PDA

View Full Version : TRANSFER VHS 8 TO DIGITAL

sisemen
21st Sep 2011, 14:10
It obviously can be done otherwise they wouldn't advertise the service. But.....

the camera which I took the video on (Canon E230) is busted and they don't make VHS 8 any more.

Shopping around hasn't brought to light any piece of kit that can do the job. But there must be.

Other than somehow sourcing an old video camera to play the stuff back through the telly is there any way I can do it at home?

I have some irreplaceable film of the RAF 75th Anniversary practice flypast while in the mid upper turret of the BBMF Lancaster.

Ant
21st Sep 2011, 18:06
Your camera, the Canon E 230 was not VHS but rather of the Video 8 format as described here (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/8_mm_video_format).

If you don't have ready access to one then you might have a problem as the format is old and wasn't particularly successful sales-wise in comparison to its contemporaries. Try asking a few local photography and videography clubs if anyone has one.
The later Hi8 and Digi8 formats are I think backward compatible and will do the job of transfer.

If you get really stuck, my trusty TRV725e could do with some exercise!
Just ask.

dazdaz1
21st Sep 2011, 20:14
Don't think it's video 8 in the UK, (8mm tape recording format) as far as I know. Cutting long story short, have a Samsung 8mm cam, was going to dump it at the tip, free to anyone interested.

Daz

david1300
22nd Sep 2011, 04:22
I had a similar problem with Digital8 (Sony) - original camera fell from motorbike at approx 100 kph (don't ask for details :)). I bought a replacement on eBay - quite expensive for the technology, but then resold it 2 months later for much the same $$. Here is Aus there is a small but steady demand for these old format cameras. I did shop for quite a while and was fairly sure I would get most of my money back.