PDA

View Full Version : Converting PPL to UAE - Medical validity

Brachetta
26th Sep 2011, 18:39
Dear all,

I am facing a situation for which I’d like to hear a word of advice from you guys in case anyone knows the answer.

I hold a PPL from Argentina with some 200 hs logged. License does not expire and is valid as far as a medical is presented with it.

Left the country more than 10 years ago and moved to United Arab Emirates, where I keep active flying Aeroprakt under UAE license, although the hours cannot be logged officially.
I have a Medical Class ONE current issued by GCAA (UAE), but when approached a school trying to convert my license to UAE in order to do my Instrument, Multi and CPL, they stopped me saying that I must produce an Argentinean Medical. The last one I’ve got there expired in ’97.
Now, this is virtually impossible as I don’t live there and don’t have even a current passport anymore for Arg. In the med examiner they told me that any medical issued by a competent entity should suffice, as stated in the license, but in the School they are unsure.

I am happy to do as many hours as the head instructor tells me to, but going for a full PPL seems to me to be unfair and a waste of my time and money…besides of being unnecessary. Flying The A-22 is not very far from flying a 152.
I have to say that head instructor was very cooperative anyhow and is willing to look into that so I keep my fingers crossed.

Does anyone know what the situation is, even if it’s in a different country? Any opinion to guide me through this would be of great help.

Thanks to all.