PDA

View Full Version : Snap-on or Armstrong, which are the best ?

jaja
14th Sep 2011, 18:08
Fellow technicians

We are going to replace our toolsets at our airline, and the the two competitors are Snap-on and Armstrong.

The technicians wants Snap-on, and the accountants wants Armstrong.

Please share your experience with these two brands, so we have more qualified inputs before making the descision.

piggybank
14th Sep 2011, 20:00
Accountants know jacksh@t about maintenance. Buy Snapon. Do remember the lifetime guarantee only applies to reasonable wear and tear and may not apply in your case.

Practice Auto 3,2,1
14th Sep 2011, 20:39
Never seen or heard of Armstrong. Have some Snap On in my box, but prefer Stahlwille. Better quality and feel imo

hi-speed tape
14th Sep 2011, 21:33
Listen to the people that use the tools, not the Tools that buy them & that should keep you right !
SNAP ON.

Liney111
14th Sep 2011, 22:34
Snap-on is the dogs proverbials.

You buy cheap, you buy twice. :E

A compromise may be Craftsman.......

Golden Rivit
15th Sep 2011, 07:01
I found the Matco angle wrenches better than Snap on.
Hand Tools, Tool Storage, Automotive Service Equipment, Business Franchise Options - Matco Tools (http://matcotools.com/catalog/product/SROEA7T/7-PC-OPEN-END-ANGLE-WRENCH-SE/)

Snapon makes the best sockets,esp the 1/4 inch universals.

A and C
15th Sep 2011, 09:07
In two years time the accountants will be wishing you had gone for the Snap-On when they have to find the money to replace worn & broken tooling.

As has been said above Buy cheap-Buy twice.

onetrack
15th Sep 2011, 11:30
The price is forgotten long after the quality is remembered. In most situations, Snap-On is the only choice. However......... and this a particularly important factor... the country of origin of manufacture of the tools is critical when it comes to important tools, where quality is a necessary feature.

Snap-On is no different to any other American corporation, and will often get their product manufactured in another country, besides the U.S., and present those tools as "genuine".
There's nothing genuine about them at all, they are made under contract to the likes of Snap-On, and may or may not meet the specifications set out by Snap-On.
Unless Snap-On are actually in charge of the QC in the suppliers factory, the tools may have substantial variability in their quality.

I well recall visiting a hydraulic jack repair shop some years ago. The wall was lined with near-new Snap-On hydraulic floor jacks... all awaiting repair under warranty.
The problem stemmed from Snap-On getting these jacks made in China, to their specifications. The Chinese substituted cheap plastic seals for the hydraulic seals, instead of the nylon or teflon as required.
The exercise cost Snap-On a lot of money, and a downgrade of their reputation.

I would be carefully questioning the Snap-On people as to the precise country of origin (manufacture) of the tools being supplied.
Too often, in recent times, I have bought American "Brand Name" tools, with a prominent Stars & Stripes on the packet... only to find in exceptionally fine print, "Product Made in PRC" on the back of the packaging. :suspect:

grounded27
15th Sep 2011, 17:41
The answer to this question is actually complicated, it depends on the tool. The snapon ratcheting screwdriver and 1/4 ratchet are a staple, there are few other tools I like that they produce but are just not worth the money especially taking into account how rarely I pull them out of my box/bag. Craftsman makes up the majority of my tools, reasonable price, good quality and lifetime guarentee just like snapon.

It is pityfull to see someone make up for a lack of skill/experience with a monster snapon toolbox.

gonzobluefuzz
15th Sep 2011, 22:13
My box has alot of snap-on in it, Primarily due to the fact that when I started out it was the path of least resistance. They had or could get what I needed and they showed up at the hangar bi-weekly . For the most part I stopped buying tools years ago. I have however noticed that their quality has been diminishing over the last few years when getting items replaced. While I swear by their wrenches (spanners if your on the other side of the pond), screwdrivers, ratchets and 1/4" drive 12 pt sockets. My experience with their pneumatic tooling has been less than joyous. I find myself replacing these items via brown tool or the yard store. Pricier but less hassle. Matco and MAC are also options to consider

no-hoper
15th Sep 2011, 22:15
SnapOn first choice-except BluePoint.
Stahlwille,Facom and Belzer same level of quality but less nice...

TZ350
17th Sep 2011, 20:54
Where Snap-on do have a distinct advantage is with their 1/4 drive sockets, especially the universals, both with the size/type selection and smaller dimensions, than other brands. Also good are their1/4 extensions and accessories. I'll pass on their ratchets and the rest. Armstrong are excellent quality, good finish and dimensional accuracy.

The points made by one track ( post 8) are 100% on the money, especially relating to the outsourcing of manufacture these days. It was rumored that Armstrong did all the raw forgings for Snap-on, Martin, Bonney, SK Wayne, Proto et al in the days when all US brand tools were actually made in the US. Nowadays, nothing is guaranteed................

NutLoose
19th Sep 2011, 11:17
If you are buying the 1/4 sockets get the twelve point ones..... I have bought my own tools and most are indeed Snap On, in the 20 plus years since coming out the RAF all of my tools have been in daily use and bar the odd service kit to Screwdrivers or ratchet handles I have not had to replace any of them, also the service kits were free even though I do not buy much these days bar the odd pin punch, as have what I need...

My windy drill was a Bluepoint which was a rebadged Desoutter, and that ran for 15 years before stupidly I managed to seize it up by lack of lube and a compressor full of water, I liked it so much I managed to get a nearly new example off ebay to replace it.

Speak for themselves really, you get what you buy...

I think I have an Armstong torque wrench that came in a Snap On box and is identical to the Snap On item BTW

Beeline
20th Sep 2011, 13:17
Sheaffer or Parker are my preferred options!! lol :ok: