PDA

View Full Version : Red Arrows & the Great North Run

P6 Driver
18th Sep 2011, 10:17
Just seen the Reds fly over the Tyne Bridge as part of the Great North Run. Seven jets in all. Six with white smoke, and one trailing red and breaking upwards in a "missing man" manouevre in memory of Flt Lt Egging.

Dr Emma Egging is running in the event with (I believe), Red 10.

The Red Arrows are scheduled to display over South Shields at 1.15pm today.

P6 Driver
18th Sep 2011, 12:35
Update having seen part of the South Shields display on the BBC.

It appeared that the display was by four aircraft only, starting with what looked like a random and loose formation flypast. If you "joined the dots", it resembled a figure "4" on its side. A well thought out tribute for my money.

Spit161
18th Sep 2011, 12:52
Their flypast over the Great North Run was very poignant, I found.

cheers,
Jake.

Torque Tonight
18th Sep 2011, 16:31
Noticed the pic on the BBC website. 9 jets in vic with the #4 trailing red smoke. A subtle, dignified and poignant tribute. Well done all.

http://news.bbcimg.co.uk/media/images/55437000/jpg/_55437246_gnr.jpg

cazatou
18th Sep 2011, 16:47
TT

There are only 7 aircraft in that formation.

Torque Tonight
18th Sep 2011, 20:50
Yes, I'll give you that one Caz. I knocked out the post in a hurry without proof reading it. The sentiment of my post stands, though.

racedo
18th Sep 2011, 22:49
Down the M3 during the week and they flew over, not seen so many brake lights come on so quickly as people slowed to see them.............great sight.

AR1
19th Sep 2011, 20:39
Got not a little p*ssed of with Sue Barker trying desperatly to get Mrs Eggings 'emotional' angle. Not content until they have someone bawling on live TV.

Congratulations on Mrs Egging for retaining some dignity in the face of such questioning. I'd have been tempted to give them the angle they were looking for by biffing Barker on the jaw.