PDA

View Full Version : New York cops can shoot down airliners?

stepwilk
27th Sep 2011, 01:24
The NYPD has openly announced that it has the capability to shoot down an airliner, assuming there is another 9/11-type attack.

NYPD can shoot down an airliner? Experts troubled. - CSMonitor.com (http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/2011/0926/NYPD-can-shoot-down-an-airliner-Experts-troubled)

These are guys I don't even want touching my Porsche, much less firing missiles. Although one "expert" theorized that maybe this means they mounted a .50-cal in one of their helos. Love to see one of their combat-naive fling-wing pilots trying to intercept a 500-knot airliner and establish a firing solution for his equally untrained door gunner...

Lyman
27th Sep 2011, 01:35
I would expect some iteration of shoulder operated 'Stinger'. Or RPG from Helo.

Would they have splashed that Cirrus that drove into the Manhattan Highrise? Some Yankee Pitcher type?

Which brings into the mix how much power do we want the beat cop to have?

Then again, if NYPD has purchased some A-4's, and is looking for pilots....

lomapaseo
27th Sep 2011, 01:36
No good will come of this press release. Sometimes it helps to just shut up.

It reminds me of the pilots wanting to carry guns. The public distrusts any pronouncements like this.

Just go ahead and do it without the fan fare and deny the rumor, else there will be a free-for-all argument of who's in charge that just opens up all kinds of thoughts in the bad and good guys heads

keezy44
27th Sep 2011, 01:41
We have a red headed cop here with a have gun will travel attitude. Please don't issue him a SAM.

rh200
27th Sep 2011, 01:55
Just go ahead and do it without the fan fare and deny the rumor, else there will be a free-for-all argument of who's in charge that just opens up all kinds of thoughts in the bad and good guys heads

The sad fact of that argument is over your neck of the woods (too a lesser extent ours) you have the ACLU type of group who will go to the ends of the Earth to bring it into the public domain. If not there are charges of this, and that, and the sky is falling etc etc.

westhawk
27th Sep 2011, 05:41
I saw the 60 minutes piece on Sunday. Suffice to say that the issue of intruder aircraft is best resolved in other ways by agencies better qualified to do so than the NYPD!

500N
27th Sep 2011, 06:34
I read in an article that the NYPD helicopter has space for a 50 cal to be mounted.

As per the previous poster, why have an Air Force if the NYPD wants to do everything themselves.

But more importantly, on whose Authority would they shoot down an airliner ?
I thought in the US this authority was held by only a few people.

I hope they don't try firing a stinger or an RPG from a Helo unless they are trying to shoot themselves down.

Cacophonix
27th Sep 2011, 08:02
Well the NYPD seemed quite happy to pepper spray citizens recently exercising their constitutional rights (1st amendment I think) so what's a missile or two between the flying citizenry?

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. - TJ

Caco

cwatters
27th Sep 2011, 08:38
What they going to do if the hit one, hope it crashes in central park?

captjns
27th Sep 2011, 08:58

I think the news about a couple of shoulder launched missiles or browning 50 mm guns on helicopters is quite pale in comparison to the numerous shoulder launched missiles and other weapons that mysteriously went missing from Libyan armories in recent weeks.

Great job:} to the white wine drinking folks at NATO and the UN for the cock up:D.

mickjoebill
27th Sep 2011, 10:27
Has there been any weapon issued to the NYPD that they have yet to use?

ie is it inevitable they will let one loose sooner or later?

Mickjoebill

tony draper
27th Sep 2011, 10:40
I remember many years ago Govenors of certain States wanted access to Tactical Nuclear weapons for their National Guard.
:uhoh:

MagnusP
27th Sep 2011, 10:47
Drapes, was that for use by or use on their National Guard?

corsair
27th Sep 2011, 10:49
It's complete bullpoo. Macho posturing, it seems to me.

The practical difficulties make it near impossible for a start. Unless NY was surrounded by missile batteries manned by bored cops it could never work. So we're expected to believe NYPD has a bunch of ManPads ready for instant action. As soon as the word is out that a rogue airliner is coming to Manhattan they leap into action and shoot it down into one of the most crowded cities in the world.

Yeah, pull the other one.

As for machine guns in helicopters, yes that'll work if the hijacker slows it down to the stall and formates within range.:ugh:

Cacophonix
27th Sep 2011, 10:52
Drapes, was that for use by or use on their National Guard?

Could have been used to drop on NYPD HQ!

Bunch of bozos.

Caco

Takan Inchovit
27th Sep 2011, 10:57
MANPADS on the roof of every building. Yell out 'Boo" over a PA and watch the show. :}

Lon More
27th Sep 2011, 11:12
http://www.twitfall.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/02/apachespeedtrap.jpg

Cacophonix
27th Sep 2011, 11:17
Lon

Please don't post things like that. ;)

You will give the Essex police even more ideas. Six signs indicating that they are enforcing speed limit by helicopter along the 15 mile stretch through the Rodings! :ugh:

If they are then I am asking why they can't pay to put a couple of men/women on the beat here! Waste of time and signage methinks.

Surprised they didn't put a bid in for the retired Harriers!

Caco

Lon More
27th Sep 2011, 11:29
A snippet spotted in Pilot Magazine and entered in Bike Magazine: The article was entitled "In a hurry are we, sir?" ( British Police Wit).
Two members of the Lothian and Borders traffic police were out on the Berwickshire moors with a radar gun recently, happily engaged in apprehending speeding motorists, when their equipment suddenly locked-up completely with an unexpected reading of well over 300 mph. The mystery was explained seconds later as a low flying Harrier hurtled over their heads.
The boys in blue, upset at the damage to their radar gun, put in a complaint to the RAF, but were somewhat chastened when the RAF pointed out that the damage might well have been more severe. The Harrier's target-seeker had locked on to the `enemy' radar and triggered an automatic retaliatory air-to-surface missile attack. Luckily(?), the Harrier was operating unarmed.

rh200
27th Sep 2011, 11:38
Lon

fancy you should post that pick, I've always had this thought (well fantasy really) of the cops getting a pile of predators armed with hellfires. Then the next time there's a high speed chase (not one of these pansy things you see in the states going 5 miles an hour with a dozen cops chancing them), just wait till they get into the open and wham. That should stop all the little sh!ts from running every time the cops try and pull them over.

automatic retaliatory air-to-surface missile attackSuppose you can't get one of them for a Toyota Landcruiser, would be real good for multinova speed camera's.

Lon More
27th Sep 2011, 11:44
rh200 IIRC there was a Finnish(?) proposal to mount a harpoon on the front of police cars that could be fired into vehicles being pursued and bring them to a halt. I think it disappeared when they started to think about the kinetics of, say, a Mini, trying to stop an articulated truck,

edited to add:
Found it!!

Torque Tonight
27th Sep 2011, 11:45
Lon, that story is about as old as the aircraft carrier / lighthouse story! Probably based on an element of truth but embellished many times. What I can tell you is that on the ops desk of 27 Sqn, there is a nice picture of a Chinook taken by a GATSO camera as it crested a hill and clocked at about 150mph.

tony draper
27th Sep 2011, 11:51
Wasn't that what happened to our replacement AWACS system Mr More?, they were locking onto trains on the Tyneside Metro System.

TWT
27th Sep 2011, 12:15
Or instead of the Predator/Hellfire solution they could use one of these:
U-uaFNGY_ug
I want one :O

Cacophonix
27th Sep 2011, 12:32
Let them try and stop me in this!!!

Eat my dirt...;)

http://db3.stb.s-msn.com/i/9E/F043329699CB9E2FE97A952B7FD9B.jpg

10 amazing facts about the Marauder (http://cars.uk.msn.com/news/photos.aspx?cp-documentid=158415469)

Caco

tony draper
27th Sep 2011, 12:33
Must be some large holes in the pattern as the chap appears to be letting rip straight at the camera man,I had a old Spanish double 12 with outside hammers that was like that,safest place for a bunny was to sit straight in front of the buggah.

Lon More
27th Sep 2011, 12:37
Probably skid off the road on its own discarded shell cases TWT

tony draper
27th Sep 2011, 12:43
Aren't they the vehicles that accompany Mr President's cavalcade as he tootles about the place now?

Lon More
27th Sep 2011, 12:48
Sssh Mr. D. shortly appearing on a CCTV near you. The black helicopters are also on the way

tony draper
27th Sep 2011, 13:03
Well the Cousins always were over generous with their lead.:rolleyes:

rh200
27th Sep 2011, 14:30
Aren't they the vehicles that accompany Mr President's cavalcade as he tootles about the place now

Yea I was thinking that to.

Well the Cousins always were over generous with their lead

In their pencils:E

daved123
27th Sep 2011, 14:50
You wanted to see me Chief ?

I said Gatso not Gatling you .... :mad:

Lon More
27th Sep 2011, 14:58
There's a long straight bit of road between two roundabouts just N. of London City (Silvertown?) One Sunday afternoon, on an otherwise deserted road I saw a cop with a Laser Speed gun taking aim at me. Went down the road at a steady 25mph with the usual idiots hanging out the back giving it Gangbusters. Cop was not amused.

Lonewolf_50
27th Sep 2011, 15:21
loma:
Agree.
captjns

I think the news about a couple of shoulder launched missiles or browning 50 mm guns on helicopters is quite pale in comparison to the numerous shoulder launched missiles and other weapons that mysteriously went missing from Libyan armories in recent weeks.
Great job to the white wine drinking folks at NATO and the UN for the cock up.

Yep. There's no telling where one of those MANPADS will end up.

Tony D

Well the Cousins always were over generous with their lead.

'Tis better to give than to receive. :}

Practical consideration of NYPD with a MANPAD

By the time they are alerted, and get the MANPAD uncased, and identify which COMAIR they need to shoot at, it's too late.

Fields of Fire is one thing, if one presumes a rooftop station, but target ID within the time between an airliner is identified as a target needing the MANPAD treatment and the time a successful engagement can be made before target hits its target seems to me to exceed the sensor to shooter link.

As noted above, where do you hope it crashes? A different buidling? Where the poor people live? In the Hudson?

MountainBear
27th Sep 2011, 15:29

I agree.

What people are overlooking is one simple fact. If the NYPD can do it I and any other local dumdumb can do it. Keeping a secret in the military is difficult enough, keeping a secret in the NYPD is impossible.

1..2..3..incoming Popular Mechanics article.

rgbrock1
27th Sep 2011, 16:18
There are way too many NYPD officers who couldn't find their arse with both hands, let alone shoot down an airliner. Although I have enormous respect for the NYPD, the fact remains there are too many of them who should not be police officers. Not all, mind you, just too many.

11Fan
27th Sep 2011, 16:42
When I read this, I was reminded of the scene from the movie True Lies where the bad guys try to shoot down a Harrier with a Manpad from the inside of a moving van. I can't find a clip of it but if you have seen the movie, you will remember it.

I tried doing a picture search and all that comes up is whatsherface doing that dance in the hotel room.....

um....

......what was I saying?

rgbrock1
27th Sep 2011, 16:44
11Fan:

I believe whatsherface, you are referring to, is the ever delicious Jamie Lee Curtis?

Yes, I thought so!!!!

con-pilot
27th Sep 2011, 17:34
When I read this, I was reminded of the scene from the movie True Lies where the bad guys try to shoot down a Harrier with a Manpad from the inside of a moving van. I can't find a clip of it but if you have seen the movie, you will remember it.

I tried doing a picture search and all that comes up is whatsherface doing that dance in the hotel room.....

There was a Harrier in that movie? :ooh:

rgbrock1
27th Sep 2011, 17:43
There was indeed a Harrier in the movie, con-pilot. Hovering right outside the office building which both Ahhh-nold and the nubile Ms. Curtis were inhabiting at the time.

con-pilot
27th Sep 2011, 17:49
There was indeed a Harrier in the movie, con-pilot. Hovering right outside the office building which both Ahhh-nold and the nubile Ms. Curtis were inhabiting at the time.

Really, I just don't remember much of that movie after the dance scene in the hotel room. :p

rgbrock1
27th Sep 2011, 17:51
The only reason I remember the Harrier hovering outside the building is because at the time I was busy ogling Ms. Curtis's boobs and noted the jet out of the corner of my wayward eye.

Remember the old adage: a boob or two a day keeps the doctor away.

Er. Something like that anyway.

11Fan
27th Sep 2011, 20:17
rg,

You need to watch the movie again. The dance happens some 40 minutes (in the movie) before the first Harrier scene shows up. The flight of 2 Harriers turn up when the bad guys are escaping from the island. Then Arnold splits in one and heads off to save his daughter.

I don't know what was outside of the hotel during the dance scene.

Black helicopter perhaps?

And what the hell were you doing looking out the window?

BTW, got it on DVD and I've seen it some 50 times.

Best line in the move is 30 seconds into the final credits.

Lon More
27th Sep 2011, 20:31
By the time the averae NYPD cop has decided whether it'll be the coffee or donuts he has to put down in order to pick up the MANPAD the window of opportunity will have slammed shut

tony draper
27th Sep 2011, 20:34
Proper woman shaped woman was Jamie, had a bit of meat on her bones she did unlike the skinny harridans most young chaps seem to lust after these days,one favoured The fight in the back of the Limo oneself.:E

11Fan
27th Sep 2011, 20:56
Just for you Tony.

pIfrDXRl32Y