PDA

View Full Version : Fitting "Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy" onto a CD

gingernut
21st Sep 2011, 19:13
Computer unsavvy as I am, I've manged to download this audio book (free in The Guardian" this week).

I've even been able to find it again on my computer :)

I'm trying to put it on a CD so I can wyle away the hours for my next trip to Cornwall, but my software (Windows Media Player) says it needs 12 discs. (It's an MP3 file).

Now I 'aint tight, but 12 discs takes up a fair bit of room in a humble car.

Is there a simple way to compress things?

Cheers, ginge.

le Pingouin
21st Sep 2011, 20:50
Any chance your car's player can handle MP3s? If not you're stuck with 12 CDs. The audio on a CD can't be compressed & still be playable by a CD player as it would no longer be in the required format.

You can buy devices that plug into the audio socket of an MP3 player & broadcast an FM signal to play over your car radio.

gingernut
21st Sep 2011, 20:52
cheers le P, 12 CD'S it is then.

bnt
23rd Sep 2011, 20:01
Some car hi-fi systems can read MP3 files directly from disk - check your specs. If so, you can just burn the files to a Data CD, and not a bunch of Audio CDs.

gingernut
23rd Sep 2011, 20:53
thanks bnt will have a look.

Parapunter
23rd Sep 2011, 21:08
Ginge, You can buy an mp3 ready car stereo for about a wunner anywhere now. If the car's a keeper, it might be money well spent. All you have to do then is buy a little usb memory stick for a tenner & copy over dozens of your albums/books/nursery rhymes & you get hours of entertainment without having to cart bags of cd's around.:)

My one is a JVC number, the usb port has a cable out the back so I thread it round to the glovebox & it's all neat & invisible.

It's a bit of kit that I'm fond of & is pretty cheap in the scheme of things.:ok:

spannersatcx
24th Sep 2011, 08:24
if you have an ipod, put it on there and get one of those fm transmitter attachments and play it through the radio. :)

Heliport
25th Sep 2011, 18:36
I can't help with the problem but I'm pleased you asked the question.
Five of the free downloads are still available, although not for much longer: John le Carre free audiobooks (http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/series/john-le-carre-free-audiobooks)

The Tinker Tailor offer has expired, unfortunately.

reynoldsno1
27th Sep 2011, 23:52
if you have an ipod, put it on there and get one of those fm transmitter attachments and play it through the radio.

Don't even need an ipod - I have one (4 quid in Thailand) that is an mp3 player in itself and takes a memory stick with the mp3s on them - plays fine. Plugs straight into the "cigarette lighter"....