PDA

View Full Version : Elvington Aerodrome

CharlieLimaX-Ray
29th Sep 2011, 10:29
After WW2 what was the main role for Elvington aerodrome?

When did it go back to a single runway?

Is it still used today apart from the Yorkshire Air Museum?

wieesso
29th Sep 2011, 10:47
...just to start with...
"After the war Elvington was rebuilt as a United States Air Force base for Supreme Allied Commander Europe’s massive B-47 aircraft of the nuclear force that did not, in the event, deploy."
Elvington Airfield History (http://elvingtonairfield.co.uk/elvington-airfield-history)

ExAscoteer
29th Sep 2011, 11:53
massive B-47 aircraft

Elvington was enlarged into a single (10,000ft) runway airfield in 1952 by the USAF for the deployment of the B36 Peacemaker (the B47 didn't go operational until 1953). However, owing to obsolescence, the aircraft was never deployed there and the USAF pulled out in 1958.

It was used by Blackburn to test the Buccaneer as well as later being used as a Relief Landing Ground for Flying Training. There are claims that it was only used by the FTSs at Church Fenton and Linton on Ouse, but it was also used by the METS Jetstreams operating out of Finningley (I did several trips to/from Elvington whilst going through METS).

From 1970 onwards it was used on an opportunity basis for car 'Speed Events'.

The airfield was closed in 1992 and sold by the MoD in 1999.

Sleeve Wing
29th Sep 2011, 20:24
Did a lot of my Vampire solo circuit bashing there in 1962.
I was then a Royal Navy student at 1 FTS, RAF Linton on Ouse, before further going on to RNAS Lossiemouth for swept-wing conversion.

I also remember going to a couple of Formula 3 clubman races there in the Summer of 1962.

This April actually saw a return flight, for the first time since those days, when I took some friends in a Piper Arrow to visit the marvellous Museum. Still a huge runway !

Chris_H81
30th Sep 2011, 08:53
Many fond memories of watching what seemed like a constant stream of Jet Provosts do touch & go's there in my youth (in hindsight probably just a few aircraft doing circuits). Sadly now the airfield is having problems with local NIMBY-types complaining about noise, compared to the good old JP the sounds emanating from the motorsport events held there are a mere whisper!

DeepestSouth
30th Sep 2011, 14:15
Noise - oh, I don't know about that. Must have been Summer 1971 (can't check log book at the moment), Yorkshire UAS Chipmunk Navex from Church Fenton. Bimbling along nicely at 2,000 feet and about 2 miles South of Elvington when we (instructor I** H*****) and self heard this thunderous roar above the sound of the engine and through the helmet - so ... it was LOUD!. Instruments all OK and nothing falling off the aeroplane, looked left and down to see something long and very thin hurtling down the Elvington runway with what looked like reheat. I** remembered that a potential Land Speed Record car was doing promotional/fund raising demo runs that weekend. The noise at ground-level must have been incredible!