PDA

View Full Version : Keyboard Problem?

Tankertrashnav
26th Sep 2011, 12:00
Anyone know how to solve this problem ? I have a random keyboard error when instead of getting an 'a' I get a Spanish C (with cedilla). The problem comes and goes and I haven't recently used any of the shortcuts to getting foreign accents, etc (never used Spanish characters in any case).

Any ideas? I somehow think this is a problem within the computer, rather than the keyboard, but connecting another keyboard wouldnt necessarily prove anything, as the problem is sporadic.

Any ideas?

green granite
26th Sep 2011, 12:36
Are you using a 'key scrambler' add-on? I find, just occasionally, I'm typing gobbledygook ~ well much more than I normally do.

mixture
26th Sep 2011, 13:04
If you're on windows, perhaps your language is switching inadvertently ?

Spurlash2
26th Sep 2011, 13:45
It might be a driver related snag, in which case;

Control panel|Keyboard|Hardware|Properties|Driver to see if you have any specific drivers that can be updated/reinstalled.

Another port of call would be the Ease of Access centre in the Control Panel. Check that nothing untoward is checked. (nearly a joke...)

Is your keyboard PS2 or USB?

PS. Filter keys could be another source of angst.

Mike-Bracknell
26th Sep 2011, 15:51
If you're on windows, perhaps your language is switching inadvertently ?

Indeed - if you notice you have a small blue square with "EN" normally in the system tray, then you may have configured extra languages for your OS. It's quite common, and the ALT+LeftShift combination usually switches between the languages.

Tankertrashnav
26th Sep 2011, 15:51
Thanks for the help so far. GG - no not using a key scrambler - didnt even know they existed outside of spy films. Mixture , yes I'm on Windows and that's just what seems to be happening - but only on that one key. Spurlash - its on a USB - I'll have a go at your suggestions.

Annoyingly (or not) the problem seems to have gone away for the moment. Reminds me of the smug expression on the face of some chief tech when he wrote "ground tested and found serviceable" in the F700 after some snag you'd entered. You knew he thought you were an idiot who just couldnt use the kit!

The late XV105
27th Sep 2011, 11:35
Implication of USB is "wired USB" but I share what I do in case it is "wireless USB" via a dongle on the end of a USB cable and in case anyone else with the latter finds this thread in the future.

I had a similar problem last year; occasional incorrect characters (and occasionally no characters).

The cause was my digital cordless telephone handset sitting on its base station next to the wireless keyboard dongle.

Moving the telephone a foot apart from the keyboard dongle solved the problem.

Same frequency contention and same solution for the wireless doorbell in the kitchen; it didn't always ring when the kitchen telephone base station was adjacent to it.