PDA

View Full Version : Satellite TV dishes...will any work ok with freesat

magpienja
24th Sep 2011, 13:38
I know very little about Satellite TV receiving dishes and my brother in law was asking me if his old sky dish will be ok to receive the freesat signal,

Its to replace his old dish on his static caravan that has given way to the ravages of salt air on his static caravan that he has on an exposed coastal location in Anglesey.

Hoping somebody will be able to give me an answer as I suspect he maybe wasting his time.

Nick.

Molemot
24th Sep 2011, 13:54
Any satellite dish will do. Needs the proper receiver...either Sky or dedicated Freesat...but the dish just needs to be pointed at the proper satellite and have a functional LNB.

fieldsnail
24th Sep 2011, 13:54
Yes it will. I do exactly that with my Freesat box using the old Sky LNB.

magpienja
24th Sep 2011, 13:58
So just to clarify...the sky dish and LNB will be ok with his freesat receiver....or does he need a new LNB.

Nick.

B Fraser
24th Sep 2011, 14:01
He's not wasting his time at all. An existing aligned Sky dish will work perfectly on Freesat, no adjustment needed. It all comes from the same satellite. It really is just plug and play. I stopped paying Murdoch many years ago and ran the co-ax straight into the back of my Freesat Panasonic and hey presto.

magpienja
25th Sep 2011, 09:00
Many thanks guys....all info passed on.

Nick.

Cornish Jack
25th Sep 2011, 16:52
If the dish has a quad lnb, just use one of the spare outputs. Works fine on mine and fitted a changeover switch to select which input fed which receiver.

OFSO
28th Sep 2011, 12:29
Yeah, just watch out for ITV, ITV2 and ITV4 after 6 p.m.,,,,,,,