PDA

View Full Version : Six injured by spilled beverages on Vancouver-Australia airline flight

rotornut
19th Sep 2011, 14:58
Prime example of media BS::eek:

Six injured by spilled beverages on Vancouver-Australia airline flight (http://www.calgaryherald.com/life/injured+spilled+beverages+Vancouver+Australia+airline+flight/5424449/story.html)

Octopussy2
19th Sep 2011, 15:18
Foolish of them not to have opted for a G&T in the first place...

DX Wombat
19th Sep 2011, 15:21
I was once told by a member of BA Cabin Crew that if I was holding a hot drink when the aircraft encountered turbulence then I should deliberately pour it onto the central carpet strip to avoid being scalded.

radeng
19th Sep 2011, 16:01
In the days when Flybe flew for BA, I was on a Bristol - Paris flight one morning. Just over the French coast, we met terrific wake turbulence. The 4 people drinking wine had no problem: the three people drinking coffee had it all over them.

Which proves coffee is bad for you!

Krystal n chips
19th Sep 2011, 16:17
Fear not....as a piece of superb reporting, plus rather obvious film evidence, the last paragraph of this little gem is on a par with the OP's link...:ugh:.

BBC News - Leeds Bradford airport: Plane lands with wheel problem (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leeds-14958957)

Storminnorm
19th Sep 2011, 16:23
I can STILL remember having to rush into the galley on a
BIA aircraft, drop my drawers and chuck cold water over my
bits after a Hosty dropped a cup of HOT coffee in my lap.
Well, that was MY excuse. Yer Honour!!!
NO, it really did happen!!!

ross_M
19th Sep 2011, 16:51
Why don't they use cups with lids?

hellsbrink
19th Sep 2011, 17:10
Christ, ross, don't suggest that or Ryanair will see an opening and charge you 10 extra for one.

ross_M
20th Sep 2011, 19:16
How long before hot-drinks on planes become a decadent luxury of the past. Look at peanuts.

Spit161
20th Sep 2011, 19:37
Fear not....as a piece of superb reporting, plus rather obvious film evidence, the last paragraph of this little gem is on a par with the OP's link....

BBC News - Leeds Bradford airport: Plane lands with wheel problem

That is some of the most obvious eye witness accounts I've read in a while!

rh200
20th Sep 2011, 22:52

Now if that doesn't get them to give you some sympathy and help mop you up nothing will. Unless of course their worried about you making more of a mess.:E

Mostly Harmless
20th Sep 2011, 23:33

Did anyone offer to kiss it better?

jackieofalltrades
20th Sep 2011, 23:33
How long before hot-drinks on planes become a decadent luxury of the past. Look at peanuts.

You can still get peanuts on a flight. Delta airlines still serve them. Which amazes me considering the prolific rise in allergic reactions to peanuts.

radeng
21st Sep 2011, 13:46
Even more interesting since peanuts aren't nuts anyway, but beans.

Storminnorm
21st Sep 2011, 15:31
Are peanuts becoming stronger?
Or are people developing allergic reactions more often?
This is a fascinating subject that I've wasted a lot of my
"pondering" over.
I really cannot sort out in my (Limited Capacity) head why
there seem to be so many people now with "Allergies" of one
sort or another.
It seems particularly rife in small, middle class, children.
"Peanuts" is now almost a swearword. Strange.
When I was small, the local shop used to sell "Peanut Brittle."
It was just peanuts in a hard toffee. Delicious it was. A real treat.
I wonder if anyone still sells the stuff, or have they all been thrown
in jail for attempted mass murder?

visibility3miles
21st Sep 2011, 16:29
Are peanuts becoming stronger?
Or are people developing allergic reactions more often?

I love peanuts and peanut butter. I enjoy being able to consume it and casually place the utensils in the sink without cleaning them meticulously.

My sister is highly allergic to peanuts. As a child, it meant the offending substance would come back up as fast as it went down. As a teenager, anaphylactic shock kicked in, so a few ER and doctors visits happened no matter how careful she was.

The fumes from peanuts served on a plane caused her eyes to swell shut even if she never touched them.

Yes, peanut allergies are common, and it goes beyond handing out tissue paper for teary eyes.

ShyTorque
21st Sep 2011, 17:03

Hope you didn't use the tea towel to dry up afterwards.... :yuk:

ross_M
21st Sep 2011, 17:14
While on the subject of peanut paranoia:

Official wants people to stop feeding nuts to squirrels outside Capitol - JSOnline (http://www.jsonline.com/news/wisconsin/42542452.html)

Official wants people to stop feeding nuts to squirrels outside Capitol

Madison - State officials are looking for the person feeding squirrels on the Capitol grounds, and they want him or her to stop.

In an e-mail forwarded Monday to employees in the Capitol and a nearby complex of buildings, Assistant Facilities Director Ron Blair said someone has been carpeting part of the Capitol lawn with peanuts every day, and that could endanger children with peanut allergies.

"We'd like the distribution of peanuts stopped," Blair's e-mail said.

But a group that advocates for children with food allergies is considerably less concerned about the situation.

Beth Ramos, who speaks to schools and day cares for the Food Allergy Association of Wisconsin, said she was pleased the state was thinking about allergies in such a situation. But she said she didn't believe that feeding squirrels on the Capitol lawn presented a danger to her peanut-allergic 8-year-old son, Ray.

"If I was walking around the Capitol and saw them on the lawn, I would tell him not to touch them and just move on," she said.

Instead, she said, state officials should concentrate on improving research funding, pass stricter food-labeling laws and do more to educate the public.

"I'm not expecting the whole planet to be nut free," Ramos said. "We're not asking the world to change for us. We just want to make it a little easier for our children to navigate."

Blair, the state official, said in an interview that he was concerned about 2- and 3-year-old children from nearby day cares who regularly play on the Capitol grounds. Children that young with allergies could easily pick up peanuts and put them in their mouths, with tragic results, he said.

He noted that the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has found that 4% to 8% of children have a food allergy. About 3.3 million Americans are allergic to peanuts or tree nuts, according to the agency. Exposure to allergens can be fatal in the most serious cases.

Blair's e-mail said someone was coming out of a building across from the Capitol and dumping a large amount of peanuts on the lawn to feed squirrels. He said it had been happening every weekday for about two weeks.

He sent his e-mail to the building's landlord, which forwarded it to all tenants. The building includes state offices but mostly houses private businesses. The e-mail was also sent to legislators.

Blair said he hoped by putting the word out he would get "anonymous compliance" with his request, but he acknowledged the state has little power to stop someone from feeding squirrels on public property.

"I guess the question is, is it really necessary to pass a law to make people considerate?" he said. "We're just asking them to stop, please stop. . . .  We'd like to think of that as everybody's building."

Michael Ritter, who treats children with food allergies at the UW Health's Allergy, Asthma and Immunology Clinic, said peanut allergies are serious afflictions that result in 100 to 150 fatalities a year nationally.

"The chance of something happening (on the Capitol grounds) would be small," he said.

But he also said the public at large needs to help children with allergies to make their lives easier. Many people aren't aware of the potential dangers, he said.

Roger Idzikowski, a Salem Grade School teacher who brought about 115 fourth-graders to Madison for a Capitol tour Monday, said some children are so allergic to peanuts that even the fragrance of them will cause a reaction. But he said that seemed unlikely in this case.

"We do have to be cognizant of the peanut allergy, but I think that would be more (of a problem) in an enclosed area," he said. With the peanuts being scattered outside, "I don't see that as being as big an issue."

Told of the peanut controversy as he walked out of the Capitol, Assembly Minority Leader Jeff Fitzgerald (R-Horicon) said: "You kidding me? We've got bigger problems than that."

11Fan
21st Sep 2011, 17:23
Nuts...................... :cool:

http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/bb36/Dmiyan/t1_squirrel_nuts.jpg

Hey, how they hangin today Rocky?

stuckgear
21st Sep 2011, 18:01

Would you call a bit of 'Snoopy' decadent ?

radeng
21st Sep 2011, 19:02
What is raising the number of allergy sufferers? For well over 40 years, I've been allergic to 2 things - penicillin and work. The second one I can't do much about, although now I'm self employed, I can get over it by thinking of the invoice I'll be sending out.

Arm out the window
21st Sep 2011, 21:28
When I was small, the local shop used to sell "Peanut Brittle."...

I wonder if anyone still sells the stuff, or have they all been thrown
in jail for attempted mass murder?

Probably gone the way of see-saws in parks, in Australia at least.

They were everywhere when I was a kid, hours of fun, but apparently much too dangerous ... I suppose? None left now, anyway.

ross_M
22nd Sep 2011, 10:56
They were everywhere when I was a kid, hours of fun, but apparently much too dangerous ... I suppose? None left now, anyway.

If seesawing be too dangerous what about swings, slides and jungle gyms? Sigh...Me grew up thinking Australia's where all the adventure is......