PDA

View Full Version : Exam from the olden days

tony draper
25th Sep 2011, 17:02
:uhoh:
http://spectrum.columbiaspectator.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/harvardexam.pdf

hellsbrink
25th Sep 2011, 17:05
:eek::eek:

That's too much for a Sunday, Mr. D, methinks another gin is in order so soothe the poor, overworked brain cells which got a real shock after looking at that link.

Shack37
25th Sep 2011, 17:26
I don't recall it being that straightforward. Still it WAS a long time ago.

green granite
25th Sep 2011, 17:28
That's too much for a Sunday, Mr. D

It's too much for me anytime, me brains addled due to old age.

HAPPY BUFFDAY NORM.

Storminnorm
25th Sep 2011, 17:42
Thanks a lot GG. Been a good day so far!!!
NOT had a single rollocking yet!!!

It can't last methinks.

Fareastdriver
25th Sep 2011, 21:37
Gud skools in my day. Even after fifty five years a lot of the Latin grammar clicked.

Mind you, I would have got thrashed if it hadn't.

corsair
25th Sep 2011, 22:23
Never did none of that Latin and Greek and I was rubbish at algebra and all that other maths stuff. I'm an intellectual pygmy.

Not sure how I ever got through the ATPL exams.

What was interesting was how little has changed in one sense. The questions seem very familiar.

I remember a few years ago watching an episode of Hornblower on TV, which for those unaware is about an young RN officer and his career in the nineteenth century. At one point he was going forward to be a Lieutenant in front of the board of officers. He was nervous before the test. At this point I turned to person in the room with me and joked. 'I bet the questions won't be that different to the pilot exams'.

The first question: 'What is a rhumb line?' I fell about laughing.

For all you non pilots and non mariners out there it means.............Ah go look it up!

Slasher
26th Sep 2011, 07:32
Well Drapes here's how I done -

TRANSLATE INTO LATIN
Gimme 1/2 a mark for knowing sum es est sumus estis sum,
and "People Called Romans They Go Home The House."

LATIN & GREEK GRAMMAR/COMPOSITION
Blew it on all fronts.

HISTORY & GEOGRAPHY
Gimme 2 1/3rd outa 10 (I knew where Mont Blanc was!)

ARITHMETIC
5 outa 8!

LOGS & TRIG
2 out of those 5

ALGEBRA
Bung me in with 5 out of 9

PLANE GEO
6 out of 8!!!

How'd I do? Knowing my luck if I got 100% theyd've probly
sent me down to Seth Efrika to've thunked up ways to blow
up the Boers or something.

tony draper
26th Sep 2011, 09:04
Good grief! I dunno Mr Slasher,one is but a facilitator,one dont do these things oneself,over there in 1869 I wudda been a gunfighter not a scholar, one dont need no edumacation to pull a Colt.
:rolleyes:
Throughout the old west I would have been known as the Shoot em in the back Kid.

Checkboard
26th Sep 2011, 14:06
I am always a bit suspicious of these postings from the gloomy depths of the internet, in that they often turn out to be faked up by someone.

Having said that - this exam isn't that bad, for a university entrance examination. Consider that the exams now are after roughly two years of preparation (the last two years of high school), then preparing for this one wouldn't require anything like that commitment.

The mathematics and geometry questions are pretty simple in the processes required, they are only complicated by the size of the numbers or number of exponents in the equations - and many of those (after having a look at them) have common factors to reduce them to fairly simple exercises.

A bit of knowledge of Fermat's factorization method, a table of logs and a slide rule, and some simple algebra required. No complicated calculus or anything!

Slasher
26th Sep 2011, 16:17
Yeh but Checks don't forget back in 1899 Universities didn't
allow you to use electronic scientific calculators on the quite
legal grounds that they weren't invented yet.

My own results were on the basis of straight pen and paper
accompanied with a slide rule.

Checkboard
26th Sep 2011, 16:40
Slide rule is wot I said, Slash :)

Slasher
26th Sep 2011, 17:31
Sorry yeh Checks I missed that bit.

Took me a while to dig up me old log tables - I can still
just make out me cheat notes surreptitiously writ up in
light pencil on the inside back cover!

hellsbrink
26th Sep 2011, 18:48
A bit of knowledge of Fermat's factorization method, a table of logs and a slide rule, and some simple algebra required. No complicated calculus or anything!

But that's the thing. When I were a swotty 11 year old, in 1979, me and another person (female) in the class were taught how to use Napiers Logs, as well as a slide rule (just so we would be kept occupied whilst the rest of the dunderheeds in the class did the "normal" stuff). When we went to high school, that went straight out the window, it was never taught in any way and we were actually told off for daring to ask about said things. Could I do that nowadays? Doubtful, since I've never used the knowledge gained in 1979. It's maybe still there, it could maybe come back to me, but I doubt it.

Things only got complicated when we went to "Higher" maths when differential calculus was suddenly thrust upon us.

So, in reality, could a "standard" student, no matter what their grades are, actually figure out the answers to some of these maths/algebra questions? I know I could, I still stun people by writing down what I am calculating, whether it is long division or whatever (old habits die hard and I can "see" the answer faster when I see the numbers in front of me) when they pull out their phone and use the calculator on it (then they wonder why I have the answer before they do), but even I am "old skool" compared to them. Could they actually do some of these questions nowadays?

Checkboard
26th Sep 2011, 21:50
Could they actually do some of these questions nowadays?
These particular questions? Probably not - but that isn't the point of posting the exam.

The exam is posted as a "Hey - things were SO much more difficult then." comment. Well - in order to show that, you should post the same number of questions from a current Latin, Greek, Greek History and Maths exam side by side in order to compare. :rolleyes:

Maths has changed in that, in the days of slide rules (and every pilot should at least remember using a circular slide rule!) and log tables, working with large numbers becomes increasingly more complex. That means that working with fractions was more important as 2/7 is easier to work with than 0.285714286.

The consequence is that the skills for reducing large fractions to small ones was an important part of working with numbers before, whereas these days (with electronic calculators) working with 0.285714286 is easier than 2/7. Consequently today's exams concentrate more on developing formulae from text descriptions, and applying calculus than pure numerical arithmetic.

tony draper
26th Sep 2011, 22:12
One pinched it from another website mostly peopled by Muricans Captain Checkers,I int complaining about how easy exams is now, after all I failed plastercine.
:(:rolleyes:

hellsbrink
26th Sep 2011, 22:20
But, Checkers, surely being able to do "mental arithmetic" is something that should be something the rugrats nowadays need to be taught?

Personally, I don't give a monkey's about how they can write an essay in whatever language. I just want to see someone that can figure out how to split 215mm in 3 to the nearest 0.5mm without using a calculator, and then not spend 15 minutes figuring out where to "mark" what they are "marking"........

It's not difficult.

Checkboard
26th Sep 2011, 23:06
after all I failed plastercine.
... and I have tried three times in my life to play a musical instrument, and failed each time :)

I think it is because I don't listen to music - and thus trying to learn to play it is like trying to speak a language without having heard it before. As a consequence, all I end up with is the musical equivalent of "baby speak" :(

But, Checkers, surely being able to do "mental arithmetic" is something that should be something the rugrats nowadays need to be taught?

Why? I mean I calculate my fuel figures (dividing and multiplying by 8) in my head - just for the exercise - but don't care if someone else uses a calculator. :confused:

G-CPTN
27th Sep 2011, 00:15
I have tried three times in my life to play a musical instrument, and failed each timeStart simply - a mouthorgan (or even a harmonica) should be within the capability of most.

Alternatively a simple tin whistle, or if you yearn to play a stringed instrument, a ukulele played with chords (rather than as a solo lead instrument) should get you started.

Failing that I'm afraid it's a triangle, tambourine or maracas or if you are ambitious in that department the castanets for you.

I believe that someone close to you owns a drumset? Rather than tackling the whole set concentrate on developing your paradiddle - it can be extremely effective on a single skin.

Ws-FTvTft4w

911slf
27th Sep 2011, 19:44
1) A gentleman need not know Latin but should at least have forgotten it. :)

2) I once invited a young lady to conjugate and she declined. :sad:

tony draper
27th Sep 2011, 20:16
Could have been worse, had it been Greek it would have been a young lad.:rolleyes: