PDA

View Full Version : URNU Interview

Vortex5
23rd Sep 2011, 21:55
Hello Chaps and Chapettes,

I've got a University Royal Navy Unit interview coming up soon and I was just wanting some clarification on what is exactly happening to the CHF now that the RAF will be getting 14 new Chinooks, has there been a deal to send the Merlins over to the FAA and if not will that be 60 odd pilots gone from the RN side?

Has SAR been privatised ?

Secondly, I'm aware that I'll be asked about current affairs. Should I talk about the RN roles in Libya with HMS Turbulent, SDSR and how it has affected the armed forces or should I take about the London riots, the economy etc

Just thought I'd ask here, not wanting to say something in my interview that's untrue and make myself look like a colossal idiot :sad:

Thank you :ok:

VinRouge
24th Sep 2011, 03:33
Ref the current affairs, get a copy or two of "the week" and pay particular attention to the commentary. Also, have an opinion on matters, just make sure its not too controversial! The economy would be a good one, they are looking for well rounded individuals, not just armed forces mad. FT pink pages and online are great, the economist is a bit lefty for my liking, but thats personal preference. FT Alphaville (google it) gives a good run down of current economic stuff.

As for the merlin/CH47 qs, I dont even think CAS knows at the moment, although he did a good job of screwing over the FAA in the recent SDSR. Just dont mention the harriers!

BEagle
24th Sep 2011, 06:48
I dont even think CAS knows at the moment, although he did a good job of screwing over the FAA in the recent SDSR. Just dont mention the harriers!

Wrong. The RN itself 'screwed over the FAA' when it allowed the highly capable SHAR2 interceptor to be retired, leaving only the plastic bombers which had NO BVR air defence capability, rendering their carrier highly vulnerable without an accompanying AD frigate.

Retiring the Harrier force was criminal stupidty of the highest order. Whilst GR4 might be more useful in Afghanistan an Libya, the SHAR2 / GR9 complemented themselves very well and would still have an unique capability.

The FAA should have had exclusive control of SHAR 2 and some GR9s; the RAF should have had exclusive control of the remaining GR9s.

xenolith
24th Sep 2011, 09:42
Any chance you could explain, reasonably, your points of view to Vortex 5 who is simply trying to get ahead. Otherwise you may look like two bitter and twisted t@ssers getting into a pi@@ing competition.

regards, Xenolith.:)

Clearedtoroll
24th Sep 2011, 09:57
Not sure what branch you are planning to go in the long run (if any), but don't rule out the UAS if you want to join the FAA. You'll obviously get more flying... I am still good friends with ex-UAS mates who joined the FAA after three years on the UAS - despite what the media would have us believe, all three Services get along just fine on the ground.

In any interview (or generally really) I'd avoid getting involved in inter-Service politics. Whilst the CHF issue is understandably a big deal for those directly involved, the fight is not really doing anyone any favours. Essentially, don't listen to people like Sharkey Ward (or equivalents in the other 2 Services).

AllTrimDoubt
24th Sep 2011, 10:45
Otherwise you may look like two bitter and twisted t@ssers getting into a pi@@ing competition.

....too late!

:E

Vortex5
24th Sep 2011, 14:00
Thanks all for your input.

Clearedtoroll, indeed I have thought about the UAS and applied for that last year, however my local UAS only really takes on applicants with engineering backgrounds or if you've been top cadet in the past :{
I've heard the hours you accumulate on average per year is about the same you can do in the summer flying camp with the RN.

AllTrimDoubt
24th Sep 2011, 23:34
I've heard the hours you accumulate on average per year is about the same you can do in the summer flying camp with the RN.

Be careful there...the RN Easter and Summer flying camps take 1 person from each URNU, so your chances of getting a place are much reduced!

Hours flown at a UAS depend on your availability, committment (weather!) and, ultimately on course workload. Although I'm totally FAA, don't discount flying at a UAS if it's aviation you're set on. After all, we all work for UK Defence.plc !!!:rolleyes:

5 Forward 6 Back
25th Sep 2011, 09:02
Vortex,

That's interesting; as I'm pretty sure it's not UAS-wide policy to restrict entry like that. Either your local UAS is being a bit selective, or you've been fed a colloquial story not entirely grounded in the truth.

We have a lot of branches to fill, and not all of them need engineers, and none of them need "top cadets!"

Fancy naming and shaming, or can we work it out from your published location? Did one of the UAS officers actually tell you you needed to either be an engineer, or have some sort of stellar cadet record?

Regardless of where your aviation ambitions lie, the UAS is probably a better place to realise them than the URNU.

Romeo Kilo
25th Sep 2011, 13:22
I have just finished three years on a UAS in England.

With regard to the amount of flying, the 10 hours a year thing doesn't really carry any weight. In the grand scheme of things, it may average out as about 10 hours per cadet flown, however, certainly on my UAS, if you make yourself available, and the weather holds, you can effectively fly as much as you like. The trick is heading to the airfield when there's not many other studes about. Its not unknown to get three trips in a day if one is a little tactical with one's choice of flying days.

Re the selection policy of your local squadron: This is surprising to me, and indeed if it is hearsay, I would argue a pinch of salt may be required. If this came from squadron staff, it is very surprising, and is certainly not a policy shared by my old squadron.

I don't know about the URNU, but if you want to fly, join the UAS. There's also ever increasing opportunities to run around fields and woods with a weapon, if that sort of thing tickles your fancy. Either way, good luck with your interview.

Vortex5
25th Sep 2011, 17:47
ATD - I see where you're coming from but after speaking to the boss and alot of the servicing URNU students they said that since I actually want to join the FAA I'd be given priority and there isn't many other applicants currently serving that want to join the FAA especially as pilot. So if I get in, they said it would be a good chance I'd go at least once. I also want to join the URNU cause I know the competition for cockpits is fierce, so If I don't make the cut, I'd like to join as an officer and the URNU will give me a little insight into what its like to be one... well I hope :hmm:

5f6b - No, I was not directly told 'we only take engineering backgrounds' however alot of the people who joined are doing something with engineering or physics . I wasn't too bothered anyway, I would prefer the URNU.

Any indication to what's happening with SAR?

AllTrimDoubt
25th Sep 2011, 22:51
Vortex

Well, if the URNU are saying you'd get priority becuse you want to join the FAA then that is wrong and the URNUs have been told so in the past. It is NOT what the flying camp is for since you are one of the converted and the aim is to expose others who my wish to investigate a flying career and to introduce Naval aviation to those who don't!

I think you'll find that places are highly desirable and often there's competition to get on the course.

Oh - and you'd go only once! It's not a "repeat course" each year!

cornish-stormrider
26th Sep 2011, 13:34
Vortex, the trick is, as with anything good is to be available to do all the crap jobs and stuff as well.....

Particularly if your UNRU or UAS is overpopulated with chisellers.
You then work out who the go to guy is to get you more hours and trips and other things......and SUBTLY get noticed as being keen and helpful.

No-one likes a brown-noser but everyone loves a helpful chap.