PDA

View Full Version : BPPV & Epley

OFSO
28th Sep 2011, 10:33
Aluminum foil helmet time, I'm afraid, but I want to ask this:

Twelve months ago I'd never heard of BPPV, or benign paroxysmal positional vertigo which is caused by displacement of tiny crystals in the semi-circular canals behind the ear. Very nasty as head spins, eyes rotate, and you plummet to the ground. Anyway a few months ago I had a bout of this, and in the same week (honestly !) so did my mother-in-law and her sister. And here in Spain the pharmacist's aunt, and a friend of my wife in London.

I looked up the cure on Google, a fairly simple routine called the Epley manoeuvre. (It works).

Again, I'd never heard of this before.

Yet last week there were two programs on the BBC Steam Radio about it, illness, cure etc.

Why ? Is it happening more often ? If so, why ? More people talking about it ? Or something more sinister.........

Airborne Aircrew
28th Sep 2011, 11:29
It's another one of those "syndromes" or whatever that doctors who aren't very good at doctoring and therefore will never make much of themselves make up so they can have something to cure and make money out of. It's probably related to one we've had here in the states for a while called "Restless Leg Syndrome"...

OFSO
28th Sep 2011, 11:35
But a serious one. When you get it and wake up on the floor with a broken nose and concussion, you don't laught at it.....

sitigeltfel
28th Sep 2011, 11:37
Very nasty as head spins, eyes rotate, and you plummet to the ground.

A decent bottle of Margaux has the same effect.

handsfree
28th Sep 2011, 11:38
..... and Restless Legs brought about by chronic renal failure or diabetes aren't fun either.

UniFoxOs
28th Sep 2011, 13:05
Must be catching, Ian McNiece's character had it in Doc Martin this week.

The Epley manoevre sounded like a load of bull to me, invented for the storyline, nice to know it's true.

sisemen
28th Sep 2011, 14:29
. Very nasty as head spins, eyes rotate, and you plummet to the ground

Amazing coincidence. I had this self same problem last night. 'Twas the wife's birthday and I am sure that the equivalent of 2 bottles of wine was not part of the problem.

Ah, c'mon - this IS JetBlast did you honestly expect anything other than a piss take?

OFSO
28th Sep 2011, 14:41
Alcohol has the same effect on the teensy weensy little hairs in the inner ears. In fact it thins out the liquid naturally contained therein and enables those wicked little crystals to move about.

The Epley manoeuvre was kept fairly secret for years by neurologists who charged a lot to sort the problem out but nowadays anyone who can call up YouTube can see how it's done.

Back to my theme: does seem to be a lot of it about in the past few months.....

Shack37
28th Sep 2011, 16:11
This theme caught my attention because Mrs.37 suffered something similar (though not quite so drastic) and was diagnosed with "Vertigos". Medication prescribed and some head moving exercises. Would this be Epley? Must look it up.

Similar to OFSO's experience, once mentioned everybody and his cousin seemed to have it.

gingernut
28th Sep 2011, 22:48
I love the word "benign":)