PDA

View Full Version : Today is Battle of Britain Day

Gweedo
15th Sep 2011, 05:26
Today is Battle of Britain Day. I, for one, shall be having a moment of reflection and raising a glass to those RAF and FAA Pilots and crews from all corners of the world who paid for my current freedoms with their blood.

"Never in the field of human conflict was so much owed, by so many, to so few"

We will remember them.

tilleydog1
15th Sep 2011, 06:30
As will I !

Barksdale Boy
15th Sep 2011, 07:00
And I. God bless'em.

dakkg651
15th Sep 2011, 07:39
Me too.

I shall also reflect that it's a good job they can't see the present state of the country they died for.

John Botwood
15th Sep 2011, 07:42
And I'll drink to that!

GANNET FAN
15th Sep 2011, 08:52
And I for one, will be more than happy to watch that film again.

ormeside
15th Sep 2011, 08:53
To all our Comrades who have gone before - here's to them, thank you!!

orgASMic
15th Sep 2011, 08:54
Good point - that's this evening's entertainment sorted out as I can't get to the dinner tonight.

FODPlod
15th Sep 2011, 09:07
Today is Battle of Britain Day. I, for one, shall be having a moment of reflection and raising a glass to those RAF Pilots and crews from all corners of the world who paid for my current freedoms with their blood...

No disrespect Gweedo (my father served in the RAF during the war) but as a Navy man, I will also be thinking of the two Fleet Air Arm squadrons and 50 or so FAA aviators who served under RAF Fighter Command, many of whom paid the ultimate price:Fleet Air Arm aircrew loaned to RAF Fighter Command 1940-1945 (http://www.fleetairarmarchive.net/squadrons/RAF_FighterCommand_FAA_aircrew.htm)
http://www.fleetairarmarchive.net/squadrons/BattleofBritain_242sqdn.gif (http://www.fleetairarmarchive.net/squadrons/RAF_FighterCommand_FAA_aircrew.htm)
242 (Canadian) Hurricane squadron RAF under the celebrated
command of Sqn Ldr Douglas RS "Tinlegs" Bader which included
three Fleet Air Arm pilots: Sub Lt RJ Cork RN (Bader's wingman),
Sub Lt RE Gardner RNVR and Mid PJ Patterson RN
(Fleet Air Arm Archive)

Rush2112
15th Sep 2011, 09:15
I hadn't realised either - it's also my ex-wedding anniversary...

I'll be raising a glass too!

Tankertrashnav
15th Sep 2011, 09:19
I am ashamed to admit that I hadn't realised it was today until I saw your post, Gweedo. Nothing on the radio/tv about this - nothing that I've heard anyway.

I echo all the previous sentiments and add my own good wishes to our local celebrity Geoffrey Wellum, author of First Light, who was fit and in good form the last time I saw him a few months ago.

Good point FODPlod, and let's not forget the Blenheim navs/observers and air gunners too.

Shack37
15th Sep 2011, 09:28
I also must confess to not realising it was today.
A simple thank you once again gents. Bless you all.
Per Ardua ad Astra

1.3VStall
15th Sep 2011, 10:21
Here's another person who will toast "The Few" this evening. God alone knows what they would think of the state of Britain's air defences these day.

fly_surfbeach
15th Sep 2011, 10:31
God Bless...

Corporal Clott
15th Sep 2011, 11:01
A bottle of this for me tonight then...

http://www.kiwiblog.co.nz/wp-content/uploads/2009/12/Spitfire-10.jpg

:ok:

teeteringhead
15th Sep 2011, 11:03
A glass will be raised ......

But! 15 posts and no mention yet of Section Officer Harvey?

C'mon BEags! :E

Corporal Clott
15th Sep 2011, 11:25
Link here http://www.boultbeeflightacademy.co.uk/courses/introduction-course/files/intro-course.pdf

It will however cost you £4500+VAT to recreate...

[after berating Simon, a young pilot]
Squadron Leader: How many hours in Spits?
Simon: Ten and a half, sir.
Squadron Leader: Let's make it eleven, before Jerry has you for breakfast!
Pilot Officer Archie: Spring chicken to ****ehawk in one easy lesson.
[at low volume, almost whispering, after Simon and Squadron Leader leave the building for their aircraft]
Pilot Officer Archie: daka!-daka!-daka!-daka!-daka!-daka!-daka!-daka!

:ok:

Cornerstone958
15th Sep 2011, 11:27
I like many other volunteers are out there collecting during B of B week. As a RAFA Welfare Officer it is quite surprising the number of those who were involved in the B of B are still out there. Not forgetting all those that have served and continue to serve. If you are about help fill the collector's tin every little helps as they say.
Thanks for your support
CS:ok:

langleybaston
15th Sep 2011, 12:44
Please also remember the ground crew and ground staff on and off the airfields.
My father was proud to serve as an LAC RAFVR i/c one barrage balloon, including defence of Coventry in the Blitz. Then after three years flying it over Suez, he spent 1944 with it on a ship, including D Day shuttles.

"It is ROYAL AIR FORCE, not RAF, and NEVER NEVER raff!"

Yes Dad!

RIP

FODPlod
15th Sep 2011, 12:54
Gweedo - Tried to PM you but without success. VMT for graciously amending your opening post.

Q-RTF-X
15th Sep 2011, 13:41
The unofficial Manila chapter of the ex RAF Boy Entrants Association (two of us, both ex 33rd entry) hope to meet at a local this coming Sunday. We shall raise a glass to all who participated in that magnificent effort.

Spit161
15th Sep 2011, 15:26
We will remember them. RIP.

Jake.

Romeo Oscar Golf
15th Sep 2011, 15:49
Back in the "bad old days" when Officers commanded (with the Warrant Officer's say so and the support of the SNCO's), we used to have eight RAF Stations "At Home" days on the nearest weekend to 15th September to celebrate/remember the Battle of Britain. I know because I organised/coordinated them (and wrote the Op Order) The new guard would be amazed at the uneccesary cost, the waste of valuable training time and the improper use of resources which was expended to achieve this unique weekend. Anyone else remember?

airpolice
15th Sep 2011, 16:09
Back in the "bad old days" when Officers commanded (with the Warrant Officer's say so and the support of the SNCO's), we used to have eight RAF Stations "At Home" days

The way things are going, we'll soon only have eight RAF Stations.

langleybaston
15th Sep 2011, 16:28
at RAF Finningley I ran the Met. participation for BoB Open Day including diabolical unforecast weather at times.

The Station Telephone directory had a permanent number for:

Officer i/c Temporary Erections.

I think the number was permanently engaged, with so many testosterone-fuelled young trainees.

It really did, wish I had stolen a copy!

middleground
15th Sep 2011, 17:10
Spitfire at Waddo today for BoB. Sleep easy fine fellows.

"We will remember them"

bsfish2003
15th Sep 2011, 17:37
Brave young men, many of whom must lived with their hearts in their mouths waiting for the scramble.

Finningley Boy
15th Sep 2011, 18:53
Back in the "bad old days" when Officers commanded (with the Warrant Officer's say so and the support of the SNCO's), we used to have eight RAF Stations "At Home" days on the nearest weekend to 15th September to celebrate/remember the Battle of Britain. I know because I organised/coordinated them (and wrote the Op Order) The new guard would be amazed at the uneccesary cost, the waste of valuable training time and the improper use of resources which was expended to achieve this unique weekend. Anyone else remember?

In actual factthere used to be more held simultaneously. 12 in 1964 and 65 and before that 15. On 19th September 1953, there was 70! including one RCAF station, North Luffenham I think. The date was always the Saturday of the week within which the 15th fell rather than the nearest Saturday to it. By rights, this coming Saturday 17th September is when, for example, the Leuchars show should be held.

That said I think it would be shame if we ever ended up not having at least one R.A.F. Station holding such a display in September.

There can be no better invitation to the general public to join the R.A.F. and other services in marking the Anniversary of what remains the most crucial air battle in history.

FB:)

Warmtoast
15th Sep 2011, 19:02
On 19th September 1953, there was 70!

There were indeed as reported in the press at the time.

With over a million visitors too!

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r231/thawes/BOBFataitiesSept1953.jpg

Dave Barnshaw
15th Sep 2011, 19:35
God bless "The Few" who gave us our freedom,we will remember them.

jindabyne
15th Sep 2011, 19:59
Brave young men, many of whom must lived with their hearts in their mouths waiting for the scramble.

I guess so. Whist the perception of those that were involved is often one of young men that were ---- whatever. They were almost certainly very brave, very scared, very aware of their mortality, hugely inexperienced, and constantly hoping they'd live to enjoy their maturity. Most of those of us that followed became skilled in their art and adopted their creed, but we never had to contemplate death on a daily basis. That is what makes me remember, humbly.

essexlad
15th Sep 2011, 19:59
They shall not grow old as we grow old

BEagle
15th Sep 2011, 20:23
I'm over at a multi-national meeting at the moment in España...

Hopped onto the coach first thing this morning and hailed a Luftwaffe mate:

"Ah, die Deutsche! Happy Battle of Britain Day! Don't forget you buggers lost!"

"OK - next time you can have the Italians!"

"We did the first time - and you also lost then!"

So tonight we've had an excellent run ashore. We must never forget, but equally don't forget the losses amongst 'brother fliers' on all sides. Politicians suck (especially if they have a penchant for silly moustaches), but respect for all those who had to do what they did should reasonably be observed.

PFR
15th Sep 2011, 20:49
Have any of the news channels today made reference to this most significant day?
May be it's not "PC" to make reference to "winning" in regard to a fellow European neighbour..........

Lest we forget the debt we owe...

"I expect that the Battle of Britain is about to begin. Upon this battle depends the survival of Christian civilization. Upon it depends our own British life, and the long continuity of our institutions and our Empire. The whole fury and might of the enemy must very soon be turned on us. Hitler knows that he will have to break us in this island or lose the war. If we can stand up to him, all Europe may be freed and the life of the world may move forward into broad, sunlit uplands.
But if we fail, then the whole world, including the United States, including all that we have known and cared for, will sink into the abyss of a new dark age made more sinister, and perhaps more protracted, by the lights of perverted science. Let us therefore brace ourselves to our duties, and so bear ourselves, that if the British Empire and its Commonwealth last for a thousand years, men will still say, This was their finest hour". (Winston Churchill 18th June 1940).

"Never in the field of human conflict was so much owed by so many to so few". (Winston Churchill 20th August 1940).

Blacksheep
16th Sep 2011, 07:00
Back in the "bad old days" when Officers commanded (with the Warrant Officer's say so and the support of the SNCO's), we used to have eight RAF Stations "At Home" days on the nearest weekend to 15th SeptemberEight? I distinctly remember when just about every RAF and RAuxAF Station held 'Battle of Britain' open days. Even the Bomber Command ones. :hmm:

Our local station was RAF Thornaby, home to RAuxAF 608 Squadron and their DeHavilland Vampires and it was where I got Avtur in my blood at the age of five.

cazatou
16th Sep 2011, 08:49
Blacksheep

Quite correct.

Moreover, the national and local newspapers used to print souvenir special editions covering the airshows; with interviews with those who fought so gallantly.

BEagle
16th Sep 2011, 08:59
After completing my pre-Vulcan Buccaneer lead-in course :\ , I held at RAF Biggin Hill awaiting my fate.

One day we shifted a filing cabinet, from behind which fell a piece of yellowing foolscap dated around 1955. It contained some fascinating gems, in particular that 'Meteor aircraft are not to be flown below 50ft in the designated low flying areas' and 'Airmen are not to hitch rides on the wings of Meteors as a means of crossing the aerodrome' - but the one I liked best was 'Of the 34 RAF stations in Home Command in the south of England holding Battle of Britain days this summer........'

I have a copy of the 1953 RAF Merryfield BoB At Home day programme - something like 20 different types of RAF and RN aircraft in the static display.....

Fox3WheresMyBanana
16th Sep 2011, 10:03
Preparing for 234 Sqn's 70th bash, we found some BoB gun camera film in the loft.

"Opening range: 40 yards
Closing range: indeterminate"

and with overtake :eek:
bits of Messerschmidt bouncing off the windscreen.

Certainly avoids having to remember all that QWI stuff!

Transferred it to video for the visitors. The German Navy starfighter pilots enjoyed it too.

Finningley Boy
16th Sep 2011, 12:39
Quote:
Back in the "bad old days" when Officers commanded (with the Warrant Officer's say so and the support of the SNCO's), we used to have eight RAF Stations "At Home" days on the nearest weekend to 15th September
Eight? I distinctly remember when just about every RAF and RAuxAF Station held 'Battle of Britain' open days. Even the Bomber Command ones. http://1.2.3.11/bmi/images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/yeees.gif

Our local station was RAF Thornaby, home to RAuxAF 608 Squadron and their DeHavilland Vampires and it was where I got Avtur in my blood at the age of five.

From the outset, all commands held "at homes" on B.O.B. Saturday, its just that the numbers increasingly decreased, but the standard of fare at each got better as well. About 1954 or there abouts, there was an argument between the AOCs of Tech Training and Maintenance command (I believe), and VCAS, Sir Thomas Pike at the time. They were unhappy about the heavy number of their stations which they were being asked to make available to be open that forthcoming B.O.B. weekend. The chief complaint was that their stations largely had little of interest to show the public and were always at the back of the queue when flying items were being allocated , supposedly fairly. Their concerns were regarded sympathetically and were assured that things were about to change. I believe this referred to 1957, when a central B.O.B. project team were set up at Fighter Command H.Q. their job was to ration out the bulk of flying and static participants to avoid as much as possible any imbalance.

If you buy my book "The R.A.F. At Home" all this and more is detailed etc etc!:ok:

langleybaston
16th Sep 2011, 15:09
Finningley Boy can you confirm my reflections on erections please?

Wander00
16th Sep 2011, 15:36
I recall a story, believed to be true, about a senior WRAF officer in a conference at Cranwell in the 60s about introducing WRAF there in ATC, when offered tented toilet accommodation for WRAF , retorted "But Squadron Leader, my girls like permanent erections".

E-Spy
16th Sep 2011, 15:56
@PFR thanks for that. Am I the only one who gets goosebumps reading it?

I work over here with the European Neighbours you speak of, and can confirm stories similar to BEagle's. If you know your audience, you can speak very candidly and draw some very sharp, black humour out of them wrt their darker days.

Old Warbirds day: 'Is that a Me109 coming in?'
'Can't be, hasn't got a Mustang in front of it....'

Health warning: Don't try it with every one you meet though....

ancientaviator62
16th Sep 2011, 16:07
The quote from our German exchange officer when I was in was 'We only just lost the Battle of Britian but got the silver medal !' Who says they do not have a sense of humour.

Finningley Boy
16th Sep 2011, 19:30
Finningley Boy can you confirm my reflections on erections please?

Sir,

while I can't confirm the actual post title Officer i/c Temporary Erections, I'm sure every Station Battle of Britain Office appointed an officer i/c Tentpegs, pole erections and other such like requirements for the big day!All to help entertain the punters!!:ok:

There were always so many different things for some officer somewhere to be in charge of, from Yogi Bear train rides to conservation of the environment and litter bin provision.:}

Tabby Badger
16th Sep 2011, 21:40
Oh dear, how very embarrassing. I'm late for the battle.
I didn't realize that becoming naturalized would make me such a REAL American.

:ooh::O

TB

17th Sep 2011, 04:55
In the 1980s the German exchange pilot at Coltishall was programmed to lead the BoB flypasts.

PFR
17th Sep 2011, 08:10
:}60024....that made me smile:E

BEagle
17th Sep 2011, 12:07
Back in the days before the pongos took over Wattisham when it was a proper RAF fighter station, our 2 Luftwaffe exchange officers used to hold a 'Losers' Party' at one of their OMQs. A much more agreeable aircrew party than the BoBbers CockersP in the OM!

brokenlink
17th Sep 2011, 15:19
Over the last few years it is noticeable how people are becoming more aware of the sacrifices that have been made and continue to be made in their name and have donated accordingly for both Wings Appeal and Remembrance street collections. I only have the job of organising my ATC cadets collecting activities locally but I would like to say thank you to all who demonstrate their gratitude despite the current economic situation by making donations into the tins.

BL