PDA

View Full Version : MD 80 Headset

Capt. Greaseon
12th Sep 2011, 16:25
Any recommendations on a headset to use in the Maddog. I was looking at either the Telex 850 or Telex 500 to purchase.

Just wondering which headsets maddog drivers use or would recommend?

dhardesthard
13th Sep 2011, 01:36
I used the Plantronics headset with the acoustic tube microphone and the moulded earpiece.
Pros: With the moulded earpiece you could discard the bulky head strap and you could comb your hair using the standby compass mirror without the head strap getting in the way..!!
There were no wires (nothing to go wrong) in the earpiece.
The acoustic tube also had no wires to give trouble.
It was easier to eat and drink as the end of the tube only reached to the side of your mouth rather to in front of your mouth like the telex does.
The whole headset could be carried in a much smaller box than if you used the headband.

Cons:The Plantronics in those times (1987)was more expensive than the Telex plus you had to pay extra for the moulded earpiece.
If you changed seats you would have to wear the earpiece in the "wrong" ear. The earpiece would fit either your left OR right ear, not both.

When I moved on to the A320 series I also used the Plantronics brand that was suited for Airbus again with the moulded earpiece.