PDA

View Full Version : UAL 767 smoke, evac @ IAD

barit1
14th Sep 2011, 20:54
Justice Ginsburg slides to safety off airplane - FOX19 News and Weather - Greater Cincinnati Area (http://www.fox19.com/story/15462397/plane-carrying-justice-bader-ginsburg-evacuated)

Sounds like a tailpipe fire on startup / fuel "loose" in the LPT. CC aren't supposed to initiate evac for this, are they? :yuk:

StoneyBridge Radar
14th Sep 2011, 21:13
It was a 757.

Plane evacuated after engine trouble at Dulles - WTOP.com (http://wtop.com/?nid=41&sid=2544711)

barit1
14th Sep 2011, 22:31
I stand corrected - 757-222 (PW2040 engines?)

Mr @ Spotty M
15th Sep 2011, 04:27
It looks like an overreaction by the crew in my opinion.
However one thing that should be looked at if it was an engine, why was the aircraft evacuated on both sides. :(

bubbers44
15th Sep 2011, 04:58
That was my first thought. Why did they evacuate out of the rear right slides? They must have had a reason. I used all 4 slides one day with a bomb threat and our Chief Pilot questioned why me, a new captain, elected to use all 4 slides when the bomb was set for 2500 ft. I said because they are not FAA approved bombs and the altimiters are old and could stick unless you wait for them to go off. Besides, I asked for push up stairs so we didn't have to use the slides but with 10 minutes advance notice on downwind at LAX nobody got us any. Never heard another word.

ironbutt57
15th Sep 2011, 05:46
Thats right Mr Spotty, read the "highly accurate and technically correct" information provided by the news media, then second guess the flight crew who were actually there...nice one:ugh:

barit1
15th Sep 2011, 13:07
Hey, ironbutt57, there's something to be learned by all from this evac, and while the known facts are limited, Spotty has put forth what many of us are thinking. This being R&N, his comment is not out of place.

Whiskey Zulu
16th Sep 2011, 13:08
In THEORY it is considered unwise to evacuate on the same side as a fire. In practice, there are other variables to consider. Basically, if an exit is usable and not affected by fire then it should be used to evacuate. Airtours B737 disaster at Manchester changed the thinking on this a LONG time ago!!

jackieofalltrades
16th Sep 2011, 13:41
It looks like an overreaction by the crew in my opinion.

I appreciate this is your opinion, but on what are you basing it?
The pilot took the decision to evacuate, and would have had good reason to do so. It's been discussed many times before on here the pros/cons to evacuating vs waiting for stairs to disembark passengers.

grimmrad
16th Sep 2011, 21:53
Nice - they evacuate the passengers and then drive (with the slides?) to the terminal / airbridge...?
But better safe then sorry, assuming that a fire will kill more then an evacuation.

lomapaseo
16th Sep 2011, 23:33
I appreciate this is your opinion, but on what are you basing it?
The pilot took the decision to evacuate, and would have had good reason to do so. It's been discussed many times before on here the pros/cons to evacuating vs waiting for stairs to disembark passengers.

are we sure that it was a pilot decision and not initiated by the cabin?

jackieofalltrades
17th Sep 2011, 12:22
are we sure that it was a pilot decision and not initiated by the cabin?

The report from the second link on this thread says the pilot decided to evacuate. Admittedly this is just from one news source, but they are quoting the Airport Authority.

bfisk
17th Sep 2011, 12:56
Another passenger, Susannah Fox, said in an email to The Associated Press that the evacuation itself was "calm and orderly" and that passengers retrieved carry-on belongings row-by-row.

This is a message that seems hard to get across to people. :ouch:

golfyankeesierra
18th Sep 2011, 11:42
Pilots decide when to evacuate; individual CC decide which doors to use (in my company). CC base that decision on their observation through their tiny little window, not easy!

lomapaseo
18th Sep 2011, 13:42
golfyankeesierra

Pilots decide when to evacuate; individual CC decide which doors to use (in my company). CC base that decision on their observation through their tiny little window, not easy

Agree, the typical way that it's handled. However I was struck by the quote below in the first news article

Later, she posted, "Attendants opened rear door to see where smoke was coming from. They then very loudly started yelling 'everyone get out.' Very scary."

course it doesn't confirm when this was done.

Whiskey Zulu
19th Sep 2011, 20:27
Adjacent passenger cabin windows should also be used to assess the extent of any external fire before deciding whether an exit is safe to use to evacuate. The 'wide angle' window on most a/c doors are not really fit for purpose.

Escape Path
20th Sep 2011, 03:16
Another passenger, Susannah Fox, said in an email to The Associated Press that the evacuation itself was "calm and orderly" and that passengers retrieved carry-on belongings row-by-row.

Might as well waited for the airstairs... :rolleyes: