PDA

View Full Version : Is there a way to make Windows think again about usb's ?

Mr Optimistic
25th Sep 2011, 15:35
Windows XP pc seems to get in a tangle when I plug an external hard drive into a usb slot. Usually doesn't recognise its existence and sometimes on unplugging it the usb keyboard goes awol. Can you make windows 'reset' its usb register or whatever data structure it uses for harmonising device and drivers ?

Spurlash2
25th Sep 2011, 15:46
Try this.

1.Go to your Control Panel > System > Hardware tab > and click on the "Device Manager" button.

2.In the Device Manager window, find the item or items labeled "Universal Serial Bus controllers." Open it, and double-click "USB Root Hub."

3.In the USB Root Hub Properties dialog, click on the "Power Management" tab.

4."Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" is checked by default. Uncheck this box, and click "OK."

There may well be more than one USB Root Hub.

You mention; "usually", and "sometimes", in your post, which could point to a dodgy cable/connection snag. Does moving the cable when connected have an effect?

Power supply might also be a player, insofar as the external drive needs a bit more oomph than the computer can supply.

Mr Optimistic
25th Sep 2011, 16:43
Thanks, I will give it a go. Swopping the cable may be an idea actually, tend to leave the same cable plugged in to the box. Thanks again.

Edit: there were 7 root hubs no less !

Edit^2: seems to work now, good man. I do wish MS would stop worrying about power management, they'll be banning 60W lightbulbs next.

vulcanised
25th Sep 2011, 16:57
I have a different game I have to play out when using my USB HDD (also XP).

Wanting to close it, I click on the icon in the task bar, then Stop button having selected one of the two descriptions of the device that are offered.

It ALWAYS comes back saying it can't stop it because a program is accessing it (lie).

Repeat the above but click on the other device description. 'That will do nicely, sir. You can safely disconnect it now'.

Mike-Bracknell
25th Sep 2011, 18:37
When you're in 'device manager', remove the USB controllers and reboot the system.

Your USB hub(s) should be re-found, and hopefully will work better the next time :ok:

Mr Optimistic
25th Sep 2011, 18:44
Ok MB, I'm game. Will do that. Can't quite see why there are 7 and I'll have to switch the dumb power thing off again.