PDA

View Full Version : The state of the UK today.

Baba_White_Sheep
25th Sep 2011, 09:28
Self (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/mailonsunday/index.html) explanatory. Ditto (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2041504/Police-tell-cafe-owner-Stop-showing-Bible-DVDs-arrest-you.html)

"Gone to the dogs" comes to mind.

Load Toad
25th Sep 2011, 10:05
Oh more Daily Mail outrage. Yawn.

Britain has been 'going to the dogs' just about every year since the 16th Century; it hasn't, it isn't & it won't. If you don't like it - leave.

radeng
25th Sep 2011, 10:15
The Editor of Punch was once told in his club; 'Sir! Punch is nowhere near as good as it used to be!'

To which the Editor replied 'No Sir, it never was!'

Parapunter
25th Sep 2011, 10:18
I have no idea why people would read the Daily Mail. About two seconds thought leads directly to the conclusion that it panders directly to the base instincts of its readers and so is totally unchallenging.

It's the two seconds of thought that's in short supply.

hellsbrink
25th Sep 2011, 11:00
Here's (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/educationnews/8786641/Dress-witches-in-pink-and-avoid-white-paper-to-prevent-racism-in-nuseries-expert-says.html) one from the Torygraph for ya then, Parapunter.

The fact that these people exist is more than worrying.....

sitigeltfel
25th Sep 2011, 11:08
So, the Harry Potter series is one long racist rant then?

These certifiable loons see "isms" in everything they encounter, and the sheeple keep voting them into office. They get what they deserve.

Parapunter
25th Sep 2011, 11:26
QED. Take a 'newspaper' and selectively pick a couple of stories from the hundreds on offer and hold them up as incontrovertible evidence of the end of days. Also helps to be an expat not actually living in or contributing to the country you enjoy running down so much. Sheeple indeed.:zzz:

west lakes
25th Sep 2011, 11:35
So whenever an accident occurs users of this site pillory the media for their inaccuracies.
Yet some believe everything they print if it suits their aims.

Good isn't it?

sitigeltfel
25th Sep 2011, 11:44
Also helps to be an expat not actually living in or contributing to the country you enjoy running down so much.

Good to see that conclusion jumping is alive and well. If I were to receive back a small fraction of what I "contributed" to the UKs coffers over the the past forty years I would be a very happy person indeed. I reserve the right, enjoyed by all, to criticise a system that has shafted those who had millions taken from them in the guise of taxes, only to see it pissed up against the wall.

tony draper
25th Sep 2011, 11:58
Mr Sitig probably has a few hundred years worth on ancester bones still in our soil,that entitles him to a voice IMHO.
More so now when we are expected to kowtow to the demands of buggas who have not been here long enough to even cast a shadow on said soil
:)

ZH875
25th Sep 2011, 12:11
They really do know their nursery rhymes though:

"'Bar Bar Black Sheep" ?

I thought Bar Bar was an Effylump

parabellum
25th Sep 2011, 12:18
Parapunter - I contributed to the UK for 44 years whilst working and continue to do so through income tax whilst retired here in Australia. I also served HMQ for nine years in the Army. My family can be traced back in Scotland as far as records go.

Try thinking before you type, you may find it a novel experience.:mad:

Molemot
25th Sep 2011, 12:25
Shakespeare had something to say on't....cue John of Gaunt...

"This royal throne of kings, this scepter'd isle,
This earth of majesty, this seat of Mars;
This other Eden, demi-paradise,
This fortress built by Nature for herself
Against infection and the hand of war.
This happy breed of men, this little world,
This precious stone set in the silver sea,
Which serves it in the office of a wall,
Or as a moat defensive to a house,
Against the envy of less happier lands.
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England.
This nurse, this teeming womb of royal kings,
Fear'd by their breed and famous by their birth,
Renowned for their deeds as far from home,
For Christian service and true chivalry,
As is the sepulchre in stubborn Jewry,
Of the world's ransom, blessed Mary's Son.
This land of such dear souls, this dear dear land,
Dear for her reputation through the world,
Is now leased out, (I die pronouncing it!)
Like to a tenement or pelting farm:
England, bound in with the triumphant sea
Whose rocky shore beats back the envious siege
Of watery Neptune, is now bound in with shame,
With inky blots and rotten parchment bonds:
That England, that was wont to conquer others,
Hath made a shameful conquest of itself.
Ah, would the scandal vanish with my life,
How happy then were my ensuing death! "

It's the first bit that gets quoted most often....but the rest of it leaves no doubt that the "going-to-the-dogs" syndrome isn't that modern a view...

xs-baggage
25th Sep 2011, 12:40
Well said, sir!

Parapunter
25th Sep 2011, 12:41
Try thinking before you type, you may find it a novel experience.I'll bear it in mind Parabellum. I note the panel, when not upbraiding me for criticising the offshore snipers generally agrees with the other point.

hellsbrink
25th Sep 2011, 15:41
QED. Take a 'newspaper' and selectively pick a couple of stories from the hundreds on offer and hold them up as incontrovertible evidence of the end of days. Also helps to be an expat not actually living in or contributing to the country you enjoy running down so much. Sheeple indeed.

Ahhh. Shooting the messenger instead of even commenting on the post (which was the intent, you see, the idea was to DISCUSS what was in the article I posted) as is your usual wont.

I knew expecting some sort of discussion on how the scourge of political correctness is still alive, well and breeding was a bit much.....

Lon More
25th Sep 2011, 16:10
John of Gaunt, correctly "van Gent" because he was Flemish by birth so the foreigners were already in control. Maybe he was even extracting the urine

Shack37
25th Sep 2011, 16:41
The usual comments and "yawns" about the Mail readers and the outrage bus but so far not one denial from our intellectual posters of the accuracy of the reports. Did the last labour government not bury those immigration reports? Was that cafe owner not interviewed for an hour by two police officers because someone accused him of inciting hate by displaying passages from the Bible?

As for the expat comments from the punter, I too served in HM Forces and continue to pay UK Tax on pensions gained from previous salaries already taxed under PAYE. Where I choose to live is no business of anyone else.

Goodness, I feel better now!

Sallyann1234
25th Sep 2011, 17:04
I too served in HM Forces and continue to pay UK Tax on pensions gained from previous salaries already taxed under PAYE.

Are you sure? Your pension contributions at the time should have been excluded from income tax.

Mr Optimistic
25th Sep 2011, 17:09
'John of Gaunt, correctly "van Gent" because he was Flemish by birth'

Proving what exactly ? As Henry IV said, 'history is bunk'.Mind you it's undesrtandable he was bitter knowing that his invention of the carburretor was years ahead of its time.

Shack37
25th Sep 2011, 17:17
SA1234

Are you sure? Your pension contributions at the time should have been excluded from income tax

Yes, very sure. I didn't say I served my whole life in HM Forces. In fact I don't have a forces pension because at my time of serving there was no pension entitlement for less than 22 years service.

The system has been changed since then.
In total I paid NI and Income Tax for 49 years (38 as a civilian)

Back to the outrage bus.:ok: