PDA

View Full Version : London air traffic

M.Hurley
23rd Sep 2011, 14:48
Being upfront I have little knowledge of aviation, and I'm here because I've come up short on google with unanswered questions.

I live and work in this area of London (http://is.gd/PZX8H8") and keep noticing really low flying commercial liners. Low enough that I can see the design on the fin. I've never noticed planes this low around here before and I've lived here for 15 years.

I also keep seeing a lot of what look (with my distinct lack of aviation knowledge) like cargo planes, with a uniform grey colour, 'T' shaped empennage and bloated bodies compared to passenger planes. Closest I can find for comparison is this. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:C17.globemaster.arp.jpg)
The commercial liners don't seem to have specific paths, but the cargo types all seem to be headed towards Stansted, or perhaps Mildenhall?

Has the air traffic itself or the way it gets handled in and around London changed recently?
Normally I'd regard all this with disinterest, but the sometimes 4/5 cargo planes (sometimes minutes apart) a day has piqued my curiosity.

Many thanks.

Out Of Trim
25th Sep 2011, 17:53
Hmmm not really any changes to how aircraft are handled. I would think the grey T-tailed aircraft are probably USAF Boeing C-17s into Mildenhall.

Spit161
25th Sep 2011, 19:03
I would think the grey T-tailed aircraft are probably USAF Boeing C-17s into Mildenhall

Or even RAF C-17 inbound to Mildenhall.
It is very possible.

TEEEJ
25th Sep 2011, 20:04
RAF Mildenhall also receives its fair share of civilian aircraft on military charter flights.

Its not all military!! • (Airliners and Cargo Photography) • Civilian Aviation • (http://www.civilianaviation.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=7886)

wiggy
26th Sep 2011, 02:52
Just a thought, they may well be C-17s going into Mildenhall but it's worthing considering that if the map with the OP's location is correct he/she is very near the junction of the M25 and the M11. That's 40'ish miles south of Mildenhall, under the London TMA and not a million miles from either Stansted and also the Lamborne hold (for LHR). Running traffic inbound to Mildenhall under the LAM hold ( meaning they'd have to be at or below 5000 feet with > 40 miles to run ) certainly wouldn't be very efficient but not impossible. I'd also be interested in a definitive answer...

Levelling_the_Land
26th Sep 2011, 11:23
I live not a million miles from the posted location. I haven't seen a C17, though I've seen quite a few Avro RJ. I appreciate they're substantially smaller than a C-17, but if someone's unfamiliar with their shape there might be some confusion.

Smiliner: BAe 146/Avro RJ Operators - United Kingdom (http://www.smiliner.com/operators/g.shtml)

Problem with that is when I tried to check who operates Avros out of City, there seem to be a lot fewer than there use to be.

I will keep my eye out though. And if I spy a C-17, I'll post my humble apologies in the thread.

M.Hurley
26th Sep 2011, 20:15
Are they grey? Because you're right the shape is about right, but they are definitely grey and very much low enough to distinguish the colour.

Thanks for the other replies as well. Much appreciated.

Levelling_the_Land
27th Sep 2011, 07:21
I haven't paid much attention to their colour, but next time I see one, I'll check.

Bit misty round here this morning to check anything though!

RAC/OPS
28th Sep 2011, 02:36
Being upfront I have little knowledge of aviation

Thought you meant you were a pilot!!

M.Hurley
27th Oct 2011, 14:15
:) Very droll.

I know I posted this ages ago, but just recently found my SLR.

So a link to a picture. I've seen them much lower than this.

http://i.imgur.com/Gr7CA.jpg

Spit161
27th Oct 2011, 14:59
Looks like an RJ, or even a BaE 146..

cheers,
Jake.

Hamburt Spinkleman
27th Oct 2011, 15:09
That is a picture of a BAe 146/Avro RJ.

Do not assume that it is the shape that determines whether it's a cargo or passenger aircraft. Most civil cargo aircraft are derived from passenger versions. From a distance you can not distinguish the two versions apart other than by the livery.

Your mistake was to assume that because I think it is a cargo aircraft it must be a cargo aircraft. Despite a distinct lack of aviation knowledge.

Skipness One Echo
27th Oct 2011, 15:19
Sounds like 146s and RJ85s going off Lambourne under the Heathrow stacks South towards London City. The Scottish domestics, ROI and IOM traffic routes this way.They were on 09 today so lots crossing the centreline high before turning downwind right.

chevvron
27th Oct 2011, 15:20
When Stansted are landing NE/ly, the arrivals can descend to 3000 or even 2000ft.

SpringHeeledJack
27th Oct 2011, 21:28
Sounds like 146s and RJ85s going off Lambourne under the Heathrow stacks South towards London City

And if they look grey from a distance it would fit in with the colour scheme of City-Jet, especially as the off white picks up plenty of dirt along the daily grind.

SHJ