PDA

View Full Version : Intersections and No FMC's?

G-BPEC
16th Aug 2001, 22:25
Another silly question from a wannabe...

Obviously large airliners such as the Boeing's have complex and detailed Flight Management Computers, and so if cleared to an Intersection which isn't a VOR/NDB etc, et LISTO, WILLO etc. they simply select the wypoint, move it to the top and select LNAV.

My question is, how do older IFR passenger aircraft such as some props get to these points?

Also, can any Dash 8 operators tell me if their aircraft are equipped with FMC's? I am particularly interested in the Brymon fleet.

Thanks
G-BPEC

Max Angle
16th Aug 2001, 23:05
Most pilots of non r-nav aircraft use an old and very reliable system called TLAR.

"That looks about right!"

Manflex55
16th Aug 2001, 23:11
Simply use RNAV. Most of the light twins I've flown during my training (Senecas, Seminoles) were RNAV-equipped... so that's the minimum equipments U can expect from bigger a/cs. Whatever waypoint U choose in Europe (& especially in the UK), there's almost always a nearby VOR from which U can calculate its distance & bearing... such calculation would B part of your flight planning.

MF

fudpucker
17th Aug 2001, 00:20
Above FL95 you must have a FMS of some description. Brymon Have FMS on all their ac.

FL310
17th Aug 2001, 01:12
Fudpucker...if you call a single !!! Trimble GPS linked via some capton wiring to a switch to reroute the CDI input from VOR to GPS a FMS....
No flight director and no autopilot and no FMS required....just a simple GPS based system update.