PDA

View Full Version : Bureaucracy ?

tony draper
29th Sep 2011, 10:02
Just been a item on the news re the poor rate of child adoption in this country,chap talked about the insanity of the bureaucracy involved,apparently there is a eight page assessment of the suitability of potential adopters family pets,a seperate one for each pet no doubt,I kid you not.
The human race has been cursed by these paper shuffing feckwits since we came down from the trees,yet despite all the political promises of cutting down on same every election still it thrives.
:uhoh:

charliegolf
29th Sep 2011, 10:55
Tony, I think you are missing an important point.

The Office for National Statistics has been reporting a large reduction, year on year, of lesbian amputee smokers of mixed race and learning difficulties. Who then, can we trust to adopt the poor foundlings?

CG

Edited for Storminnorm's important observation on quals

tony draper
29th Sep 2011, 11:16
One is involved in a bit of a tussle with paper shufflers at the mo,one inadvertantly tore up the telephone bill and need a new one so I can pay the buggah,a situation that must be far from unique a simple transaction you would think,not so not so, := tak tsk tsk are you mad,the telephone help line has been down for a week and after going through the various button pressing options and finding the right department I am told there is a fault with the help line system and they intend to fix it eventually.
So one resorted to email,one asked them to send me a replacement bill,simple enouph eh? no no no neddy,the password one supplied is not the one they gave me 11 years ago,they have to think of security.
Bare in mind one only wishes to give them some money, it matters not one jot whether I go to the corner shop with the correct password in me head which the shop certainly had no interest in and pay said money or SIL pays it on my behalf or indeed I send down small white hound with cash and a note fastened to his collar,they will still get the cash?
We now on six emails exchanged,and their telephone help line is still f**cked.
:suspect:

Storminnorm
29th Sep 2011, 11:35
I DO smoke, but lack any of the other Qualifications needed
for adopting I'm afraid.

Arm out the window
29th Sep 2011, 11:39
A mate of mine and his Mrs, both fine people, have been attempting to jump through the hoops and adopt a child for quite some time, having had the misfortune to not be able to have one in the usual way.

They've been filling in forms, having interviews, providing proof of why they would be suitable parents yada yada for, must be 5 or 6 years now at least - probably more - and the answer from the bureaucrats is always some years from 'now', no matter when now is.

I've stopped asking them how it's all going now because I don't want to bring them down having to explain the latest bullshit shifting of goalposts.

Amazing, in a very sad way.

martynj3
29th Sep 2011, 11:39
How about ignoring the due date and waiting for the next (red) demand? As such a loyal customer of great tenure, they are hardly likely to cut you off in your prime.

(tongue in cheek, grab hat, coat etc.....)

tony draper
29th Sep 2011, 12:08
The last time something simillar happened first thing I kenw about it is when they cut orf me tinternet and telephone,at least the telephone help line worked back then as it was manned by humans based in this country and I got it reconnected instanta.
On another occasion I wandered down to the shop with the pay point as per usual handed over the cash for the two seprate bills for me broadnand and telephone,(I do not have their cable TV) why two separate bills is a puzzle to start with,lassy behind the counter mistakenly credited the broadband bill with both amounts,thus according to them I had not paid me telephone bill,another right farce to get put right.
:(

goudie
29th Sep 2011, 12:24
why two separate bills

I have dual fuel supplied by EDF. Bills for gas and elec. arrive seperately although on the same day mostly, and I always receive duplicate mail for promotions etc.
This extra cost of postage etc. is, of course, part of my fuel costs. When I pointed this out to them, some years ago, they said they were 'working on it'.

I believe it's the same with other energy companies.

Torque Tonight
29th Sep 2011, 12:29
Reports over the years strongly indicate that if you are a married, white, Christian, educated, employed financially secure couple you will be ineligable. If you are a single, mentally subnormal, lesbian, crackhead, Marxist, on the dole with a criminal record you are a perfect role model and ideally suited to bring up a child, in accordance with PC diversity quotas. Great stuff.

Keef
29th Sep 2011, 12:35
Indeed, TT. If you are Christian, I think you are automatically barred because in huggyfluff land, Christianity counts as child abuse. They forced all the Christian adoption agencies to close down. That may be part of the reason for the fall in numbers of adoptions, I dunno.

(Not that the bureaucratic system would admit that, of course).

vulcanised
29th Sep 2011, 12:43
When my father left home and set up with a woman (also still married) over30 years ago they were able to adopt two young children in a very short time (a few months).

Doesn't say much for the system.

HKPAX
29th Sep 2011, 13:05
Your opinion is disgustingly cynical TT, totally so, but I have a lingering fear you may be right.

radeng
29th Sep 2011, 13:19
TT is not cynical, just right.

er340790
29th Sep 2011, 15:00
Bureaucracy???? DON'T EVEN :mad: START ME!!!

Finally managed to sever a property lot in far north of Ontario.

24 months of of dealing with hordes of clipboard-equipped minions from... (I kid you not)....

1. Ministry of the Environment (MOE)

2. Ministry of Natural Resources (MNR)

3. Ministry of Transportation (MTO)

4. Ministry of Municipal Affairs and Housing (MMAH)

5. Municipal Property Assessment Corp (MPAC)

6. District Health Unit. (DHU)

7. Ministry of Silly Walks (MSW)

Actually I made the last one up - would probably have got far too much sense out of Monty Python.

Ever wondered why all western Govts are bankrupt and we will all have to work 'til we drop???

In most civilised parts of the world, one pays ones bribe to the corrupt official, gets a rubber stamp of his bit of paper and carries on....

THE NET EFFECT IS THE SAME!!!!!!!

green granite
29th Sep 2011, 15:33
In most civilised parts of the world, one pays ones bribe to the corrupt official, gets a rubber stamp of his bit of paper and carries on....

THE NET EFFECT IS THE SAME!!!!!!!
er340790 is online now Report Post Reply

But cheaper.

vulcanised
29th Sep 2011, 15:35
Good example of bureaucracy on C4 Grand Designs last night.

Chap wanted to build a super house on the remains of the old lifeboat house/launch ramp at Tenby.

First off, it took him 7 years negotiating with various parties just to buy it. Then, we are told "it's Grade II listed" (wtf ? It's rotting into the sea).

He spent an undisclosed fortune, reckoned to be well north of half a million, restoring and renovating, but not quite up to the standard he wanted because of the listing.

If he hadn't come along it would probably be a heap of scrap by now.

radeng
29th Sep 2011, 15:59
Like the tunnel on the Basingstoke Canal. Cannot be restored and reopened because that would disturb the bat population. However, not restoring it leaves the probability that sooner or later it will fall in, killing the bats anyway..

1DC
29th Sep 2011, 16:30
We have friends who went through a long process to adopt a brother and sister from a broken home, mother was incapable of looking after them. Eventually they were allowed to adopt the kids, who were almost out of control.They tried to turn them around with love and a good upbringing, good schooling.They had some success, not much, and brought them up in an atmosphere totally removed from what they had come from.
From being totally overjoyed when they realised that they finally had two kids to bring up, now about 15 difficult years later they are depressed at the thought that the results of their efforts is two more chavs to go back towards the society that they came from. They can't work out where they went wrong and i don't think they did much wrong. I feel very sorry for them and the kids.

hellsbrink
29th Sep 2011, 19:15
The story, fairly recently, about how a couple were refused the right to adopt because the man actually smoked TWO cigars in a one year period, and no cigarettes, speaks volumes.

The ability to look after a kid is immaterial if you are too fat (by someone's own "standard"), drink alcohol (any amount), smoke (any amount), are not a one-legged single lesbian Somali truck driver..........

one inadvertantly tore up the telephone bill and need a new one so I can pay the buggah,a situation that must be far from unique a simple transaction you would think,not so not so,

Easy here. Go online, look at "rekening", pick latest bill, print off (or just write down the details so you can use the PC Banking thingie).

tony draper
29th Sep 2011, 19:25
I pay bills with good honest cash at the paypoint in the corner shop Mr H, I refuse to have anything to do with banks online or otherwise.:rolleyes:

hellsbrink
29th Sep 2011, 19:44
Yeah, but I can just print off the bill and take it to wherever I can pay it, using cash if I feel like it.

The bottom line is getting a replacement bill here is easier than cooking a steak (and I like my steaks "Bleu").

Solid Rust Twotter
29th Sep 2011, 19:50
You cook your steaks?

The horror....:}

hellsbrink
29th Sep 2011, 20:26
Custom and politeness says I have to suffer the outside being warmed. One must make the occasional sacrifice, you know.