PDA

View Full Version : Twin Rating Question and Advice Sought!

leyahl
14th Sep 2011, 21:06
Evening all!

Quick background: I have an SEP PPL with ~100hrs and done half of my ATPL exams. Given demand for brush up courses over the coming months at my ground school, the earliest I will be able to have completed my exams and have the results is the end of January. Because of this limitation, I won't be able to start my CPL or MEIR until that point- ages away!

Here is my question: is there any point doing a twin rating now (as well as my regular hours building) or do it just before my IR- am I likely to forget it all by February? I would also be interested to know if anyone knows of any work arounds for starting CPL/MEIR training so that these ATPLs don't hold me up. I have trawled through the LASORs but it's not exactly the most definitive tome!

I don't want to be twiddling my thumbs so if anyone can help, that would be FANTASTIC! :ok:

CAT3C AUTOLAND
15th Sep 2011, 08:47
I wouldn't be in any rush to get your MEP, unless you intend to utilise it.

Doing your CPL, Multi then IR, or another combination will keep your training fluid, with a degree of continuity. Also, flying a Multi Engine Piston is a step up from what you are used to flying singles. So with that in mind, there may be possibility of you going over hours if you do it now and it could cost you more money.

Just a few things to consider. All the best with it.

leyahl
15th Sep 2011, 12:08
Thanks for that CAT3C. I'm itching to keep things going now that I've had this slow me down. I guess being patient and saving money is a good idea. It's not as if there's an amazing market at the moment for me to hurry for!

Genghis the Engineer
15th Sep 2011, 13:33
There should be nothing to stop you doing your SE/IR now? You'll want it eventually, and it'll improve your flying knowledge and quality so help achieve CPL in minimum time. With care, you can also do the IMCR skill test part way to give you something useable now.

You could also do SE/complex now, which will be fun, useful hours, and allow you to keep to the minimum complex single hours during your CPL - and doing complex as PPL differences training will probably be cheaper than doing those hours within your CPL training where there's usually another £40/hr or so premium.

Also make sure that you have done the CPL qualifying cross country.

G

leyahl
16th Sep 2011, 09:10
Some solid options there Genghis. Doing the complex conversion would be fun in the meantime. Is there any credit given for having SE/IR though when commencing ME/IR training? If not, I wouldn't want to double costs for the sake of having something to do now. Anyway, thanks for shedding light on some options- greatly appreciated.