PDA

View Full Version : Qantas workforce as Part of the Sales Force

packrat
20th Sep 2011, 11:23
When I was inducted into the employ of Qantas I was made aware that I was now part of the Qantas Sales force and that I should actively seek out opportunities to up sell and on sell the product.
I did this with great enthusiasm for the first 17 years of my employ.BBQs,bank Qs,elevators,family parties.You name it I was in there batting for the Red Team.
As my treatment by managment became worse and the quality of the product began to detiorate I became a little quieter and somewhat embarrassed by the product.I stayed quiet for a long time but as I became more disengaged and disappointed I began quietly talking the product down.Then that stopped and i only responded to questions about the airline when asked directly.
A positive customer experience can convert into around 6 sales of a product basically through word of mouth.
A negative customer experience converts to twice as many lost sales.
So when you have 30,000 disengaged staff how many lost sales does that create?
Axiom 1.
When you in the business of selling a service dont piss on the sales team.They provide you with a lot of your bread and butter for free

Sunfish
20th Sep 2011, 18:43
You are 100% correct Packrat.

You might add that word of mouth advertising is the most effective method there is.

After a business class trip to and from LAX some years ago that was totally underwhelming considering the price tag*, I believe I've converted at least Two hundred people to "anything but Qantas".

* Aircraft discovered to be broken on start up (leaking spoiler actuator), sit in aircraft for an hour, no spare in Melbourne, deplane, fly to Sydney, change planes, rotten seat allocation in full aircraft, bored staff, rotten service, boring food, missed connection at LAX.

- Return trip had equally bored and disinterested staff. What really disconcerted me was their attitude to my usual 3.00am visit to the galley for a glass of water and stretch the legs. That is the time on any trip when you can find out whether the staff are "engaged" or not. I obviously interrupted the discussion of their rosters and the two bored CC made their annoyance quite plain, which told me all I needed to know.

Be aware that some of us do that sort of thing deliberately - even to the point of being a little unreasonable, just to see what reaction we get - and the outcome determines our future booking preferences...

I contrast that experience with a QF LHR - MEL flight in the mid 70's. Across the isle from me in economy were a family of Four Poms - translucent winter hue, and very, very nervous. They were immigrating to Australia and once the CC discovered this, which he did in about One minutes conversation, he just could not do enough for them - the subsequent crew did the same. It made you proud to be flying Qantas.

skybed
20th Sep 2011, 23:26
agree with your assessment:ok:

mikk_13
21st Sep 2011, 07:32
they don't want you to be part of the work force, let alone sell the product.