PDA

View Full Version : Where to go in Kent?

Guern
15th Sep 2011, 20:55
I am going to be in Kent for a few days in October and wondered where the best aviation related Museums are? Any must sees?

Thanks in advance.

waco
15th Sep 2011, 22:04
BoB Memorial at Capel Le Ferne
BoB Museum at Hawkinge
Museum at Manston
The Jackdaw Pub as featured in the film.
Brenzett Museum...if open in October ?
Dover castle

Will that do for starters ??

Spit161
15th Sep 2011, 23:19
There are several places, but Hawkinge is a must. Superb.

Jake.

mally35
17th Sep 2011, 14:49
The museum at Headcorn is worth a visit. (Weekends)

brokenlink
17th Sep 2011, 15:30
RAF Biggin Hill Memorial Chapel
Chartwell (not far from Biggin)
White Hart pub in Brasted (near Biggin, pilots used to drink there).
Dover Castle war rooms.

skua
18th Sep 2011, 16:48
Chartwell is worth going to for the views alone. Looking South across the Kentish Weald you can see what inspired Churchill in 1940.
PS MAPS at Rochester Airport is also wortwhile - to see hi quality warbird restoration. But check opening times first.

Planemike
18th Sep 2011, 18:24
Guern..........

Should you elect to visit the museum at Hawkinge, be advised leave your camera at home. You will NOT be welcome with a camera.

Planemike

603DX
21st Sep 2011, 15:33
Guern - The Shoreham Battle of Britain Museum is excellent, located in the beautiful Darenth Valley near to Sevenoaks, Kent:

The Shoreham Aircraft Museum (http://www.shoreham-aircraft-museum.co.uk)

Not to be confused with the small museum at Shoreham Airport, West Sussex, although it often is!

603DX
22nd Sep 2011, 11:11
Should you elect to visit the museum at Hawkinge, be advised leave your camera at home. You will NOT be welcome with a camera.

To be fair, this seemingly draconian rule has some justification. On a visit myself, I asked why the ban. It seems that they experienced a "theft to order" by some criminal type who photographed many items on display, advertised them for sale on internet auction sites, then broke in and stole the one attracting the highest price. :suspect: :(

It's a case of "Once bitten, twice shy", I was told.