PDA

View Full Version : Crash at Nevada Air Race

Robert Cooper
17th Sep 2011, 01:25
A P-51 crashed into the front of the crowd at the Nevada Air Race today. Reports of 75 injured, but news is still developing.

Bob C :sad:

Oilhead
17th Sep 2011, 02:08
I just got off the phone with a friend who was working in the "pits" on a plane when the accident aircraft came down. He watched it happen right in front of him. Said the plane was pulling hard in the left hand turn and then flipped up and over to the right and came straight down, heading for the pits area (he said it looked like it was coming straight down at him) but then yawed away towards the boxes. He estimated it hit about 75 yards from where he was standing. He said the area it hit was a VIP "box seating" type area. He sounded very shaken and was heading off to find liquid remedies from Dr.Daniels, or whoever is on standby there. He expects a high casualty figure based on where it hit, and what he saw. He was very very shaken. All very sad for sure. :sad:

I spy
17th Sep 2011, 02:10
Footage here....just bloody horrible........not good at alll :{

'Mass casualties' reported after plane crashes at Nevada air show - CNN.com (http://edition.cnn.com/2011/US/09/16/nevada.plane.crash/)

Officials will be holding a press conference shortly on ABC News 24.

Robert Cooper
17th Sep 2011, 17:40
Five dead including the pilot, Jimmy Leeward. NTSB is on the scene but there doesn't seem to be much left except small pieces. Hell of a mess. RIP

Bob C :sad:

ICT_SLB
17th Sep 2011, 23:35
Just saw an update on our local TV station here in Wichita, a close up still of the aircraft shows the trim tab detached from the elevator at one end. Sadly the number of fatalities has increased to nine over night. My condolences to all.

Robert Cooper
18th Sep 2011, 18:05
"Voodoo" suffered a flutter-induced trim tab separation in 1998 at the Reno Air Races. The aircraft immediately shot into a climb. The 10G pull put the pilot to sleep. He came to just as the plane came over the top and was able to land safely.

Very similar scenario but without the happy ending.

Bob C