tony draper
22nd Sep 2011, 18:33
If they shut all the stock markets down for say six months?:rolleyes:

El Grifo
22nd Sep 2011, 18:47
I guess millions of city types would take up skydiving :ok:

Rwy in Sight
22nd Sep 2011, 19:35
Six short months of quietness and happiness.

Rwy in Sight

Sir George Cayley
22nd Sep 2011, 19:47
Question is, what would happen to the value of stocks? Boards plan on a number of indicators but protection of stock value is key. As a by product annual dividends are also linked.

Like it or not we investors are slaves to the stock market and market makers. What we're not slaves to are traders.

It's been shown that investing in the FTSE 100 and discarding No 10 when it drops out and buying No 11 when it is promoted can show a long term return equal to or better that the 'Market'. Not a fact they like to acknowledge.

Clipping wings never works long time. I think market forces, training and regulation offer a way forward all can understand.

SGC

etrang
23rd Sep 2011, 06:03
Price is what you pay, value is what you get.

The value of a share depends on the assets and the future cash-flows of the underlying businesses. These generally don't change much from month to month.

The price of a share changes every day, every minute in fact, depending on supply and demand, computer trading programs, etc.

Slasher
23rd Sep 2011, 06:21
Oh christ then I'd have to rely solely on my pay cheque just to
survive Drapes, and even may have to send the missus out on
the street to try to make up some of the difference! :eek:

Rather the wife than part with any of me horded stash o' gold
and silver...

These generally don't change much from month to month.

EXCEPT for gold stocks exteng, except for gold stocks - they're
set to shoot through the roof!

tony draper
23rd Sep 2011, 07:42
Ah!!but my spys tell me the gold that is being bought sold traded does not even exist,when they run out of this none existant gold, tiz reconed they are going to estimate how much gold there might be in the asteroid belt and how much there might be in core of the earth and start selling that to the punters.
Max Kieser says so so it must be true,he even reckons Fort Knox is full of cardboard ingots painted gold.
:E

Lon More
23rd Sep 2011, 08:32
even may have to send the missus out on
the street to try to make up some of the difference! not if she's up the duff surely!!

Slasher
23rd Sep 2011, 10:05
She didn't sick up this morning Lon so my heart's regained
the beats it lost yesterday. Just hope it was something she
ate!

MagnusP
23rd Sep 2011, 10:16
Just hope it was something she ate!

That's not usually an effective way to get up the duff, I agree. :E

mixture
23rd Sep 2011, 10:22
It's been shown that investing in the FTSE 100 and discarding No 10 when it drops out and buying No 11 when it is promoted can show a long term return equal to or better that the 'Market'. Not a fact they like to acknowledge.

Yeah, and waving a dead chicken over your copy of the Financial Times has also been shown to have some sort of effect that "they" would rather not acknowledge.

Seriously, you're unlikely to achieve any meaningful results through such a random investment policy. Good investment portfolios, and good returns are the result of hard research.

Takan Inchovit
23rd Sep 2011, 11:25
Yer DAX might drop and the FTSE will go up.

I know, cat goat boar.....

El Grifo
24th Sep 2011, 12:18
Can anybody explain to me why gold prices are tumbling at the moment.

In the current climate this is not the normal course of events.

What are they buying up as an alternative ??

Davaar
24th Sep 2011, 13:44
What would happen?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If they shut all the stock markets down for say six months

In all of those six months 580 CFRA would still carry that chap every evening Monday through Friday, National Holidays excepted, who explains that we are having a "market correction".

onetrack
24th Sep 2011, 13:59
EG - Could it be that a lot of margin loans are currently being called in, and thus the borrowers have had to shed gold (or more correctly, gold trades) to meet the calls?
After all, one formerly rock-solid bank has just found one of its traders has just cost it a cool US$2.3B with fraudulent trades?? Thus, they may be more than a little concerned about liquidity?
Maybe all the gold trades being done recently were being driven by that fraudulent trader?

Senor Drapes, the world would carry on quite comfortably without a sharemarket and traders... but there would be a lot less exciteability and volatility in "values".
Remember, traders make their most "money" when prices are exceptionally volatile... as like, right now... :suspect:

There would, of course, be a sizeable increase in the dole office queues, as most traders have no real skills, other than market manipulation. :rolleyes:
There would be much angst and sackcloth and ashes in the boardrooms of the luxury car and boat floggers. We wouldn't see the same number of Beemers and Audis and Mercs on the streets, as we do now.

In the case of Fort Knox, fear not. It's been empty for years. Ever since the U.S. sold gold wholesale to try and keep the price down to their artificially-set US$35 an oz, they have been emptying Fort Knox.
I recall where the U.S. sold 400 tons of gold in one day, in 1968, to try and control the gold price.
I've read where that day set Uncle Sams finance controllers into a flat spin, when they realised they could no longer hold the gold price down, and it would soon have to be allowed to find its own level.

Tricky Dicky took the decision on his own, without reference to anyone, to separate gold and the U.S. dollar, and that stopped the gold haemorrhaging for a little while.
However, Ronald Reagan spent money like there was no tomorrow, and tripled the size of the U.S. budget (and the deficit)... and deficit spending meant more gold had to go... so it's been a one-way street for Fort Knox since 1968, I'm afraid. :{

Storminnorm
24th Sep 2011, 14:18
That would be a one-way street FROM Fort Knox surely?

sisemen
24th Sep 2011, 16:58
I dread the thought of gold going very much higher. They'll be wanting to dig my garden up at that point.

We're sitting on stacks of the stuff but at the moment it's uneconomical to mine here.

Favourite trick with visitors is to get a handful of muck from the yard, pan it and show them the residue. Their little eyes light up they do.