PDA

View Full Version : Royal Air Force Club

SOSL
29th Sep 2011, 05:00
Haven't seen much good news about the Club on the forum.

It is the most fantastic amenity for RAF Officers (and all other entitled people), in London.

It is, without exception, the least expensive and the most stylish place to stay on Piccadilly.

I have used the Club for 40 years and I have never been unable to book a room when I needed one.

Whenever I and/or my family have stayed in the club we have been treated with courtesy and even kindness by the staff.

The standard of food served in the dining room and in the Running Horse is first class.

The bedrooms and public rooms have been continually refurbished, over the last 15 years, to a high standard, showing both good taste and utility.

It is also a safe place in central London and has facilities for changing into whatever clothes you need to wear for an evening out.

In my view it is an amazing asset for those of us who could benefit from its superb facilities.

Yrs SOS

Not Long Here
29th Sep 2011, 05:14
SOSL,

Don't know what prompted you to post but I presume you retired at a fairly high rank and you want to pre-emptively defend the RAF Club. I was RAF for 34 years and never managed to get a booking at the RAF Club, and coming from Kinloss I had to have accommodation sorted.

On posting to Boscombe Down I again tried to book a weekend there - no joy and that was the final nail in the coffin.

I withdrew my Direct Debit - had the mandatory interview and said exactly what I thought - it is there for the benefit of retired senior officers and not for the benefit of current guys.

Thankfully I am long gone to a far better society:ok:

Exascot
29th Sep 2011, 05:25
There is already a long running thread titled: http://www.pprune.org/military-aircrew/452543-royal-air-force-club.html

SOSL
29th Sep 2011, 05:32
Hi NLH - no, retired at a relatively low rank. I just posted my own relatively humble, but accurate, experience of the Club.

Hi Exa - saw that, not really my sort of thread.

Siggie
29th Sep 2011, 05:57
Hi Exa - saw that, not really my sort of thread.

Is that a thread where all points of view are covered, not just positive ones?

If everybody started a separate thread on exactly the same topic because they didn't like the opinions of other people who are equally entitled to theirs, then we would have a forum full of single post topics.

If a thread degenerates into a slanging match, I leave it alone, posting another thread on the same subject is just asking for the same thing to happen.

If your intention was to stir the pot, then carry on.

I'm glad that you've had a very positive experience of the club, others have not.