PDA

View Full Version : Some Airline Security (Theater?) Observations / Questions

ross_M
15th Sep 2011, 05:44
1. They frisk us PAX down to nail clippers so what about airside restaurants. Does their food-prep happen totally knife-less? If not, what about food-workers passing PAX a "weapon"?

2. At LHR international terminals I noticed signs admonishing PAX not to destroy passports. Does destroying passports make getting asylum any easier? In which case wouldn't they destroy their passports on the flight already.

3. At BOM security has an extra charade. The guys at the X-Ray machine will rubber stamp the name-tags on carry-on baggage and later at the boarding gate there's another cop that verifies if all your bags have this stamp. If not, you get shuttled back to X-Ray. Why? Couldn't I just have switched bag-tags?

bingofuel
15th Sep 2011, 07:30
Welcome to the ridiculous world of airline security,

Skipness One Echo
15th Sep 2011, 11:03
Does destroying passports make getting asylum any easier?

It means they can't send you back anywhere if they can't prove where you came from, this is why passports used to be flushed at the toilets before the UK Border. Consequently I hear some flights are now being met on the airbridge, you can't effectively flush it on the aircraft as easily.

The SSK
16th Sep 2011, 09:02
Airside at Zagreb last month I went for a pee. At one point I was joined at the next stall by a policeman – we were the only two in the loo. I was mildly surprised when I zipped up and turned around that he had taken off his gunbelt and put it by the washbasins while he was busy staring fixedly at the wall (as you do in gents loos).

Dg800
16th Sep 2011, 12:01
2. At LHR international terminals I noticed signs admonishing PAX not to destroy passports. Does destroying passports make getting asylum any easier? In which case wouldn't they destroy their passports on the flight already.It certailnly makes lying about your situation (i.e. where you actually came from) a lot easier! This will in turn facilitate your obtaining "asylum seeker" status instead of being deported right away, allowing you to remain in the host country sometimes for several years.
As for destroying the passport on the plane, I guess setting fire to it in the lav might set a few alarms off, and flushing it will not actually get it off the plane right away. :E
I have to smile at the idea of signs admonishing not to destroy your passport. What are they going to do if they catch you in the act? Deport you twice?? :confused:

EDITED TO ADD: There's also the issue of said passports almost always being counterfeit and/or stolen and you don't ever want to be caught at customs trying to enter the country (any country) holding a fake/stolen passport. That tends to land you in jail, asylum seeker or not.

Cheers,

DG800

ross_M
16th Sep 2011, 13:56
As for destroying the passport on the plane, I guess setting fire to it in the lav might set a few alarms off, and flushing it will not actually get it off the plane right away.

Not a good day for a Border Control Agent! Having to sift through the lav-cart to find fragments of passports. :yuk:

V800
16th Sep 2011, 16:20
1. They frisk us PAX down to nail clippers so what about airside restaurants. Does their food-prep happen totally knife-less? If not, what about food-workers passing PAX a "weapon"?

Shops and restaurants make money for the airport operator therefore they are exempt from all security rules.

Hotel Tango
16th Sep 2011, 21:49
I suppose this is what makes security at Amsterdam that little bit better. Security there is carried out at the gate for the flight. That ensures that pax haven't acquired any "weapons" (i.e. items which could be used as weapons) in any of the shops airside, well, with the exception of the (glass) litre bottle of booze that is!

16th Sep 2011, 23:36
It used to make me laugh when travelling Virgin upper class (paid for by company not by me).
There was very strict security at the airport where they would take anything from you that could be used as a weapon and then once on the aircraft you were given a "goody bag" that contained one of these:
http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p168/Mr_Greenie/KGrHqFikE3SivZ9EUBOIzJGW0w0_12.jpg

Who needed a stiletto when you had a nicely pointed stainless steel pen.

ross_M
17th Sep 2011, 03:44
A broken duty free glass bottle would indeed make a very good weapon. How long until all the duty free booze comes in plastic bottles?

Ioniser
18th Sep 2011, 12:23
Only after "Broken bottle hijack plot" is carried out or foiled !

Geezers of Nazareth
22nd Sep 2011, 10:11
Dangerous items 'slip through' all the time, and no Security is ever 100%.

Back in the Summer I spent a long weekend in Paris. The plan was that I drove out with my mates via the 'Tunnel', and I flew back after a few days because they were spending extra days in France.
I usually carry a 'Leatherman' multi-tool with me, so it went with me to Paris. Not a problem on the train through the tunnel. After using it a few times to open bottle of beer, my mates reminded me that I should remember to pack it in my suitcase before flying home.

On the last day, bit of a rush in the morning (and a sore head), so quickly unhook multi-tool from my belt and throw it towards suitcase before sh & sh & sh!

Off to CDG, check-in suitcase and head off to security check queue with carry-on bag. Quickly through there - no problems, no dramas.

Back home in UK, unpacking suitcase, but I can't find my multi-tool. Search everywhere in suitcase, all clothing, all shoes, washbag. Nada!
Bugger, must have fallen on the floor in hotel and I failed to pick it up before leaving.

Never mind, I've got a spare one in the car.

I work airside, so every day that I go to work I have to pass through 'staff search'. My 'carry on' bag is now my 'work bag'. No problems taking it to work with me, contains nothing contentious (well, okay, maybe a yoghurt!).

On the sixth day back at work my back is randomly selected for a thorough search. Drag everything out, and there in the bottom of my bag is my multi-tool!

It's been through a security check at CDG, and through a 'staff search' scanner 6 times! :eek: