PDA

View Full Version : Accident in Haiti

The Dominican
21st Sep 2011, 01:37
I ask a favor from the PPRUNE community to anyone that has details about the accident in Haiti, it took the life of a friend of more than 20 years, the details are sketchy at best, seems to be a CFIT incident in bad weather. I thank any pilot in Haiti that can give details please.

Another heavy handed lesson from this paid hobby of ours

supermoix
22nd Sep 2011, 22:00
For what i have heard, and the where the accident location is, suspect is CFIT in very bad convective weather, Beech 99.

heloguy412
23rd Sep 2011, 07:12
I spent six months there and we were always told of a crash that occured on the highest peak just southeast of Port au Prince at around 8000' It is the only prominent feature in that vicinity. If it happened in convective activity, I can attest to the fact that the thunderstorms can be severe. 0 visibility is common in heavy rain.ie: 75 millimetres in 15 minutes heavy. Flew through one storm and had 6 inches of water in the chin bubble of my helicopter.

Cheers

Blohm
23rd Sep 2011, 16:27
Hello Dominican, which accident are you referring to? Type of aircraft and nationality of the pilot would help. There were a few accidents during the early 90 s. Weather gets bad every afternoon over there, nothing new or to exceptional compared to other tropical places.

The Dominican
24th Sep 2011, 04:29
Thank you Blohm, it was this week. capt. Zorrilla was lay to rest yesterday in his home town in Dominican Republic amongst friends, family and colleagues, regrettably I wasn't able to attend since I'm literally in the other side of the world but my thoughts were with my friends.

nano404
1st Oct 2011, 01:28
The Dominican, I'm sorry to hear about your loss. I didn't hear about the accident before I saw this thread. Here's 2 pages I found.

ASN Aircraft accident Beechcraft 99A HH-APA Milot (http://aviation-safety.net/database/record.php?id=20110920-0)

Three People Killed In Plane Crash In Haiti | Fox News (http://www.foxnews.com/world/2011/09/20/three-people-killed-in-plane-crash-in-haiti/#ixzz1YXtVrJsx)

Blohm,
I think you misread his post as saying the accident happened over 20 years ago, rather, he was saying that his friend of more than twenty years was killed in the accident.