PDA

View Full Version : They told us smoking was dangerous


Mr Optimistic
23rd Sep 2011, 23:57
A man who burned to death in his home died as a result of spontaneous combustion, an Irish coroner has ruled.

BBC News - 'First Irish case' of death by spontaneous combustion (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-15032614)

gingernut
24th Sep 2011, 00:36
R.I.P. Mr Faherty.




Wonder if these cases have anything to do with nitrogen.

onetrack
24th Sep 2011, 03:59
Nitrogen on its own is a totally inert gas, that is unable to support combustion. However, many of its compounds are highly reactive and unstable, and are used as components for explosives and other flammable products.
The body comprises a large % of water (I've seen 18% quoted, but I can't be sure on the exactness of the figure). Water, when broken down by electrolysis, produces hydrogen and oxygen, both of which will readily produce and support combustion.
The missing factor is what conditions in a body would create the conditions needed for the chemical conversion of nitrogen or water into combustible compounds?
There is no doubt human spontaneous combustion exists, it has been thoroughly documented over 3 centuries, although based on a relatively small number of events.

Hobo
24th Sep 2011, 04:23
I notice divine intervention was unlikely.

But did they consider the implications of his name including the letters FA..RTY in order?

Could he have let one go, it was ignited by the fire...etc...etc...?

Takan Inchovit
24th Sep 2011, 06:45
Quite a number of Middle Easterners have suffered this affliction in recent times.

sitigeltfel
24th Sep 2011, 06:57
Linseed oil soaked rags can flare up. I remember seeing a documentary about this event a few years ago.

One Meridian Plaza - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/One_Meridian_Plaza)

Checkboard
24th Sep 2011, 08:59
Also discussed here: http://www.pprune.org/jet-blast/464517-sc-rears-its-head-again.html#post6715763

:)

Jane-DoH
25th Sep 2011, 00:20
I don't spend a lot of time reading about weird phenomena, but from what little I know about SHC is that the victims were rarely known to have screamed (in at least one case a person was in the same house and in audible range)... :suspect:

corsair
25th Sep 2011, 00:28
I lived near there until recently, until I moved upmarket. I wager he died while smoking a fag and essentially his body smouldered over a period of days. Let's face it tallow is animal fat and until recent years that's how candles were made. What are humans made of?

It's always some lonely old man or woman who has no visitors for days on end. They die near a source of combustion and essentially smoulder to destruction.

The truth is that he died alone and unconsidered. Terribly sad to come to that. No surprise in Ballybane though. Galway in general is a sociable and friendly town. But it has it's not so good areas.

Checkboard
25th Sep 2011, 00:33
from what little I know about SHC is that the victims were rarely known to have screamed
... because they usually die of a heart attack or simply faint first, and then the body slowly smoulders to ashes from the ciggy they were holding at the time. :bored:

Jane-DoH
25th Sep 2011, 00:55
Checkboard

Could be a possibility in some cases -- would be consistent with a standard burn.

WingSlinger
25th Sep 2011, 02:20
I don't spend a lot of time reading about weird phenomena...

Wow, this must be the funniest statement I've seen in recent years, Jane.