PDA

View Full Version : will i get hired anywhere in asia with these SPECS:

glife847
21st Sep 2011, 22:35
250 hours total flight time - 220 hours SEL and 30 hours MEL
Private Pilot, Airplane Single Engine Land
Commercial Pilot, Airplane Single Engine Land / Instrument
Commercial Pilot, Airplane Multi-Engine Land / Instrument
US Citizen and already have a 4 year degree. Second officer? training for first officer? ANY suggestions will help. THanks

flyjet787
22nd Sep 2011, 00:15
Nope. Many countries in the region have their own citizens with similar or slightly better specs who are yet to be hired.

JMEN
22nd Sep 2011, 00:34
Check out Susi Air in Indo.

The Dominican
22nd Sep 2011, 01:38
250 hours and you want a job as a first officer on a Boeing hum? :eek:

break_break
22nd Sep 2011, 05:33
The Dominican
You may find that most South East Asian majors have similar requirements for their citizens to qualify, yes to become FO in a shiny spanking brand new Boeing Wide Body jet.
So go easy on the lad since he's just sniffing around at his age trying to have a go at the "rosy" aviation job market.
From my end in the sandpit, I have heard too many stories of young aspiring boys (mostly from Indian subcontinent) and sadly not wealthy enough to weather the long waiting period of jobless status.
I just can't believe how many of these blokes are so naive to believe what Boeing and Airbus are trying to advocate all the times, that an impending shortages are coming up. I always point any wannabe in one direction --> If you have to PAY to Fly, you are not in a strong position to bargain.PERIOD.
No one will listen, and the aviation is now filled with thousands of lowly paid low cost or chartered pilots who will take the first offer from any majors. We will never see any pay hike due to "shortages".
I sure wish you the best, glife847.

B737NG
22nd Sep 2011, 05:50
Dear Break,

I can only agree and see the same trend the last few years that more Pilots are willing to pay for flying. I am wondering where these blokes are in 20 years from now. It takes balls and bones to sustain as well as $ + €.

At the moment I cannot suggest that anybody spends his families / own money to go thru the training to obtain a licence and short after he/she is proud owner of a piece of a CPL/IFR or Frozen ATPL and on the street scratching on the Window to get shelter and pay for it, again.

Serious payrises like in other areas havenīt happen in the past years. I might sound negative but the real income declined for many Pilots in the past Decade. Inflation is hungry as well. I know Pilots back in the UK who do other jobs over the winter to pay the bills as the income does not cover the basics. In the "booming" region Asia the newies cannot imagine that.

The once gloryfied US-Aviation went South as well the last 15 to 20 years.

Fly safe and land happy

NG

The Dominican
22nd Sep 2011, 06:30
One thing is the discussion of PFT and another is the expectation from people now a days, they want a microwave career. Back when I started this paid hobby of ours, pilots simply knew that the way to the right seat of a 727, DC8 was first on the C402, right seat and consequent command of the Convair 440, then the panel of the 27 and so forth, there were schools back then that would sell a type to whoever walked through the door but pilots just knew that there was a process, experience had to be built, sure there was some cases of guys from the military that entered with low times but those were the exception to the rule. Now it seems that the expectation is to pay your way to an airline job and after 3 or 4 years on the line they want command on the A380, that in my view has irreparably damaged this career.

break_break
22nd Sep 2011, 06:35
Dear B737NG
You & I are in this game long enough to tell. And to great extent, we were probably luckier than the new gen that we didn't have to pay to fly. Granted, many will argue very justifiably why no one should be deprived of their airline pilots' dream by going P2F.
I have long ago given up hoping for pay raise. Right now, my only aim is to pay up my home and small business mortgages and I'm out of here in the soonest possible instance. And the younger lads can have their go in this ever eroding pay and conditions.
2 things most chaps won't see till they bite: No.1 INFLATION as you'd correctly pointed out, No.2 The long term fatigue that comes with the perks as you progress along the career, especially on the long haul.
That's also why I object strongly if any of my nephews or nieces in even considering a pilot's job as their life long profession. I explained that I have every pride when I don my uniform, but I do not want to see my beloved siblings hard earned savings or built up equity goes up in smoke because of one of these misleading advertisements of "great job prospects" by any flying schools. I always bring them back to reality check, and using my very own life example, that you don't P2F.
Too much said, and I sure hope your new job venture is going well too.

break_break
22nd Sep 2011, 06:57
The Dominican
I sure think you have a valid point. The reality is very much otherwise and I'm sure you would agree what sort of complaints guys have after just few years on the right seat.
The new gen are generally ambitious, naive, impatient, and non appreciative. Not casting aspersion on glife847, but you will see many threads started seeking help, responded by many well intent chaps, only to be greeted with defensive and sometimes hostile attitude from the very person that needs help.