PDA

View Full Version : Android mobile phone

Octane
22nd Sep 2011, 22:36
I'm looking for recommendations for a smallish android (java capable) mobile phone. Small size is important as I carry my phone in my pocket (would lose the bugger otherwise). HTC is a brand that I read good things about?

Cheers

Octane

Ancient Observer
22nd Sep 2011, 22:53
I am UK based. I am very happy with my Samsung Apollo, which is on Android 2.2. In some markets they call it Galaxy Apollo.
It lives happily enough in my pocket.
Don't know if they sell it where you are. In UK it costs UKP 70 - 80.

Samsung Galaxy Apollo mobile phone - On Various networks - The Carphone Warehouse (http://www.carphonewarehouse.com/mobiles/mobile-phones/SAMSUNG-I5800-GALAXY-APOLLO/?src=phoneFinder&tariffNetworks=&clearance=false)

sitigeltfel
24th Sep 2011, 05:37
I have had two HTC phones, a TyTN and Hero. On both, sections of the touch screen went dead shortly after the warranty expired :*

Octane
24th Sep 2011, 07:54
That's a bugger...

dusk2dawn
25th Sep 2011, 08:32
My G-1 from 2008 is still working.

Genghis the Engineer
29th Sep 2011, 13:01
I'm currently using an HTC wildfire S, and am very happy with it.

As I type this, it is connecting my laptop to the interweb in a very dull meeting about finance (we've done the bit about aeroplanes, but I have to sit through the finance).

Tiny, good screen, excellent sensors, workable GPS and compass, more than enough computing power. The android aviation tools App is a particular favourite with me, as is Google Skymap - both free, as is the task killer I find essential to stop the battery being drained by lots of apps that didn't close properly (this seems to be a standard Android issue, not just this phone).

Grouches are small: I'd prefer a slightly bigger screen (probably the desire I'd guess, but that is more expensive), it does need charging daily and is best plugged into the laptop to continuously charge it whilst using it as a WiFi hotspot, volume could be a little louder.

If somebody nicks it, I'll probably trade up to one with a slightly bigger screen, everything else is superb and much as I loved my previous Nokia E63, that has been relegated to the local simcard when I'm abroad.

For what it's worth I have it on the 3 oneplan; £25/month giving me unlimited data, 2000 minutes and 5000* texts per month. Phone was thrown in on an 18 month contract. However, as the OP is in Australia, 3s rates in the UK are probably pretty irrelevant to the discussion.

G

* Is it physically possible to send 5000 texts in a month?

mixture
29th Sep 2011, 13:53
* Is it physically possible to send 5000 texts in a month?

Are you saying you make 2000 minutes of calls then ? :E

Genghis the Engineer
29th Sep 2011, 17:27
I passed that last April, anybody who knows what I was doing then won't be surprised. But even without volcanoes going off I'm a fairly heavy user.

G

BladePilot
29th Sep 2011, 17:58
Samsung Galaxy S2... amazing. I used to be a Nokia man then I discovered the iPhone, 3Gs then the 4. I never thought I'd be so amazed again by a communications device until I encountered the Galaxy S2. It is the most amazing piece of technology I have come across. Highly recommmended.

Blade:ok:

Octane
29th Sep 2011, 18:46
Thanks for the advice guys. much appreciated. Currently I'm in Indonesia, I reckon some of the girls here could send 5000 sms's a month. Ha ha......

Agent86
30th Sep 2011, 06:22
JBHIFI are selling the Acer liquid metal for $128. Its sold as prepaid locked to Telstra but can be unlocked by flashing a new rom.
A very good phone for the price and the size is not too big. See the Whirlpool forums for more info.

McGoonagall
30th Sep 2011, 06:29
Wot Genghis sed.

Octane
30th Sep 2011, 17:18
Donall the smart phones have such a limited battery life? I'm used to 1 week with a $30 Nokia...

Spit161
30th Sep 2011, 17:48
I'm currently using an iPhone 4.
However, for ease of use, I find the Android OS (For example, GingerBread) easier to use if you are new to the Android World.

If you are, I agree with Genghis!

Octane
7th Nov 2011, 14:40
Hello all,

I'm now the proud owner of an HTC wildfire S thanks to your suggestions. The first day I tried to use it, it was too hard. I went back to my $25 Nokia. When I had some time had another go at the HTC. It's brilliant, I had no idea of the capabilities of these devices.. I'm converted, could not go back to the old machine. Still learning but it's very intuitive, still haven't worked out how to use the torch but that will come.
It's size is perfect, lot smaller than an iphone but probably just as capable at around 1/3 of the cost.
I'm assuming when I use google maps etc it burns through the credit, guess I'll find out...
Thanks so much for all your input.

Cheers

Michael

hellsbrink
7th Nov 2011, 19:27
I'm assuming when I use google maps etc it burns through the credit, guess I'll find out..

Certain things to think about (using Samsung Galaxy Ace, but that has the same Android system as you).

Turn OFF the "location service" (or whatever it's called on your phone) as that will eat your credit up by constantly telling Google where you are. I also turned off the "data service" over the 2g/3g network so things don't access using GPRS/EDGE/etc all the time, eating credit.

Use your wi-fi connection wherever possible for any type of internet access, but remember to turn that off when not in use. Think battery power

Why use google maps when you have built in GPS, which can be enhanced further by use of assorted apps?

Make sure you buy a decent sized (8Gb will be enough, for starters) miniSD card for the phone as once you discover the Android Market you may go crazy....

As far as battery life goes, I can only speak for myself. I have the wifi on most of the day, use the phone as a music player, obviously make calls/sms throughout the day, email/faceboök/assorted sites checked constantly throughout the day, you get the idea. My battery happily lasts 3 days between charges which I don't think is too bad when you consider we are looking at something that has more computing power than my first 2 (maybe 3) windows PC's.

Octane
8th Nov 2011, 13:01
Apparantly I have to download an app to have torch function. Does that sound right? My $25 Nokia you just select and turn it on!

Ancient Observer
8th Nov 2011, 14:21
Wiv Samsung, (Galaxy 1, and Apollo) the torch is an app. Dunno about yer fancy HTC.

hellsbrink
8th Nov 2011, 16:45
Yes, octane, you have to download an app. Thankfully there are a few to choose from and you don't have to pay for them.

No idea what is the best one, I use an actual torch if I have to, or just the screen from one of my samsung's as that tends to give out enough light for the few times I need something like that.