PDA

View Full Version : Need civilian experience, but where to get it???

lovegroove
19th Sep 2011, 12:08
Hi,

I've posted about this before, but am still stuck in the same situation. I did 8 years in the RAF and since leaving in 2007, I've just been working military contracts, apart from the odd week at KLM in Norwich. I've completed all the modules for my B2 licence, but just can't seem to get in anywhere to get the required civil experience.

I live in France and the nearest airport to me is Geneva, but no luck getting in there. I would offer to work for free so that I can complete my licence, but as it's an hour away with toll roads as well, I just can't afford to pay €20 a day (fuel + toll) to work and I don't have any contacts at Geneva to try and find out if maybe a company would be willing to pay my travel expenses if I offer to work for free to complete my log book.

Has anyone got any links for anyone hiring avionics mechanics at the moment, preferably on biz jets or 737/A320?

Cheers,

LG

abzheli
19th Sep 2011, 20:15
BA in Glasgow and Ryanair in Prestwick are always looking for connies to work through the winter. But be warned, its one of the lowest, if not thee lowest pay. I think its £13 an hour mon-fri, £14 sat&sun at BA, i'm not sure what the rates are in Prestwick but it wont be much more but you can do plenty of hours their, 60+ a week.

shedhead
20th Sep 2011, 14:39
last I heard Prestwick was £14 per hour, fair amount of hours on offer and as it is mainly "c" checks not a bad way of getting experience. however... what the chances are of getting in there with no prior experience on type I have no idea.

grounded27
20th Sep 2011, 15:56
Got to earn your bones somewhere. This industry is all about making a sacrifice. Definately have to be willing to go where the work is. If not you are better off cutting your losses NOW and seeking another career path!!

I see you live in Cambridge, I was there there more than a decade ago with a few MD-11's for A checks during Hajj. Great town and the MRO seemed respectable. Is it still in operation?

Alber Ratman
21st Sep 2011, 16:11
grounded27, the MRO you refer to has binned EASA PART 145 work and just does RAF C-130s and Tristars..