PDA

View Full Version : Ever used a Doula?

Danscowpie
29th Sep 2011, 21:47
No, it's not a source of pleasure or perversion.

Youngest daughter is due to give birth in March 2012 and amongst all the other "modern literature" which is supplied these days, a "Doula" is mentioned.

Further research seems to imply that "Doulas" are that these folk are people with no medical qualiications whatsoever, but who, for a fee, will give spiritual support throughout the last stages of pregnancy and the birth.
Unfortunately, it seems to be yet another cynical money making opportunity originating from the USA. Having used the sevices of Google, I contacted our "local representitive in the area", who admitted that she had no practical experience, but had completed an online course which included the "phsycology of childbirth" and now she is entitled to charge for her services.

Well that's OK isn't it? just another way for the vunerable and ill informed to be exploited, however I am willing to be corrected.

G-CPTN
29th Sep 2011, 22:06
When my son's wife was expecting her first child, her mother was 'too busy' to attend (!) leaving my daughter in law to struggle with the 'problems' of breast-feeding and coping with a new baby.

I found a local (to them) retired midwife who talked me through what she could offer, and I offered to pay whatever was necessary, but my son declined the offer.

They had a difficult couple of weeks, but were determined to persevere without outside help (other than that provided by the visiting midwives / district nurses - who never seemed to be the same person twice).

Of course, any couple can be wise after the event, but when it's the first baby (and neither has experienced siblings or friends with babies) it's like learning to ride a bicycle without tuition.

So, I say, depending on circumstances (and finances) it might be a good idea.

If 'grandma' (or a female who has had children) is available it would be, IMO, a better solution (as far as I can remember the Doula just offered to cook meals and do shopping, house cleaning and laundry - not insignificant of course when the new mother is struggling to establish a routine with the new baby).

What is a doula? | Doula UK (http://doula.org.uk/content/what-doula)

Doula - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doula)

Gordy
29th Sep 2011, 22:32
Typically used in home births---some do have medical training. Here is an excellent video for those interested in the subject:

Born at Home on Vimeo

SpringHeeledJack
29th Sep 2011, 22:51
No, but I flew there once on some dodgy African airline :}

Seriously, I it sounds like a good idea to have a supportive source at such a time in daughters life. Good luck!

SHJ

Slasher
29th Sep 2011, 22:58
Like SHJ I thought Doula was some awful crappy town in the
middle of Africa somewhere or a voodoo chief or something.

Dunno much about this Doula business but it seems another
form of ripoff to me. The total costs of natal and post natal
care are expensive enough without throwing in some bugger
with his hand out doing a job old granny could do for nicks.

Save yer money Danscowpie.

Airborne Aircrew
29th Sep 2011, 23:21
How weak and useless have we become that we can't reproduce and care for our offspring without help.

The cockroaches are laughing at us... :ugh:

Arm out the window
29th Sep 2011, 23:23
Go ahead and get her a Doula, and while you're at it, hire one of those people who can take away pain by waving their hands over your skin without actually touching you. That'll be heaps better than anaesthesia.

I'd save your Doulas and give them directly to the young couple, if I was you, or in your case it would probably be Poonds.

:)

HKPAX
30th Sep 2011, 01:40
Looking at that Doula website it occurred to me that HM Government could impose a useful tax on the word "empower" and its various faddish derivatives. Other words could include "sustainable". Could end up with a long list. 50 a pop would get the dustbins emptied every week.

obgraham
30th Sep 2011, 04:19
So, I spend an extra 13 years learning my profession, pass licensing and specialty examinations in 2 countries, subject myself to interminable regulations from every agency imaginable, and look over my shoulder daily to see an f'ing lawyer ready to second guess everything. Despite this, more or less successfully oversee the arrival of some 8000 babies.

Not to mention the skilled folks in the nursing, labor/delivery, neonatal nursery, and anesthesia departments who all also work hard to provide a safe and comfortable experience for all involved.

Then some hairy legged twit takes a 2 day online course and is suddenly qualified to help women avoid having me or the staff mess up their case. And for some reason people are willing to pay for it privately.

It'd be like having the airlines fire the pilots, mechanics, and ATC's and hand the passenger a DVD on how to fly themselves to their destination.

No, I'm not a cynic!

HKPAX
30th Sep 2011, 04:23
Hope Mr O'Deary doesn't see your suggestion obgraham!

Rollingthunder
30th Sep 2011, 04:37
I thought it was a Hungarian rolling pin.

Gordy
30th Sep 2011, 06:10
obgraham:

It'll be ok...trust me....I have the watch to prove it....

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j35/helokat/funnies/gynecologistwat12019211.jpg

OFSO
30th Sep 2011, 16:31
Well, having SOMEONE around might be nice......my niece and her husband just produced their second child in a south-of-the-Thames London hospital. As soon as the baby appeared it was washed and wrapped up: but niece and her husband left to do the clearing up of the bed, room, floor etc, then handed baby and asked to go home - no medical checks of baby or mother, but "come back next day and we'll do some tests".

The New South Wales side of the family described it as a "Bush Birth" by their standards.

racedo
30th Sep 2011, 20:31
OP

Pay for them to join the NCT and the courses they offer as they provide support pre and post support.

Also pay for them to go to a Cranial Osteopath with child speciality within a week or two of giving birth as may identify small problems early.

RedhillPhil
30th Sep 2011, 21:03
You never know what you need until someone tells you you have to have one.
I've never drunk bottled water or taken that Yakult (or similar) stuff. Somehow I've made it to 61 and.......my mother gave birth to me in the front bedroom of 52, Canal Road. She didn't have a Doollally, they weren't invented then. The local midwife sufficed. Mother is still hale and hearty at 82.

ChristiaanJ
30th Sep 2011, 21:51
Gordy,
Thanks for the video, even if I wasn't born that way, and neither were my children....

With the disappearance of the "extended family" in the Western world, the Doula somehow sounds like a good idea....

CJ

lexxity
30th Sep 2011, 22:48
Do not get her to join the NCT, too many hairy legged dogooders there all espousing "natural drug free births and bottle feeding is for the evil." :* A good, experienced Doula can be worth every penny, but if she lives in a good area the NHS care will be good anyway. A doula can be useful if there is no other birth partner for her. Research, research, research.

Something you can do to help is to book Ocado to deliver a freezer full of their ready meals and pies. Top quality stuff and ideal for those first few days of new parenthood.

V2-OMG!
1st Oct 2011, 21:54
Whatever it takes to get you through it "naturally" vs. the "Too posh to push" nonsense.
Medicine: Too Posh To Push? - TIME (http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,993857,00.html)

lexxity
2nd Oct 2011, 21:50
I HATE the tag "too posh to push", it's beeing used to verbally assualt women who have had to have an elective, which means scheduled, section or equally emergency sections. I've had one of each and quite frankly what is needed is education rather than beating with a sticl of natural is the only "right" way.

Cacophonix
2nd Oct 2011, 22:42
Eek!

Caco

Cacophonix
2nd Oct 2011, 23:00
OBRtgAM_fQ4

Caco

Cacophonix
2nd Oct 2011, 23:05
-p1NRLFso6Q

Caco