PDA

View Full Version : Military Vs Civvie Flying hours

JliderPilot
26th Sep 2011, 18:24
Do civilian employers make adjustments for military flying hours. E.G 3000hrs military time is maybe a whole load more flying experience than 3000hrs civil time.

gashman
26th Sep 2011, 18:42
They do, but it is factored down. As an example, I think EasyJet factor it to 0.8 so 1000hrs fast jet is seen as equivalent to 800hrs airline as far as experience goes. Airlines will still want to see the multi-engined multi-pilot time though. It is still true that a fast jet pilot with 2000 hrs in the log book will have the same number of departures and approaches to an airfield as a long-haul guy with 6000+ hrs. And the airline pilot won't have flown all of those himself (other pilot, avionics etc).

The other side of the coin is that getting an airliner down with minimum fuel burn is a skill in itself, and a fast jet pilot certainly isn't too fussed about about weight, balance, fuel loads etc. If a fast jet is full of fuel (why wouldn't you want as much fuel as possible) and the weapons are loaded in a configuration from the RTS it is in balance and will fly as far as it can or as long as it can or as fast as it can.

Bottom line, fast jets pilots are better than any other type of pilot. Fact.:E

high spirits
26th Sep 2011, 18:53
A game of 'hands in the bar'? Chocolate milk drinking contest? Man-love?

Biggus
26th Sep 2011, 18:55
Beach volleyball...?

LFFC
26th Sep 2011, 18:58
Of course, you could always check LASORS 2010 Section A Appendix B that gives instructions for adding taxi-time to your military totals. In a nutshell: fast jets add 10 minutes per sector, multis add 15 mins per sector.

LongTimeInCX
26th Sep 2011, 22:14
Converse to the Easy jet factor above, certain overseas government Aviation Authorities also have been known to accept adding 10mins per military sortie to make the hours more representative of the civvy chock to chock times. PM me if you need details.

parabellum
26th Sep 2011, 22:29
Dan Air was the last operator I remember who would allow military flying to be factored UP.

oldbeefer
27th Sep 2011, 13:45
'Bottom line, fast jets pilots are better than any other type of pilot.'

Laughed so much I nearly fell off me chair!

Torque Tonight
27th Sep 2011, 14:32
Read LASORs. What you can claim regarding taxy time allowance and how you can use it is made quite clear (and there's a bit more to it than 'just add 10%' or 'just add 10 mins').

BEagle
27th Sep 2011, 16:50
'Bottom line, fast jets pilots are better than any other type of pilot.'

Laughed so much I nearly fell off me chair!

Certainly in the UK, pilots who are not FJ pilots are held in higher esteem than they are in other countries....

Not so long ago, a graduate of some NATO scheme for training 1 or 2 RAF pilots announced to his colleagues that he'd been assessed as having done sufficiently well to be posted to fly the Wessex. At the time, the Wessex was heavily involved in Norn Irn.

"Wessex, what's that?" queried some lantern jawed Spam, with eyes only for the F-15 or F-16.

"It's a support helicopter"

"Helicopter? HELICOPTER?? Shee-hit, that's a job we give to Army non-comms...."

:rolleyes:

Anyway, as others have said, READ LASORS!!

pasptoo
27th Sep 2011, 23:15
Of course, you could always check LASORS 2010 Section A Appendix B that gives instructions for adding taxi-time to your military totals. In a nutshell: fast jets add 10 minutes per sector, multis add 15 mins per sector.

Makes you think you should have volunteered for those Friday afternoon air tests, instead of going early weekend! :E

Getting the hours in during that first tour would have paid dividends now, I guess :ok:

P.