PDA

View Full Version : Distance learning ATPL

CharlieTangoZulu
20th Sep 2011, 14:56
Hello everybody!
I'm new in this forum but i've been reading it quite a lot in the last few weeks, well I present myself at first, i'm an italian guy working in Australia at the moment, the only purpose it to make money to start (finally) the licenses PPL(A) to ATPL, somewhere around the world. I still have an year left here in downunda but i've been thinking a bit about starting now to study for the 14 ATPL exams, of course slowly during the freetime after work. So the question is, is it possible even without the PPL ( zero hours flight ) to attend an distance learning lesson, means studying at home and occasionaly a lesson at one of the flight schools here in sorroundings of Perth? I have to tell the truth i haven't checked the flight schools here in perth yet, but i hope somebody could still give any personal advises :)
it doesn't really matter at the moment for me whether a JAA or CASA ATPL, i'll think about a possible conversion in the future though, after australia...
apologizing for not the best english, and thanking everybody anyway!
cheers and happy landing :ok:

Airbusboy
21st Sep 2011, 10:59
Im doing the distance learning ATPLs with Oxford Aviation, and a requirement to start the DL was a PPL(A) and a class 1 medical. Im not sure you can start/enrol onto an ATPL course without your PPL? I could be wrong though!

mad_jock
21st Sep 2011, 11:23
you need a icao ppl to start.

But i really would advise to get a class one out of the way before you commit any money to flying.

CharlieTangoZulu
21st Sep 2011, 19:26
yep the medical issue isn't a problem , i've passed the first class 3 years ago for school reasons! i just need to re take it

clearpr0p
22nd Sep 2011, 22:59
Airbusboy...

I was thinking about possibly doing distance learning ATPLs with Oxford, PPL and ample hours already in the bag of course.

Would you/others out there be kind enough to let me know what you think about the OAA distance learning course. I know I will need to expect a reasonable amount of self discipline e.g. Wake up 8am, do a full days work etc, and keep this routine. Be grateful if you could share your opinion/thoughts from your study experience to date.

Anybody's thoughts who might know...

Appreciating there are no instructors about to ask questions to on the spot straight away, my main concern regarding distance learning is would one be disadvantaged versus the full time ground-school folk in terms of fewer resources e.g. handouts, exam past-papers, revision guides etc. Is this noticeably true?

thanks for your input :ok:,

DiamondC
26th Sep 2011, 20:55
As mad_jock says, you need an ICAO PPL to start your ATPL groundschool.

When it comes to distance education vs classroom learning, it depends on your learning style. If you are focussed and disciplined then self-study is fine. I am doing my ATPLs with Bristol by distance and passed the first 8 with good marks. A classroom revision course is compulsory before the exams (for Bristol is two weeks before each set of exams) so you get handouts, practice exams, etc then. If you are enrolled in a distance education course the instructors are often available by email or phone during the self-study period and there are online forums where students can share questions and answers.

Also (CharlieTangoZulu) make sure you consider how long your exams are valid. For JAA/EASA you have 3 years from your first exam to get your CPL/IR if you want the exams to count towards a "fATPL", so make sure you have the money and time to get everything done in time before you start. I'm envious of you being in Perth - would be some awesome flying if you got your PPL there.

CharlieTangoZulu
27th Sep 2011, 18:28
DiamondC

thanks a lot i didn't know there were these 3 years maximun time to get the CPL/IR before the exams expire! i'm not really worried though... and thanks to all the posts in this forum i'm making my way out to get the licenses, or at least i start to have a good and real idea about what's outside!
Btw Perth is good and surrounding areas as well, specially now summer's starting :}