PDA

View Full Version : A380 at Filton

rockrats
28th Sep 2011, 19:01
Chaps.

An A380 landed at Filton at approximately 1900. In 'Airbus' colours....

Any info...?

Cheers in advance! :ok:

BN2A
28th Sep 2011, 23:42
They thought it was Bristol???

:oh:

crewmeal
29th Sep 2011, 05:18
I thought Filton had closed.

supercarb
29th Sep 2011, 06:55
Filton is due to close in December 2012, although a campaign has started to try and keep it open. Save Filton Airfield (http://www.savefiltonairfield.org/)

The A380 is there for fuel tests.

MerchantVenturer
29th Sep 2011, 19:01
They thought it was Bristol???

Maybe they did.

Around half past two this afternoon I was walking the woods and combes to the south and west of Bristol Airport on a glorious autumn day and had been idly watching the succession of take-offs from runway 27 mainly involving easyJet and Ryanair interspersed with the odd Flybe, KLM Cityhopper and Eastern.

I had reached a point where the runway was out of view but the aircraft came into my sight as they climbed away about a quarter of a mile beyond the western airport boundary.

I could hear the noise of what I thought was the next in line to take off when, lo and behold, an A380 hove into view looking for all the world as if it had just taken off from the limited confines of the Lulsgate runway. It climbed gradually before turning right in the general direction of the city.

I assumed it had carried out an approach to 27 and overflown the runway before climbing away.

An A 380 has done this sort of thing at least once before in recent years when in the area visiting Filton. In the early days of the 380 when the type was undergoing tests at Filton the aircraft gave the citizens of Bristol a grandstand view by circling the city several times to show itself off on more than one occasion.

I wonder what those local village residents who oppose BRS thought when they saw a 380 apparently on finals this afternoon and about to set down on Broadfield Down, aka BRS/EGGD.

LukeA346
2nd Oct 2011, 11:53
Anyone have any information on if or when likey to return?