PDA

View Full Version : Iraq to buy US F16s

SRENNAPS
28th Sep 2011, 11:05
BBC News - Iraq makes first payment in deal to buy 18 US F-16s (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-15083193)

And so the cycle continues…………..

Fox3WheresMyBanana
28th Sep 2011, 11:12
Well, at least we'll know the state of their jets and pilot training if/when push comes to shove next time.

..and it should be easier to find someone who speaks Yank rather than French like last time.

L J R
28th Sep 2011, 12:05
So now Iran is surrounded by the sound of Red White and Blue airpower.....:oh:

SRENNAPS
28th Sep 2011, 12:13
Maybe we will get the opportunity to sell Typhoons to the Libyan rebels…….with an appropriate discount of course.

fallmonk
28th Sep 2011, 16:54
Does any one know if they are new jets?
Or ex USAF jets ? And what model ?

A and C
28th Sep 2011, 17:06
My guess would be USAF castoffs at least that way you know exactly what you are up against if the political situation turns bad..........or should that be when !

Pontius Navigator
28th Sep 2011, 17:23
Read and interesting novel on Kindle Line of Control. One premise is that US aircraft have a God switch. You buy the jets legitimately, then you become unfriendly to the US, so they simply switch off the electronics.

Simples.

RAFEngO74to09
28th Sep 2011, 17:30
They are new F-16C Block 52 aircraft. This order will now keep the production line open to 2015.

Iraq F-16 Deal Welcome Boost for Lockheed - Defense News (http://www.defensenews.com/story.php?i=7805262&c=AIR&s=TOP)

Trim Stab
28th Sep 2011, 18:34
Read and interesting novel on Kindle Line of Control. One premise is that US aircraft have a God switch. You buy the jets legitimately, then you become unfriendly to the US, so they simply switch off the electronics.

So nobody ever buys US export aircraft ever again - not clever. Also, rather easy to spot, and is a use-once tactic.

Much cleverer would be to build in the ability to slightly degrade. Harder to spot, and can be used as a long-term strategy.

Nobody has ever thought of that before me, of course...

Bob Viking
28th Sep 2011, 18:42
...or just turn off the spares supply chain. They probably wouldn't last very long.
BV:O

Not_a_boffin
28th Sep 2011, 18:48
The IIRAF (near neighbours) seem to have managed to survive a spares cutoff (after a fashion) with their F4, F5 and F14s since 1980..........

Modern Elmo
30th Sep 2011, 03:17
One premise is that US aircraft have a God switch. You buy the jets legitimately, then you become unfriendly to the US, so they simply switch off the electronics.

Oh, there's no truth to those silly allegations, none at all. People just write that stuff in stupid novels.

Nothing for any foreign friends to worry about.

FoxtrotAlpha18
30th Sep 2011, 05:06
A Pakistani General recently admitted to Turkish media that he was aware the US had the ability to deactivate systems on the PAF's new F-16s.

I'd suspect that, rather than being an obvious "switch", it's more likely to be a few lines of software code buried deep somewhere.

Buster Hyman
30th Sep 2011, 06:28
A Pakistani General recently admitted to Turkish media that he was aware the US had the ability to deactivate systems on the PAF's new F-16s.

Yes, and this is what appears onscreen when it happens...

http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSsWNuKXZRKCcsrgVdO2Hr_OitA3xjd9ddrDgKMYYD M8la90KhY

rh200
30th Sep 2011, 06:31
Though I would imagine some smart cookie could come up with the idea, and there is distinct advantages to having such a system for specific "allies". I think the draw back would be if it is not a urban myth then most people are just going to buy it.

airpolice
1st Oct 2011, 08:08
D'you suppose this is why the MOD insisted on replacing the avionics in the Chinooks stored at Shawbury?

Willard Whyte
1st Oct 2011, 08:16
No, that was because they're arrogant idiots.

SirToppamHat
1st Oct 2011, 12:09
PN,

Presumably either:

Tom Clancy's (Op Centre) Line of Control by Jeff Rovin

or:

Line of Control by Mainak Dhar

STH

Nervous SLF
2nd Oct 2011, 00:16
I seem to remember reading a few years ago about the true fact that a tremendous amount of electronic chips bought and used by the U.S. military were made in China. There was a story that these chips / circuit boards might have had a secret switch, for want of a better word, that the Chinese could use to de-activate those systems.Caused a bit of a stir at the time.

phil9560
2nd Oct 2011, 01:59
I suspect said chips were rigorously reverse engineered prior to use :=