PDA

View Full Version : Logbook Questions

Machismo
20th Sep 2011, 13:24
I have been working for a tour company for the past year or so and we operate on an island in the middle of one of the US Great Lakes. I was told that I should log the time I have been flying as off shore time due to the fact that we are off shore. I have never heard of this and before pen goes to paper I wanted to ask those who may know such things.

Second, sometimes we tow a banner for an insurance company it is suspended 200 ft below the helicopter. I was also told I should log that as long line time. Are these things I should log or is the Chief Pilot just saying things to hear himself talk?

Thanks again

TipCap
20th Sep 2011, 13:32
From 45 years of helicopter flying, 40 of them offshore, I would say that you are stretching things to say flying to an from an island in the middle of a lake counts as offshore flying. Sure, if you are operating to a rig, semi sub or diving vessel.

Also I think you are stretching the long line bit again. I had a lot of experience of underslung load lifting but no long line experience but I knew many who were experts at long lining. I think banner towing, again is stretching a point.

This is my personal interpretation of the two but I am sure there are many out there who will be able to quote you chapter and verse on the legal or official definitions of both

John

TiPwEiGhT
20th Sep 2011, 13:38
http://www.pprune.org/rotorheads/461104-offshore-definition.html

Machismo
20th Sep 2011, 13:45
Thanks,

I mean I guess I could see his reasoning for saying it, but still I am not sure if I showed up to say PHI or Colombia for instance if they asked me what kinda off shore and long line experience I had if after hearing they may laugh or simply say were looking for someone with actual experience.

bigglesbutler
20th Sep 2011, 13:57
"Long Line" is a vertical reference skill, i.e. hovering up high with a load underneath, not flying along towing a banner? I can see the requirement to hover to get the banner off the ground and to return it to the ground but I don't think the chinook drivers in Canada would agree with your chiefs outook.

Just my thoughts, I feel for you I too am trying to tidy up my hours and keep things right.

Si

Gordy
20th Sep 2011, 14:13
Offshore---no.

Why not just add a column to your logbook that is labelled "Banner tow"....most log books have blank columns for you to use. Once you move on to other jobs you can put a statement in the back of your logbook with the banner tow hours and then use that column for something else from that point on if needed. It certainly is NOT "long line" or "VR".

Machismo
20th Sep 2011, 16:50
Glad I asked before I just blindly followed his advice. Would there really be a need you think to log banner towing?

newfieboy
20th Sep 2011, 16:56
Machismo,

Being a longline pilot in Canada, yeah we would have a good laugh if you claimed banner towing as longline hours :D. Also the job I am on right now is staging off an island 75nm offshore Hudson Bay, which is classed as a sea, not a lake and involves demobbing a camp and 3xdrills to a barge anchored offshore.....oh and is very precision stuff with very heavy loads and not alot of room on said heaving boat. I am claiming longline time for sure, but offshore time ....nope, Mmmm maybe I should :ok: Company I work for is always looking for longline guys....come on 'oop north', give us all a good laugh.......:ugh: Gordy, hope all's well with you....Regards Newfie.

bigglesbutler
20th Sep 2011, 17:11
If in a future job you are asked if you can then you have proof of that. There is no harm as Gordy has suggested to log it and do a summary at the back when you finish that job, if nothing else it helps bring back memories of where you started or have been.

I recently transposed my paper logbook to a digital one, PAINFUL in the extreme, but boy did it bring back dome memories. LOG EVRYTHING, for nothing else if not for the sentiment provided it is accurate and true.

Good luck

Si

TipCap
20th Sep 2011, 17:21
Simon

I have digitally logged my 7 logbooks (actually using Excel) and it took forever but it is now done and saved. It also showed how bad I was at adding hours manually

As you said, it did bring back a whole load of memories, some good, some not so good - :)

Hope things are going well up North. They tell me other places are warmer though ;)

John

bigglesbutler
20th Sep 2011, 17:32
HA it isn't just me with the adding up, and I tried to be so meticulous as well. Yes it is sunnier and warmer John, I am sitting in Spain at the moment and the condensation on the beer in the sun is GLORIOUS, sorry :ok:.

Si

P.S. I did reply to your pm, eventually :E

Gordy
20th Sep 2011, 17:58
Newfie:

Gordy, hope all's well with you....Regards Newfie.

Life is good....spent 3 months in Georgia on the Honey Prairie fire--nasty place, too many bugs and don't even go there with the humidity. I am now back in the mountains of Utah and Idaho finishing up wild fire season and beginning controlled burns....

You be safe up there...catch you soon.....