PDA

View Full Version : Fedora 15 KDE v Gnome

mad_jock
1st Oct 2011, 09:34
Just butchering my netbook.

Playing about with some live OS's to see which one gets fired onto it.

Read a few articles about the differences.

Is it purely down to which one feels right for you or is there any advantages KDE over Gnome.

I have been quite happy with fedora in previous versions so will proberly stick with that as base.

Or if there are any other desktops folk can recommend

Mac the Knife
1st Oct 2011, 11:24
Mepis - MEPIS | A Linux operating system based on Debian Stable (http://www.mepis.org/) - has been around for quite a while and is excellent.:ok:

DistroWatch.com: MEPIS Linux (http://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=mepis)

I've never liked Gnome much

Mac

:ok:

Bushfiva
1st Oct 2011, 12:10
It's what feels right for you. If you ever get to the point where you think you need to make the change, you will have acquired the skill to do it.

mad_jock
1st Oct 2011, 13:55
I will give that a shot MAc thanks very much.

Used to be a sys admin on solaris years ago.

I can still can remember how to use vi so will give a few a whirl before deciding although i suppose I could just have both gnome and kde on the machine and decide on log in. but thats very wastefull keeping the two sets of libaries

JamesT73J
6th Oct 2011, 15:50
I have honestly no preference. I'm more familiar with Gnome, but KDE 4 is pretty decent, although I swear it's a hair slower.

le Pingouin
7th Oct 2011, 00:52
Having both doesn't take up that much room & it means you can use programs that require either set of libraries.

mad_jock
10th Oct 2011, 08:28
I did fire both on a memory stick and I see what you mean about kde seeming a ball hair slower.

Had a play with MAC's distro but which did seem OK but then went back to fedora as it worked out the box and I am used to its distro and where to get files etc.

Anyway had a a play with Libreoffice which seems pretty good compared to openoffice.

BUt still the whole thing took less time and less hassel than doing a windows installation which is all good.

No doudt I will start butchering it in the not so distant future to various things.

The IPOD manager is way better than Itunes and allows you to "suck" as well as "blow"