PDA

View Full Version : inquiries from a soon to be rotor pilot

helijitsu
16th Sep 2011, 16:06
Hello, and thank you for taking the time to read my thread. This isn't my first rodeo and I am not new to forum posting. so, as is proper forum etiquette I read the stickies and attached FAQ threads and still I have a few questions. First I will explain my situation and let you know a little about myself and then proceed with my inquiries.

I am a 25 year old Air Force veteran with no flight experience whatsoever... although I did get to ride ina black hawk once... which is probably what gave me the crazy idea that I should fly helicopters. Anyway, In my research I discovered that my GI bill was going to be pretty unhelpful as it doesn't pay flight school fees... I was pretty bummed until I read some changes that were made recently. The GI bill will now cover 100% of all flight fees associated with a degree program at an institute of higher learning. AHA! so I did some research and discovered Cosaviation.org a flight school in Tulare California that offers a degree in aviation with the College of the Sequoias.... long story short my flight school is payed for and I will graduate with a CFI(R) yipee!

However, in my research, I have learned that I will probably need about 3000 hours to be employable, and it costs about 300 dollars or more an hour to rent a helicopter... oh boggle! so, apparently, it is common practice for a recent licensee to become an instructor before beginning a career in the aviation industry... seems a little backward to me but I'll go with it...

I apologize for the lengthy read but I thank you for making it this far and will get to the question portion of my short autobiography:

the economy is crap in the US and Europe... how has that affected the aviation industry as it applies to helicopter pilot employment? what are my job prospects with 250 hours next year?

is there another country where pilots are better paid or job prospects are better?

is there a holy land of sorts that helicopter pilots aspire to?

I am sure it depends on the country but is it difficult to get licensed in say Europe or Asia if you learned to fly in America?

thanks again for your time, and I appologize for the lengthy read but I am quite enthusiastic about starting school next month and would like to be armed with as much knowledge as possible.

Peter-RB
16th Sep 2011, 16:31
Land of the Free, Home of the Brave.

here in the UK you will need to get flying hours of experience to become a CFI, more knowlegable people will put a number on that I am sure, but only you can do the thing, you wont be able to be any form of instructor without the hours,

So your decision, ask your self, "Do you have what it takes"

PeterR-B UK

hands_on123
16th Sep 2011, 19:32
This post surely has to be a joke.