PDA

View Full Version : [email protected] day out..

stuckgear
15th Sep 2011, 09:20
From the Telegraph..
Crap Days Out: 10 of the worst days out in Britain - Telegraph (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/destinations/europe/uk/8761837/Crap-Days-Out-10-of-the-worst-days-out-in-Britain.html)

Thereís no getting around the fact: we are a nation who love a rubbish day out. From childhood we are raised to expect the dire. With every trip to Stonehenge or the York Quilt Museum our parents were saying: ďSon, this is what your weekends are going to be like from now on Ė just a bit rubbish. So donít get your hopes up.Ē

So the only thing that was missing, we realised, was a guide to Britainís worst tourist attractions. We spent a year tramping the country writing it and having an awful time as we did so, so that you donít have to. Youíre welcome.

I thought this may be a fun thread for JB. So, what are your nominations / experiences of a [email protected] day out.... No geographic restrictions apply.

goudie
15th Sep 2011, 09:25
Any Shopping Mall comes to mind.

Flap 5
15th Sep 2011, 09:50
London by train or, even worse, by car.

In fact any time you step out of the house there is a high chance it will result in a crap day out. The weather, public transport, traffic - any number of factors contribute to this ecstasy. :{:{:{

osmosis
15th Sep 2011, 09:57
Darling, mother's house is hours away and... we need to talk.

McGoonagall
15th Sep 2011, 09:58
Natural History Museum. Not the slightest bit crap itself, just the experience. When tour group leaders understand that it is not acceptable to allow their charges to run amok through the galleries, climb on exhibits (while filming that one), abuse the museum staff in various languages and hold impromptu drinking sessions so much the better. Actually it started another impromptu drinking session as we bailed out and went to a local pub instead.

treadigraph
15th Sep 2011, 10:04
Any day that includes lunch or dinner in a Beefeater/Harvester style pub... unfortunately I have several relatives for whom these represent the highlight of culinary excellence and a dining experience to savour.

Goudie, whoever it was that came up with the notion that "retail therapy" can be a pleasurable passtime should be subjected to electric shock treatment.

Hobo
15th Sep 2011, 10:26
Any attraction with the word 'experience' in it. E.g. 'The Armada Experience', 'The King John Experience', 'The Shakespere Experience'.

Also the shop, in Stratford-on-Avon, that sells Christmas decorations all year round. When I stumbled across this astonishing retail outlet in May this year, the two shop assistants couldn't pack the stuff up, that the Americans were buying, quickly enough. With Xmas music blaring out it was truly depressing.

Tankertrashnav
15th Sep 2011, 10:29
Best bit of a day out is getting home for a (decent) cup of tea/paper/book/armchair/absence of other people.

I love being a miserable old git!

Rush2112
15th Sep 2011, 10:33
Sitting for hours in a queue of traffic trying to get to Brancaster on a belting hot summer day aged about 13, parents arguing the whole time.

Capetonian
15th Sep 2011, 11:06
Which is worse, Blackpool, Sarfend, or Clacton?

jimtherev
15th Sep 2011, 11:18
Weymouth. Tries to be any/all and fails miserably without losing the tat.
Believe me, I've lived there...

Lon More
15th Sep 2011, 11:32
The book was originally bought out several years ago IIRC

A day in the public gallery of the House of Commons watching the children at play must come near the top of the list, as would a day aircraft spotting.

The SSK
15th Sep 2011, 11:44
Darling, mother's house is hours away and... we need to talk.
And she replies ...

Flap 5
15th Sep 2011, 11:59

Whichever is further away. To get from Sarfend to Blackpool around the M25, up the M1 and M6 is a days journey / challenge / hell on earth. Once you arrive you are too knackered to enjoy the remainder of the day and you still have to get home again afterwards ... :hmm:

Um... lifting...
15th Sep 2011, 12:38
Have a nice cuppa, Dear... it will all sort itself out after a nice cuppa.

MagnusP
15th Sep 2011, 12:46
What about the zoo that only had one dog?

(I'll let somebody else fill it in)

osmosis
15th Sep 2011, 13:47
Why is it we never see these I-got-you-trapped-now-type talks coming? Sweet as a jam-filled donut until they pick their impossible-to-escape moment then... POW. A different species entirely. Gimme a week locked in a wool museum anytime.

Wyler
15th Sep 2011, 14:00
Anything to do with the National Trust or the Aristocracy. Thieving scum the lot of them.

Farm Shops who trade on the organic and home made bandwagon when, in fact, they all buy their jam from the same factory in Romania.

Farmers Markets.....see above.

Pubs with a 'try our famous carvery' sign outside.

Bah Humbug

Radar66
15th Sep 2011, 14:14
Weymouth. Tries to be any/all and fails miserably without losing the tat.

I see your Weymouth but I raise you Minehead... :yuk:

Anything that incorporates 'organised entertainment' and any of those all inclusive resorts where you have to wear a company wristband for the duration of your stay. *shudders*

Anything that involves one of the two worse types of Unimaginative Brits Abroad - either the shell suited oik demanding fish and chips and bangers on the costa del sol or the upper class twit that has been going to the same Brighton B&B style hotel abroad 'because it has been like this with the same owners for the last 50 years and we've been coming here every year since and we are practically regarded as being one of the locals don't you know?' GAH! :ugh:

rgbrock1
15th Sep 2011, 14:22
Crap day out? That's an easy one.

Any day spent breathing the air in The Great State of Connect-the-crap, USA. (Aka, The Bend Over State)

tu chan go
15th Sep 2011, 14:25
Prestatyn......Rhyl.....take your pick......both some kind of poor man's Blackpool which is really really sad.

Please note - I also hate Blackpool!

Adam Nams
15th Sep 2011, 14:35

Harwich for the Continent, Clacton for the incontinent :E

Storminnorm
15th Sep 2011, 14:36
I just LOVE Blackpool. Cheap, cheerful and NOISY!!!

But there again, I'm biased. My maternal G'Parents met there.

Recently I feel I should be looking to settle somewhere more
Genteel.

Blacksheep
15th Sep 2011, 14:49
Any theme park.
Getting people enthusiastic about standing in line for three hours waiting for a two minute ride to nowhere could only be the product of a warped mind.

The same warped mind that was responsible for shooting Bambi's mother in fact.

sisemen
15th Sep 2011, 14:51
What about the zoo that only had one dog?

(I'll let somebody else fill it in)

Oh, OK Magnus......It was a shitzu http://www.fruitsaladretro.co.uk/acatalog/BBRM4(15).JPG

goudie
15th Sep 2011, 14:55
Best bit of a day out is getting home for a (decent) cup of tea

TTN Exactly our sentiments whenever we've had a 'day out'!

yellowperil
15th Sep 2011, 16:22
Despite working there for 4 years, I never quite made it to the Slough Town Museum (http://sloughmuseum.org/)

Luckily, the magnificent Musuem of Reading's gallery of biscuit tins (http://www.readingmuseum.org.uk/collections/seeing-our-collections/huntley-palmers-gallery/) makes up for that...

Helol
15th Sep 2011, 18:46
Any place/person/thing that contains the word 'fun'

surely not
15th Sep 2011, 19:14
That great tourist trap in Bahrain............... The Tree of Life

A gnarled and broken, very unspectacular tree, covered in graffiti with no amenities within miles.

Totally underwhelming.

Oh yea.....my mistake.......it says British days out

ok how about The Mary Rose at Portsmouth. Very little ship left and you can't get close to it and you pay a fortune to shuffle past the remains.

WTF
15th Sep 2011, 19:17
The 10 worst days in Britain have not yet come to pass -- the Olympics aren't until next year!

Ohh..wait...I guess I read the thread wrong...:O

ZOOKER
15th Sep 2011, 20:13
Went to Blackpool Illuminations yesterday, for the first time in 2 years.
After a great fish-and-chip supper from the chippy at Starr Gate, we walked from Harrowside Solarium to the Tower, past all the new sea defences. A walk I have done many times since 1966.
No seats.
No shelters. The Victorians built them every 200 yards or so. This is the west coast of Lancashire, - it rains, frequently here, hence the cotton industry, hence Blackpool.
No Loos. So your [email protected] day out might be just that.

Rang the council planning department today and gave them a class alpha b*llocking.

vulcanised
15th Sep 2011, 20:48
The disappearance of amenities could well be down to the cost of repairing or replacing continuously vandalised ones.

Time vandals were made to pay properly.

flying lid
15th Sep 2011, 21:24
Blackpool - dirty, smelly, expensive, everything a rip off. Even my kids don't want to go there.

Try Southport, really nice now the pier and seafront regeneration are complete. Lord Street still has it's Victorian charm. Morecambe not too bad either, though a bit quiet. Don't forget your Zimmer !!!

Had a day out to the Lake District just before kids went back to school. I expected a rip off, but although parking & the lake boat was a bit expensive, we found some good buys in the small shops of Bowness & Ambleside. (Books for the kids, kitchen stuff for the Mrs). Ice cream and snack food reasonably priced too. Both places packed with Japanese & middle east tourists. Lovely scenic trip back over Kirkstone Pass to Ullswater, Penrith & the M6 over Shap home to sunny Wigan. The M6 over Shap must be one of the most scenic fast roads on this planet.

Crap days out ? - Anywhere south of Crewe.

Lid

gingernut
15th Sep 2011, 21:49
Padstow.......

CargoMatatu
16th Sep 2011, 08:35
Clacton.

During Gulf War 1 was flying a clapped-out 707 out of Mildenhall to the Gulf.
Three nights in a row we had a hydraulic failure after take-off and had to dump fuel off Clacton in order to return to MHZ (full load of Class A on board).

I was going to have a tee shirt made up with "I dumped 100 tons on Clacton" on it! :E

G&T ice n slice
16th Sep 2011, 08:38
Flying Lid...

There's another bit of "The Lake District" which I see you managed to avoid. Just as well because over here on the western side it's really c**p and you'd hate it. There's nothing to do, nothing to see, we've even got beaches, but they're all stony and horrid on the feet..

please keep going to the Winderemere area and don;t waste your time with the western side. It's really rubbish around here.

signed
A. Friend

Alloa Akbar
16th Sep 2011, 09:01
Rads - Concur with all.

Crap days out..?? Hmm..

1. Cricket. Need I elaborate?

2. Sealife centres (All of them) I am now sick of otters and will happily barbeque the little beggars.

3. Bus tours - Less socially acceptable than pensioners dogging in B&Q car park.

4. The fair - Fleeced of all cash, crap rides, goldfish that lives for 3 minutes.

5. Milton Keynes. Needs no justification.

Gingernut - That would be "Pad-Stein" :ok:

Cacophonix
16th Sep 2011, 09:14
Clacton.

Was my first thought too. The little airfield there is nice though with very friendly staff.

I guess any motorway services has got to be bad and makes 10 minutes feel like a day. A motorway services near Slough is even worse! :eek:

Caco

Sprogget
16th Sep 2011, 09:31
I've been casting about for a big day out for my daughter to celebrate starting school. I thought let's go to Legoland, she'll like that. 70 quid for a day visit. This is before you park the car - another tenner, buy any food, gifts extra paid for rides, drive there etc.

Are they kidding? What a rip off.

flying lid
16th Sep 2011, 12:26
There's another bit of "The Lake District" which I see you managed to avoid. Just as well because over here on the western side it's really c**p and you'd hate it. There's nothing to do, nothing to see, we've even got beaches, but they're all stony and horrid on the feet..

please keep going to the Winderemere area and don;t waste your time with the western side. It's really rubbish around here.

Didn't avoid the west bit - just a day out & impossible to go everywhere.
Set off a bit late that day & Winderere is quick to get to via the M6.

ALL the lake district is great. Yes it's a bit industrial around Barrow, Workington & Whitehaven, but great coastal scenery nearby. We'll set off early & go to Ravenglass, Wasdale & Buttermere next time !!!

Lid

G-CPTN
16th Sep 2011, 14:14

Maybe this was tongue-in-cheek to dissuade the hordes from besmirching the countryside?

Loose rivets
16th Sep 2011, 15:29
One of my 'new found semi-siblings' is restoring a place near the lakes - a two year project that's half way through after seven years.

It must run in the family:ooh:

Anyway, I spent some time there and it were grand. As one who hasn't been cold for 8 years , I can't say I'd like to be there in the winter.

Anyway again, the OP's point. Clacton for me. The Rivetess and I left there early summer, in the rain, the voices of the terminally discontent echoing in our ears. I said I didn't think I was going to be able to come home, just too depressing. Why anyone would want to holiday there is a total mystery to me.

It's just a ten minute drive from Frinton and Walton, and I always imagine them to be far removed from Claction in the other sense, but when I really look . . . grief! The rows of charity shops, the drunken screaming at night, kids hanging around with nothing to do. Walton is really, really run down, and I use a huge amount of brain-power trying to imagine it how it was.

I just don't know what's going to happen with places like this. 'Save the Mere' is the campaign now. The Mere used to be called the boating lake - 24 and a bit acres of shallow water. Teaching sailing there was my first summer job. Now, they want to fill it with concrete to some two meters before the building of the virtual town even starts. There is poor access, and it will wreck the lives of the folk lining the now tidal lake. (It was a mill pond once, the outflow regulated to turn the wheels.) It's the fact there is an alternative that makes spoiling something like this such a crime. The alternative has rising ground and a gifted site for a new doctor's surgery, so it seem to make a nonsense runining a place of natural beauty. Who does this 'planning.'

One had the best of it, such a shame we didn't know at the time.

This summer has been fine for me - free air-conditioning every day. But for the folk coming to Walton on the Naze for their holidays . . . oh, my. Bad enough without half a dozen bawling nippers to wring out when getting back to damp digs.

Maybe just a state of mind, but it seems like every seaside town is miserable when the weather's bad. What is frightening is the thought that grandchildren of today might look back and think this is good.

Storminnorm
16th Sep 2011, 15:37
Anything that stops people learning to sail in safe conditions
should be BANNED, and those that make the suggestion should
be thrown in the nearest lake.
Preferably a DEEP one.

er340790
16th Sep 2011, 15:47
some kind of poor man's Blackpool

You mean, THERE IS WORSE?????!!!!!

Made my day, that.

:} :} :} :} :} :} :} :} :} :} :} :} :} :} :D

TBirdFrank
16th Sep 2011, 15:59
Blackpool is OK - for the next five weeks until these finish - Set 2 last night :- Then what will we do???

Mind you - the stupid councillors have indeed demolished and blocked off all the shelters including the existing tram stops, but haven't brought the new stations and their shelters into use, so until next April - You get wet!

Intelligent planning at work! Not! - And what they have done to the prom and how much they have spent - and after three years it still isn't finished!

http://i281.photobucket.com/albums/kk231/45596/20110915009Set2ComesondutyatManchesterSquareImg_1487.jpg

Seriously - want a crap day out? - Try anywhere in North Wales - we have even coined a phrase to describe the experience, "Tales of Wales"

The Indian restaurant in Macc, "Isn't it Crap Here?" (the waitress in Barmouth) "What are you doing in here? (the hotel manager in Portmadoc where we had gone for lunch) "Sorry the card machine is downstairs" followed by "Sorry we don't take cards" when we reached the ground floor, and many, many, more!

Now Scotland by contrast - Cullen Skink - The "Grog and Gruel" in Fort Bill and many more - "choost superb" as Dougie would say!

Octopussy2
16th Sep 2011, 16:15
Two exceptions to the "anywhere in North Wales" rule:

Port Meirion (although to be fair, it's better if you're staying in the cottages than if you're on a day trip)

Aberdovey

Want crap? Try Plymouth.

Mike6567
16th Sep 2011, 16:25
Visiting an elderly relative and having to comply with their request to go for lunch at the local garden centre on pensioner's day.

ZOOKER
16th Sep 2011, 19:21
TBird,
Great picture. The 'Progress Twin-Car'. Remember them well. Saw the ABC Train on Wednesday. Hope the Coronation is still roadworthy. :ok:

Garden Centres...................Let's nuke 'em.

hellsbrink
16th Sep 2011, 19:27
Garden Centres...................Let's nuke 'em.

NO!!!

All the people who go to them regularly will then go to somewhere that the rest of us might enjoy!!

ZOOKER
16th Sep 2011, 19:59
Very good point hellsbrink, but hear me out on this one.

Two years ago my electric lawn-mower went phut half-way through the front lawn's first cut of the year.
No problem, jumped in the car, down to the local garden-centre to buy a replacement.
"Sorry, we don't sell lawnmowers" said the smug-looking horticulturally-challenged munta on the reception desk. Suggest you go to the local branch of Block And Quayle.
WTF?
It's called a garden centre.
It sells cuddly-toys, books on aeroplanes, greetings-cards, scented-candles, tacky plastic ornaments, Christmas-tree decorations and hamsters.
All the things that are totally at home in the garden.
To round off the day, as I was leaving, a man tried to sell me double-glazing!

Windy Militant
16th Sep 2011, 20:31
Does this count as a crap day out Swindon Sewage works open days (http://www.thameswater.co.uk/cps/rde/xchg/corp/hs.xsl/14229.htm):}

Krystal n chips
17th Sep 2011, 06:12
Erm, the North Wales coast. Hmmm :hmm: Well Prestatyn isn't Rhyll ( the latter comparable with the Swindon sewage works I would suggest ) but it is boring. Then there's Penmaenmawr / Llanfairfechan....grim, to put it mildly.

Portmadoc....bless the locals....despite this being 2011...they want the tourist trade, but still have that well developed insular detestation of outsiders. On the plus side, I did the circular rail trip in April...Shrews- BF-BF railway- Portmadoc- Shrews and the Cambrian line is well worth the ride, for the views and the civil engineering alone....:ok:

Then there's......Morecambe.....just ignore the directions to the dump and you'll be fine.

Macc....for a night out ??...fine for students of anthropology...same as Skegness / Sarfend and.....Barry....:E

The NT ?...depends entirely on the location ot seems as to how unctious and self important the staff feel....shame really, given the potential for decent days out...

As others have said..."themed / ultimate experience" etc....:yuk:

Blackpool...well lets be honest..it's, erm, an " experience to treasure"....once..and on the subject of "experiences" you can part with...£350 !....and errm, drive a tram.....now that is a rip off !..as you can drive a serious diesel or steam loco for considerably less....

Of course, if you want a totally absorbing day out, Stornoway, on a Sunday in Dec / Jan / Feb has to be high on the list.....:sad:

racedo
17th Sep 2011, 22:33
I've been casting about for a big day out for my daughter to celebrate starting school. I thought let's go to Legoland, she'll like that. 70 quid for a day visit. This is before you park the car - another tenner, buy any food, gifts extra paid for rides, drive there etc.

Are they kidding? What a rip off. Mate went a few weeks ago and commented on why was he paying so much to wait in line for 45 minutes for a 2 minute ride..................

He stopped complaining when someone reminded him that's what he was rumoured to have done in Amsterdam.

Sprogget
17th Sep 2011, 22:58
In the end Racedo, we went to JCB world. Or Dale Farm as it used to be known.

Blues&twos
18th Sep 2011, 09:12
I second some of North Wales, especially in winter, having lived there for a number of years. But the worst day out I've ever had was Legoland. By a country mile. Don't even think about visiting.

Bicester "retail village" comes close.

Vitesse
18th Sep 2011, 09:26
Any justification / reasoning behind the 'Plymouth ' mention?

Curious to know...

B Fraser
18th Sep 2011, 10:42
A rather crap day out is the 700 km round trip from Perth to Wave Rock in Western Australia. It's shaped like a wave and it's made of ... wait for it......rock. They claim 140,000 people a year go to see it.

http://www.waverock.com.au/pix/WaveRock_A4.jpg

Next door is a cave called Hippo's Yawn that looks a bit like a hippo who is bored out of it's skull having seen a piece of rock that is curved like a wave.

http://seniorsmalls.files.wordpress.com/2011/07/hippo-yawn-compressed.jpg

Tankertrashnav
18th Sep 2011, 11:06
Any justification / reasoning behind the 'Plymouth ' mention?

Plymouth - a city centre that's been rebuilt twice since WW2. Both times the planners/developers have failed to improve on the job done by the Luftwaffe in 1941 :}

Barbican's ok though.

Storminnorm
18th Sep 2011, 11:23
I wouldn't fancy a weekend in Dunstable.

Vitesse
18th Sep 2011, 12:45
Plymouth centre does have a certain charm, I will admit.

What the Germans didn't manage to destroy during the war, the city council certainly did after it!

Ancient Observer
18th Sep 2011, 12:58
Crap day out?

Anything that involves shopping.

However, (S)IKEA gets the prize for awfulness

Mimpe
18th Sep 2011, 13:42
Sounds like 1001 reasons to emigrate....

For me - weddings and funerals.
I avoid them if possible, unless ATC requires compliance....

Mr Optimistic
18th Sep 2011, 13:59
Another issue with West Cumbria is the radioactivity. On a a positive note Chester zoo is great. Sadly the London museums have all been wrecked by the skirt-wearing 'accessibility' crowd. The National Maritime Museum is a poorly lit sparsely furnished disgrace compared to what it used to be. The Museum of London has shared a similar fate, except it's well lit. God I hate progress.

Oh and any garden centre which has become a poor excuse for a cheap cafe and gift shop and to hell with teh plants.

vulcanised
18th Sep 2011, 15:36
(S)IKEA gets the prize for awfulness

My mate's little daughter calls them "Ickier". Maybe she's got it right.

Krystal n chips
18th Sep 2011, 16:50
" Sadly the London museums have all been wrecked by the skirt-wearing 'accessibility' crowd."

Any particular form of "wrecking" you have in mind here..just for exemplification you understand....:mad:

I can only imagine how awful it must be for you to have to associate with people who, through no fault of thei own, have some form of impairment or disability that really should keep them locked away indoors and can thus be blissfully ignored by the able bodied.... after all why should they be offered access and the same opportunity to view these locations as those of us, who, fortunately do not have access problems.....:mad:...:rolleyes:

sisemen
18th Sep 2011, 16:56
A rather crap day out is the 700 km round trip from Perth to Wave Rock in Western Australia

Amen! I've studiously avoided making the trip even though it's only 600km from here. That distance just to see a rock has all the markings of doom.

Having said that, I have done the flog up to Lake Ballard, north of Menzies to see this:

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c92/allan907/LakeBallard.jpg

V2-OMG!
18th Sep 2011, 16:57
Anything that promotes itself as "good entertainment value" because I'll probably find it asinine.

For whatever reason, I'm seldom "entertained."