PDA

View Full Version : Canada

Cacophonix
16th Sep 2011, 20:43
Listen...

I am not trying to lick North American arse here... but, hell, it is a great country.

Should I move or join my brother Raoul flying in the South?

Caco

PS - Africa is [email protected]@d.

Edited to say: The truth is my brother is not R but Pat and he is moving to NZ with his wife. Damn it.

Um... lifting...
16th Sep 2011, 21:06
That scotches this, then, I suppose...

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRAiTHs4C0WTHQkcRqOPJopnna_Gv20TiNkp7cTz0U dNH2Zd4h_rg

Cacophonix
16th Sep 2011, 21:10
Ah another Mary Woronov fan.. :ok:

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ0NKhP8astweU0C4l-nOjkxQGYGCmjnht4AsFlQ1uirO7J-nGO

Um... lifting...
17th Sep 2011, 00:30
Hold that thort... this be Mary some four years back.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/d/d2/Mary_Woronov_by_David_Shankbone.jpg/220px-Mary_Woronov_by_David_Shankbone.jpg

stuckgear
17th Sep 2011, 10:08
Caco.

I have to agree with you Canuckland is a great country and they don't have Obama ! :E

Airborne Aircrew
17th Sep 2011, 13:23
Ahhh, yes... Canukistan... :E

Davaar
18th Sep 2011, 00:22
and they don't have Obama

True! True! But we have a Dalton McGuinty.

Trade you ten bottle tops and a Dalton McGuiity for One Obama.

pigboat
18th Sep 2011, 01:00
And of course we had Himself.

GrumpyOldFart
18th Sep 2011, 03:45
Himself

Lyin' Brian?

Lights blue touch paper and retires...

:E

er340790
18th Sep 2011, 17:20
I understand, however, that The International Criminal Court in The Hague still has an outstanding arrest warrant against Leonard :mad: Cohen.... for Crimes Against Humanity.

Can't have it all, I guess....

grizzled
18th Sep 2011, 18:45
Airborne Aircrew...

"Canuckistan" sounds like a comment from someone in "Amerika"... :)

Davaar
18th Sep 2011, 19:16
Lyin' Brian?

Jerry, I'd bet pigboat had someone else in mind; I would, too. Same one.

Cacophonix
18th Sep 2011, 20:28
Keep growing your beards and hope for people called Van der Merwe!

Caco

stuckgear
18th Sep 2011, 21:04
"Canuckistan" sounds like a comment from someone in "Amerika"... http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/smile.gif

Americans go south of the border to a backward country for cheap gas and cheap vacations...

so do canadians :E

pigboat
19th Sep 2011, 17:48
With apologies to Lord Byron.

Posterity will ne'er survey
A nobler grave than this.
Here lies the bones of Pierre Trudeau
Stop traveller, and piss. :p

Davaar
19th Sep 2011, 18:07
Here lies the bones of Pierre Trudeau
Stop traveller, and piss.

So near and yet so far!

Once in the happy distant past I occupied a "stall" somewhere in the Parliamentary Buildings, busily engaged, when all of a sudden, "Next Door" was taken by the Great Man. A bolt, as it were,from the blue.

"Multi-tasking", He addressed me: "Hi!", he said.

Such were his very words.

I replied: "Hi!".

A moment treasured by me over the years and I suppose by him.

G-CPTN
19th Sep 2011, 18:18
Indeed, Brian Clough once remarked about Frank Sinatra "He's met me.".

Clough, when asked whether he was the best football manager replied "I wouldn't say I was the best, but was among the top one."

PukinDog
19th Sep 2011, 18:25
Canuckistan indeed...

http://www.joeydevilla.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/somalia-libya-egypt-vancouver.jpg

Mostly Harmless
20th Sep 2011, 04:30
Soccer hooligans... Hockey hooligans.

I am hoping that Vancouver is shamed enough that this will never happen again.

Canada is a great country... shame about our government though. However, I do believe that bad government is one of the universal constants. Right there with taxes and death.

SMT Member
20th Sep 2011, 06:44
Have seen a lot that's called Canada, but not a lot of Canada. Passed over the great frozen northern eastern parts at a comfortable distance of around 35.000 feet many a time, and it doesn't look very inviting unless you're a polar explorer, a polar bear who's caught the scent of an unarmed explorer, or just fancy trying a frostbite for kicks. I'm not very good at arctic escapades, and prefer my exposure to snow taking place in a nice Alpine village, with not too testing slopes on which to ski a bit from stubchen to stubchen, before heading back to a warm hotel room and a friendly bar, one that has ashtrays on the desk and tables.

As far as boots on ground goes, I've only planted mine in the, not very representative I understand, province of Quebec. Montreal to be exact.

First time I've visited was in February, where I feared either aliens or the plague had annihilated the population - when I stepped out of the hotel in the evening in search of sustenance, the streets were deserted. And not just deserted by city standards, deserted by Antarctic standards. Then I found out everybody had taken to the extensive underground tunnels, which is like a small city in its own right. Found it very depressing that life could only exist underground, and how dreadfully boring underground life is. Not exactly smoker friendly either.

Second time was also Montreal, but in April. Substantial remains of the white stuff, so frequently and generously sprinkled on Montreal for much of the year, was everywhere, brushed aside in large greying boulders. It was grey, windy, various intensities of rain interspersed with a touch of ice cold sleet, and all smoking is obviously confined to the great outdoors, braving frostbite and people talking to you in French. Deciding on a daytirp was an act of desperation, choosing Ottawa as a destination the result of rearranging the calender of our host, moving an embassy visit forward. It wasn't worth it - I cannot recall having been to a more soulless, featureless and dreary capitol. There's literally nothing of interest, and the 2 hour wait while our host secured a visa to some flea infested backwater, was spent at a lousy diner offering lowbrow American cousine, but messed up and given a Caribbean twist. Basically it meant eggs and begs on a plate decorated with large slices of exotic fruit, with a lump of toast and tree juice on the side. Never lost an otherwise healthy appetite so quickly.

But I've been told Montreal can be the right place, just that I was there at the wrong time, and that I haven't seen the best bits of Canada, in particular Vancouver and the mountains. Don't know about the latter, a large piece of rock with snow on the top is just that, good only for skiing and I don't need to travel half way around the world to strap on the planks, but I'm intrigued by Vancouver. My trusty atlas tells me it's not far North of Seattle, which makes me wonder if it's just as wet, or perhaps a bit more, and how much colder it is for way to many months of the year. Still, I'd love to go and probably will involuntarily, of course, as was the case with both my previous visits. It will probably be in October or March, whichever month has the worst weather to offer. I hear you can take a cruise boat from there, sail even further North and watch large bits of ice falling off a mountain, occasionally venturing outside but unable to smoke because your lips are covered by solid layer of inch thick frost.

Next:
The definitive guide to traveling in Russia, based on no personal experience at all.

Um... lifting...
20th Sep 2011, 15:17
Vancouver, you'll find, ain't that cold. It is, however, a bit moist. November is often lovely, and when the sun's out, it's a spectacular setting.

There's very good skiing within an hour, and world class skiing within two.

Hole up at the Flying Beaver behind YVR and have a beer and a bite and watch more seaplanes than you've seen in your life take off and land.

You seem rather emotional about the inability to smoke. Have you tried getting laid?

beaufort1
20th Sep 2011, 15:40
I visited Vancouver last year then went and played with the polar bears in Churchill.
I can certainly see why Vancouver is one of the most desirable cities to live, a wonderful vibrant place with very friendly people. What's not to like? You have mountains, the sea and just about everything else you could need or want all within very easy reach.:ok:

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y17/grantdi/Canada%20October%202010/Seaplanes0417Oct10lo.jpg

tony draper
20th Sep 2011, 16:15
Went up and down the Seaway in the early sixties,have to say the French part was a better run ashore.
:rolleyes:

pigboat
20th Sep 2011, 16:18
Great thing about the climate though is it keeps the condescending assholes out. Mostly.

Rossian
20th Sep 2011, 17:06
......folks at Summerside PEI who were not from there used to say "This isn't the real Canada"
Later, folks in Greenwood NS said pretty much the same sort of thing; and after they'd flown us to Montreal, people there said pretty much the same sort of thing.
After a while (early '70s now) folks said at the T'ronno airshow " Course to see the REAL Canada you got to go further west."
Eventually ('90s) By now alerted to this "real Canada" thing, I asked at the Abbotsford airshow "Is this the real Canada?" Truly, I got the reply "Hell no that's the Maritimes where we all came in".
Later again, 2003, SWMBO and I toured BC as I tried to show her the real Canada. It was wonderful and she loved it. She even insisted that we went back again to Vancouver Island, which she also loved.
As I still have not found the real Canada, all I can say is I've liked everywhere I've been in that vast country ( not hugely keen on Argentia mind you) and thought that the people were wonderful.

If you haven't been yet - get your ass in gear and GO!

The Ancient Mariner

Loki
20th Sep 2011, 20:07
There are some grotty places though....just like anywhere else I suppose. anyone been to Spences Bridge? 100 mile house?

Loki
20th Sep 2011, 20:13
On the other hand, there are some beautiful spots

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k288/loki_021/forafrica/louise1.jpg

Lake Louise, before the tourists arrived one morning (you have to pretend the enormous hotel isn't there just behind me)

tony draper
20th Sep 2011, 20:19
I remember sailing through a place called Thousand Islands,vey picturesque that were.
:)

Wholigan
20th Sep 2011, 20:27
I spent 3 (plus) of the best years of my life in that fantastic country in the mid 70s, and still have many really close friends from there.

Fabulous place with fabulous people. If you haven't been there go as soon as you can.

I could bore you to death for hours with tales of the amazing people that settled that country. I have spent a long time researching those folks, and have to say they were a lot better and much tougher than I could ever hope to be.

Suffice to say that my daughter and her family live there now and I would tell them they were quite the most stupid people on earth if they ever decided to return to the UK permanently.

End of sermon.

Um... lifting...
20th Sep 2011, 22:58
Lake Louise, before the tourists arrived one morning (you have to pretend the enormous hotel isn't there just behind me)

...and you're not wearing your slippers and dressing gown while balancing a cup of coffee in one hand while shooting the photo with the other... hardscrabble...

Cacophonix
20th Sep 2011, 23:08
A good place. :ok:

Wholigan
20th Sep 2011, 23:32
Lake Louise a couple of years ago from a slightly different aspect at a somewhat different time of the year.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v479/Wholigan/893.jpg

That "enormous hotel"

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v479/Wholigan/901.jpg

And again from the lake

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v479/Wholigan/938.jpg

Love it!

pigboat
21st Sep 2011, 01:45
Wholey, I've looked at that pic of the ice castle from several angles. What is it dedicated to again? :p

Wholigan
21st Sep 2011, 07:28
Not sure if it's dedicated to anything, but every year when the lake freezes over, they groom a large area for skating and also build the ice castle and people can skate through and around it. They tout the rink as providing the highest skating in Canada. Certainly a great looking backcloth for skating.

They do also run an ice carving competition called Ice Magic each year, and maybe the castle forms a sort of backdrop/inspiration for this. Dunno really.

Night view of ice rink with castle from bedroom window:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v479/Wholigan/877.jpg

tony draper
21st Sep 2011, 10:15
Interesting prog on channel five last night about the American plans to invade Canada right up to the mid 1930s,well the whole British Empire actually but war games showed they got their arses so badly kicked,they had to forget India Australia and the rest of our bits but we had to let them keep Canada,sorry about that chaps
:( :rolleyes:

threemilesfinal
21st Sep 2011, 13:45
http://a1.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-snc1/v272/103/116/503308855/n503308855_588646_6116.jpg

Always nice to stay below this line... above, remember to pack your coat. ;)

MattGray
21st Sep 2011, 16:05
Fabulous place with fabulous people. If you haven't been there go as soon as you can.

I could bore you to death for hours with tales of the amazing people that settled that country. I have spent a long time researching those folks,..........As have I Wholi in a vain attempt to establish a positive link to my Scottish ancestors who bear the same name as many Canadian geographic features and regions.

As to the "real Canada" I believe that started to disappear about the same time Python did the Lumberjack song. I moved there west of the Rockies from Golders Green in the 60s and loved it. But the demographics have changed dramatically - and not always for the better.

Nevertheless, still a great country to visit. And who knows - maybe one day you may chance upon a real native born Canadian.

er340790
21st Sep 2011, 16:13
Been here for 8 years now and finally became a Moose this year.

What bugs me no end though is how even 'Bama is heard to use the phrase 'North American Oil & Gas Reserves' when referring to CANADIAN Oil & Gas Reserves.

Clearly in Washington the distinction between OURS and YOURS is being smudged.

It was never too difficult to envision a GWB / NeoCon grab of Alberta in the name of US SECURITY. But as the US of A economic ship sinks lower in the water, is that idea now part of mainstream political thinking????

Let's sign a L/T supply deal with China and see what happens! :E

pigboat
21st Sep 2011, 17:07
Let's sign a L/T supply deal with China and see what happens.

Good luck getting the pipeline to Prince Rupert past the leftard environmentalists out there.

radeng
21st Sep 2011, 17:11
The Canadian lady from whom I bought my house was born in Vancouver and now lives on Vancouver Island. According to her, there is nothing good in Canada east of Winnipeg. A Vancouver radio amateur told me that was wrong, and there's nothing good in Canada east of Banff!

The one time I went to Vancouver, I was amazed at the number of beggars on the streets - more than Istanbul.

I also caught chicken pox there - for the first time, and at the age of 43. Most unpleasant. And I never found any really decent beer there.

Storminnorm
21st Sep 2011, 17:36
Had a Neighbour up the road came from Vancouver.
She was a lovely woman, very nice natured manner.
After her (English) husband died about 20 yrs ago she
sold up in UK and went back home to Vancouver.
Heard that she died herself a few years ago.
At least she had some time back home.

GROUNDHOG
21st Sep 2011, 19:01
I live in the most idyllic part of the UK, quiet, beautiful scenery and beaches, heritage, low crime, mild weather and lovely people. To find somewhere else that comes even close would be hard.

I will be back in Nanaimo on Vancouver Island in a couple of weeks time - The beaches aren't up to much, damned power cables everywhere, I don't want my ocean view blighted by cables eight foot thick. Advertising billboards, TV is a joke (mind you its pretty bad here), it rains a lot and the houses are joyously designed by artists seem to be built to a quality expected from another sort of artist altogether. Its rubbish then.

Well actually no, the scenery is stunning, people lovely and the lifestyle enviable. I am looking for a second home on the Island ( Nanoose area?) to be near the grandchildren and where I hope to spend at least part of the year - preferably the dry part!

Another vote for the joys of Canada ( Vancouver area anyway) look forward to seeing you in a couple of weeks. Please BA can I have an upgrade.....