PDA

View Full Version : How do you shave your face ?

OFSO
13th Sep 2011, 16:16
As one fairly new to shaving (after 40 years of beards) I wonder what routines other male* JB'ers have developed for this arduous daily routine.

For example:

Side to side under the neckline, then straight up the face left and right, then across under the nose, and the bit under the lip.

Or the right side complete then the left. Or the top half then the lower half.

Details please with the handle so one can refer to the "Capetonian Method" (as an example).

* or possibly not

1DC
13th Sep 2011, 16:21
Left side ,right side,neck, chin, and then under the nose...
My Barber says that a blokes sideburns will almost always be a little bit longer on the side of his face that is away from the light when he shaves...Not many people know that....

Shack37
13th Sep 2011, 16:24
Neck up to chin
Chin down to neck
Neck right to left
Neck left to right
Down from sideboards
Up to sideboards
Back towards ears (both sides)
Left to right under lower lip then back t'other way
Left to right, right to left under the nose
Nose to upper lip.

Now you know why I get up at 5 AM even though I'm retired.
But I'm ever so smooth:cool:

goudie
13th Sep 2011, 16:41
After many years of dry shaving I reverted back to wet a few months ago. The blades these days are fantastic and seem to last forever.
Anyway, first wash face then apply gel. Starting at rt. sideburn downward stroke to chin. Same for the left side. Sideways stoke across upper lip then
nibble away round nose and mouth, moving lips as required (women find this bit a tad difficult!!). Upward strokes from neck to chin. Wet face and then a few more strokes to finish off.
Wash face in hot water then a splash of Old Spice followed by an after shave balm. Feels great!

PS This is the most boring thing I've ever written

Storminnorm
13th Sep 2011, 16:43
I have a beard. Just shave the little bits around the edges.
Just to keep things looking reasonably tidy.
Generally trim the beard every 4 to 6 weeks with some old
hairdressers scissors I bought in Luton many decades ago.

Slasher
13th Sep 2011, 17:03
Enter the shower. Pee if necessary.

Wash.

Rub soap on face.

Clean teeth, then wash socks and undies etc

Wash plates and cutlery if any.

Wash off soapy face.

Grab razor starting under the nose - sides of mouth - chin.

Shave sides one at a time. Finish by the shaving upper neck
and under chin.

Shave genitals to missus's rigorous requirements.

Turn off shower water - step out - grab towel - exit bathroom.

Airborne Aircrew
13th Sep 2011, 17:28
Funny... I shave with soap in the shower too... :ok:

Just my face for those in the cheap seats... :}

pulse1
13th Sep 2011, 17:31
Who was the Russian character who said that having to shave every day was worse than having a baby once a year?:eek:

Carry0nLuggage
13th Sep 2011, 17:34
I'm glad to see you pee before washing undies, socks, crockery or cutlery Slasher. :ok: To think I had you down as a little uncouth at times.

Tankertrashnav
13th Sep 2011, 17:55
Shave genitals to missus's rigorous requirements.

Jeez, you never give us a break, do you? :eek:

(I assume you mean yours, btw ;))

Um... lifting...
13th Sep 2011, 18:14
Who was the Russian character who said that having to shave every day was worse than having a baby once a year?http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/eek.gif

Thought it was Fidel... anyway, he said something about it.

Shack, I think you may be a bit OCD about it. You do it right, you never have to go against the grain. A single tub of sandalwood shave cream from Taylor of Old Bond lasts me a year. Badger brush, warm water, sharp cartridge blade. Once with the grain, once cross-grain (master barbering trick, all going the opposite direction does is cause ingrown hairs).
I've had it done with a cutthroat razor by an excellent barber on a few occasions, but it's rare that someone can shave a face better than the owner of that face.
On the other hand, a fine lady barber gives you something to look at during the process.:ok:

Slasher
13th Sep 2011, 18:18
Now CarryOn of course I ensure all the pee has gone down the
shower drain before the general cleaning chores begin. You
think I'm some sort of a filthy uncouth grub or something? :bored:

Yes Tankertrash its my own pubes I shave. I've NEVER let any
woman ANYWHERE near my conjugals who is carrying ANYTHING
even remotely sharp! :uhoh:

Parapunter
13th Sep 2011, 18:35
What, like an intellect?

ross_M
13th Sep 2011, 18:38
I've NEVER let any
even remotely sharp!

How about any men?

On the other hand, a fine lady barber gives you something to look at during the process.

Blood?

Carry0nLuggage
13th Sep 2011, 18:52
I've NEVER let any
even remotely sharp!

Teeth?

(Somebody was going to say it :E)

goudie
13th Sep 2011, 18:56
I've had it done with a cutthroat razor by an excellent barber

The best wet shaves I've ever had were by the Cypriot barbers in Limassol.
Would last for two days.

Going against the grain can cause barber's rash, in my experience.

Apart from the odd moustache growing competition I've always been clean shaven. Cannot comprehend the attraction of a beard.

Maxbert
13th Sep 2011, 19:10
Wusses :rolleyes:

You hammers the bristles back in, then bite them off from the inside :ok:

Maxbert

Fareastdriver
13th Sep 2011, 20:00
I shave predominately by going round and round in circles with the odd straight run by the sideburns. It takes about a minute and it needs recharging twice a month.

gingernut
13th Sep 2011, 20:06
Had a beard following latest surfing trip. All very well, looked cool on Fistral, looked scruffy when back in the office.

Always dread shaving off 3 weeks growth, but discovered that Mrs G's mXginge scraper, (they look simillar to mens razors but are pink) worked perfectly.

Are they onto a trick here?

Takan Inchovit
13th Sep 2011, 21:03
My wife LykesAnne licks my whiskers off for me every morning in bed. Always in the downward direction. I just give her some furball paste after breakfast.

Tankertrashnav
13th Sep 2011, 21:11
Been a beardy for well over 20 years now. Funny how the connotations of wearing a beard change with the times. Back in the 19th/early 20th centuries a well-trimmed beard was de rigeur, virtually all royalty and top politicians wore them (Queen Victoria excepted!). Then they virtually disappeared, only to return in the 1960s associated with hippies, beatniks, and sundry weirdos. Personally, as someone who is 100% uninterested in fashions I just have one because I quite like it, and dont care what others think it signifies. One thing, assuming it takes 3 minutes to shave, so far I reckon I've saved well over two weeks by not shaving :)

Mind you, wasted a damn sight more than that on PPruNe :(

henry crun
13th Sep 2011, 23:08
Beards are fine, particularly if nicely trimmed, but I detest the current dirty looking scruffy appearance with 2 or 3 days growth.

Slasher
14th Sep 2011, 03:02
Don't sport a beard myself, but I reckon beards are just an affectation too.

WRWxFEnJgco

My missus detests me wearing even a 5 o clock shadow, as she complains
bitterly that it scratches her face and boobs and nether regions.

Is she in the minority? :confused:

sisemen
14th Sep 2011, 03:11
Given Slasher's, ahem, confession how many others have gone in for the brazilian (manzilian???) look?

Ladies, feel free to contribute to this - photos always appreciated :E

birrddog
14th Sep 2011, 03:11
Funny Slasher, I always pictured you with a flavour saver.

Slasher
14th Sep 2011, 03:13
You mean shaved pudendas? Hate 'em! They look like size 13
frozen chook bums!

Um... lifting...
14th Sep 2011, 03:18

I've made it a point not to picture Slasher in any way at all.

Slasher
14th Sep 2011, 03:20
Believe me Um you wouldn't want to! :E

Rush2112
14th Sep 2011, 03:45
I recently went back to wet shaving after probably close to 25 years with a leccy shaver - I found no matter which shaver I had, it never got really close enough. The last one I bought, a Phillips "Arcitec", claimed it would be really close on the neck and despite the SGD400 it cost, it didn't.

I did some research on things like brushes (there is a forum called "Badger and Blade" which is amazing!) and when I was back in UK in May I ventured off to Geo. F. Trumper's and kitted myself out, with a Super Badger brush, shaving soaps, a tube of cream for travelling and a Gillette Mach 3 Turbo from Boots. I am surprised by how long each cartridge lasts as I seem to remember having to use a new one at least every other day - I get a full week at least from each one so far.

It's quite soothing, lathering away and at the end coming up with a "BBS", or at least a "Dayum Fine Shave" as the chaps at B&B would say.

I go with the grain, re-lathering, then across the grain, but do whatever works for you.

I've also found it doesn't actually take that much longer than the dry shaving and my face is less irritated than before.

Howard Hughes
14th Sep 2011, 04:21
That's funny, I have always pictured him like this...:}

http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTIoxoS58RYr4sCwD7LvA66at74MlZo6Btsbf3smEB z8ynE5cPoVw

Slasher
14th Sep 2011, 04:34
You are COMPLETELY WRONG Mr Hughes!

I don't wear a hat.

onetrack
14th Sep 2011, 04:39
A word of warning, OFSO. Visit a Sydney barbershop at your extreme personal risk... :suspect:

THE MAN FROM IRONBARK by Banjo Paterson (1864 - 1941) (http://www.middlemiss.org/lit/authors/patersonab/poetry/ironbark.html)

Firestorm
14th Sep 2011, 06:42
I use a single bladed safety razor (a Merkur Futur for those who are interested), and a silver tip badger brush, and Trufitt's shaving soap. I've never had a better set of shaving tackle. It all cost a bit, but works out at about 2p per day which I don't think is unreasonable.

This is a pretty good guide on how to... from The Gentleman's Shop

The Perfect Shave (http://www.gentlemans-shop.com/acatalog/perfect_shave.html)

and here:

Rooney shaving brushes, Taylor shaving brush, Cyril Salter brushes UK (http://www.executive-shaving.co.uk/shaving-information.php)

I finish off with a good splash of Trufitt's aftershave.

sisemen
14th Sep 2011, 07:53
I've been using electric ever since my last outing with wet shaving.

http://www.mishmashmakeup.com.au/gallery/effect/Cut-Throat-Close-up-2.jpg

dead_pan
14th Sep 2011, 08:47
What, no female contributors to this thread?

OFSO
14th Sep 2011, 10:26
One has heard tales of the Indian barber shaving customers with a cut-throat razor, a large white cloth draped over the customer's lap, and the little boy in the cupboard under the sink...never knew if they were true !

Thai Pom
14th Sep 2011, 10:36
www.headblade.com (http://www.headblade.com)

Storminnorm
14th Sep 2011, 11:17
I've had a beard for the last 42 years.
I had one before that, and shaved it off.
Shaving it off caused the boy, who was about
13 months old at the time, to cry. I was ordered
to grow it again, and have been worried about
upsetting him again by shaving it off again, even
though he's now 43 and a Captain with BA.

What should I do for the best?
I've already thought of leaving home, or at least
NOT visiting the Son.

Solid Rust Twotter
14th Sep 2011, 11:57
Going to make you squint a bit splashing after shave on that, Mr Sisemen....:ooh:

matkat
14th Sep 2011, 13:29
Only shave once a week (Saturday) it's not like I am 'hairless' just that I can't be bothered, Going out with a new woman but as only see her at weekends then this has not altered my routine however, we recently spent a lovely week in Madrid the only downturn being that She wants me clean shaven (Face only BTW:=) so had to scrape my face every day now back to reality and routine:ok:

vulcanised
14th Sep 2011, 18:00
I have to shave my face several times a day when the Moon is full.

OFSO
14th Sep 2011, 19:41
I used to have a beard but it wasn't much of a time-saver over being clean-shaven. The facial hair grows right up to the underside of my eyes, also each side of the eyes, even a few hairs on my nose*, so I had to shave there every day.

*Which is, you will be glad to hear, cold and damp. Woof woof !

racedo
14th Sep 2011, 21:31
With eyes open and awake is best idea as found anything other than that gets red and painful very quickly.

Shack37
14th Sep 2011, 23:35
This thread got me thinking about a "elf n safety" course I did yonks ago. One of the lecturers used shaving as an example of the difficulty of getting people to change old habits/customs. He challenged the class to try shaving using a different routine. A great variety of techniques have been posted here, why not choose one unlike your own and try it.

G-CPTN
14th Sep 2011, 23:54
Try shaving (or any similar activity) whilst observing yourself using a reflection of a reflection (some bathroom cabinet mirrors can achieve this - those with two or three doors) or using an image from a TV camera.

(I sometimes attempt this trying to trim the back of my head - but the hand holding the scissors just won't move in the right direction!)

osmosis
15th Sep 2011, 02:53
...or hold razor in opposite hand; good for the right-brain/left-brain theorists.

bulolobob
15th Sep 2011, 12:11
Been shaving for 44 years now. Cut myself both times!

Bushfiva
15th Sep 2011, 13:47
Gradually went over the years from a one-blade disposable to a bazillion-blade disposable. Then had an op where the nethers were shaved by a delightful wench with a half-single blade safety. Hmm, I thought if it's good enough for the hospital...

So I went back to a Merkur handle with Merkur blades, and I get great shaves. Changed to Feather blades and bled a lot, so will go back to Merkurs. I was told how you foam the soap is important: in the cup, in the hand or on the face. But, for me, on the face has worked best.

So, shaving has gone from a major expense to costing bugger all, and being more fun. It's a bit slower, but random people have noticed. I think that's more to do with the fact that I take more time over the shave, so I take more time over everything else, too. Lady in the office commented "it looks like you take a few minutes of a morning", which is good enough for me.

But I confess, if I had to pick just one item, it would be a Gillette twin-blade. Cheap as chips, and good. Don't trust the Merkur handle + Feather around the meat & 2 veg.

I suspect that's a sentence too far.

Um... lifting...
15th Sep 2011, 15:30
While wearing a waistcoat and watch chain, it goes without saying.
Straight Razor Shaving For Beginners | The Art of Manliness (http://artofmanliness.com/2009/10/06/how-to-straight-razor-shave/)

Slasher
15th Sep 2011, 15:45
You have to remember that shaving (strictly speaking) is a
physical assault to the body, just like laser eye surgery and
crucifixion. One has to expect a little pain sometimes.

Um... lifting...
15th Sep 2011, 16:53
Slasher-

It really comes down to finding the proper shaving appurtenances.

http://customstraightrazors.com/coppermine/albums/razors/lynn_abrams_scrimshaw3_brn.jpg

G-CPTN
15th Sep 2011, 17:24
Father-in-Law was a cut-throat razor man, whilst my Father used a Rolls Razor (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rolls_Razor) until he retired from work and adopted an electric razor (for use when away in his caravan - no need for hot water!).

vulcanised
15th Sep 2011, 17:52
The contents of your electric razor can be saved and used as very effective itching powder on those who upset you.

modtinbasher
18th Sep 2011, 18:16
Yonks ago, Draycott, Derbyshire, I had a mate, Ben. Ben lived in his car in the firm's car park. He'd get up early in the morning and come in the factory to do his ablutions.

Ben was very clean! Yes he was, seriously! He was really good looking and could pull the girls, just like that with a click of his fingers! He smelled nice as well.

We'd been out one night, drinking, I was driving (way before the breathaliser) and the bars were closed (2300 Mr Shepherd for your info) and I'd collected the car and was picking up Ben from the front of the pub. Just opposite was the bus station, and it was deserted apart from a couple of girls waiting for a bus.

Ben just asked me to drive up to the bus platform and wait, he was gone about 45 seconds and came back with both girls, just one each! Anyway we just drove a bit and then Ben said to find a farm entrance and pull over. So I did.

So, I put on some music and snogged a bit with my one, then a sharp voice from the rear said " TAKE IT OUT!"

Clearly Ben took out what was not wanted and just asked me to drive back to the bus station. He was a smooth mover that Ben!

Anyway, shaving, or hair removal.

Ben used to cut his hair (shoulder length, wavey, lustrous brown, any girl would have died for it) by (his description) "controlled burning"!

Basically, he just set fire to his hair, with a low accellerant) stinks a bit (a lot) but you get used to it and as it burns to the required length you just smack your head in the right place and put it out. Ben was an expert! Trim over the ears, long and wavey on top and down the neck, saved him, maybe 2 shillings and sixpence, but the "something for the weekend sir" was only 3 shillings for three...but then I forget, and if anything happened after the C**k Inn Pub, I've forgotten anyway.

Memories? They're the best....

MTB

Um... lifting...
18th Sep 2011, 22:43
Like this fellow?
KnsQNNV9e7I&feature=related

Um... lifting...
18th Sep 2011, 22:45
Not sure how close a shave one might get from this fellow... in any case... you go first. Brief aviation content in video.

qYLVVZxYS8Q&NR=1&feature=fvwp

Ogre
19th Sep 2011, 04:21
I have had the top lip unshaven since 1984, with the exception of two short intervals. The first was to see what it looked like and the second was for charity. On both occasions the memsahib took one look and said "your top lip is undernourished, grow the hair back again". Christmas last year I grew a full beard which gradually got cut back to just the chin, which is supposed to get me some respect amongst my grey-beard colleagues (but doesn't).

Saying that I've wet shaved since the early 80's, and I wouldn't go to work without shaving. I've tried shaving cream but I much prefer the soap and a good badger bristle brush. Single blades cut me to shreds and anything more than two blades is an expensive luxury, so twin blade Bic sensitive are the preferred option.

I've read the previous posts and must admit I've really only gone down my face, up my neck and across the jawline, but if I want it really close I go back the other way (up the face, down the neck) to catch the stragglers.

One thing I will say though is I find myself extolling the virtues of facial products after shaving. I used to just splash on a bit of old spice (followed by the sucking of breath through the teeth as it stung) but now I find myself gently massaging moisturiser into my now hairless cheeks.