PDA

View Full Version : A320 and TAT probes

IFLY_INDIGO
12th Sep 2011, 04:02
During an external inspection, I noticed a very strong airflow from the rear part of the A320 TAT probes, both capt and F/O side. what is it about?

thanks in advance

STBYRUD
12th Sep 2011, 06:08
That would be a so-called aspirated TAT probe, one that should indicate OAT/SAT correctly even on ground with the heating applied because it draws in a stream of outside air over the sensor.

IFixPlanes
12th Sep 2011, 06:36
Sorry, but what kind of external inspection did you do?
If you do not know "aspirated TAT probes" you should not do any inspection on an aircraft.

STBYRUD
12th Sep 2011, 06:38
Good point... So... he flies Indigo? :E

DutchOne
12th Sep 2011, 07:09
Sorry, but what kind of external inspection did you do?
If you do not know "aspirated TAT probes" you should not do any inspection on an aircraft.

Hahaha, Sounds like someone is jealous :D

IFixPlanes
12th Sep 2011, 07:26
No, not jealous. Not every engineer wants to be a pilot. :ugh:
But after reading some of IFLY_INDIGOs Postings i am really scared. If this is the technical knowledge of a IndiGo pilots, i must add this airline to my "i donīt fly with..." list. ;)

IFLY_INDIGO
12th Sep 2011, 08:14
No, not jealous. Not every engineer wants to be a pilot. :ugh:
But after reading some of IFLY_INDIGOs Postings i am really scared. If this is the technical knowledge of a IndiGo pilots, i must add this airline to my "i donīt fly with..." list. ;)

You certainly seem to know more than what Airbus has disclosed in FCOMs. I have no problem in admitting what I don't know and I am keen to know new stuff always. We could use your extensive knowledge here if you don't mind.

I couldn't find about aspirated TAT probes in FCOMs.. could you give me the reference to FCOM?

STBYRUD
12th Sep 2011, 08:16
Sorry buddy, I fly a Boeing, got no reference to the FCOM, but a TAT probe that air comes out of is with 99% certainty an 'aspirated TAT probe', hence the name...

IFLY_INDIGO
12th Sep 2011, 08:25
What I learnt by searching on net is that this term 'aspirated TAT probe' is used in B737. In A320 FCOMs I could not find any such term yet..

STBYRUD
12th Sep 2011, 08:29
Five seconds of google revealed that there is an A320 for sale that has aspirated TAT probes installed, perhaps its a customer option like on the 737s...

IFLY_INDIGO
12th Sep 2011, 08:37
I just checked the FCOMs once again. ADIRS includes only 4 types of sensors: AOA, pitot, static, TAT.. since there is no OAT sensor separate, TAT probe fitted must be aspirated one only.. thanks for your efforts..

IFixPlanes
12th Sep 2011, 09:40
Aspirated TAT probes are an option.
Ohh, and i just checked the AMM and origin IGO A/Cs have no aspirated TAT probes.

But even when you have a airplane with this option you find no hint in the FCOM.
You have the option installed when (on ground) the TAT indication change after you put the APU bleed in on.
(source of the air is the x-bleed duct muscle pressure line to the Trim Air Pressure Regulating Valve)

IFLY_INDIGO
12th Sep 2011, 10:20
Aspirated TAT probes are an option.
Ohh, and i just checked the AMM and origin IGO A/Cs have no aspirated TAT probes.

But even when you have a airplane with this option you find no hint in the FCOM.
You have the option installed when (on ground) the TAT indication change after you put the APU bleed in on.
(source of the air is the x-bleed duct muscle pressure line to the Trim Air Pressure Regulating Valve)

your knowledge is quite appreciable.. I wish Airbus had not been so miser in providing technical 'nice to know' knowledge in its FCOMs, which are presently very succinct... do you have some A320 techinical pdfs to share with me? :)

IFixPlanes
12th Sep 2011, 10:42
The manufacturers are quite sensitive with copyright. :bored:
So the best way is to ask your maintenance for a copy.
Normally the AMM exist also in PDF, but the complete size is mor than 600 MB.
Most of its content is removal/installation and testing instruktion.
Only small areas (spread all over the dokument) describe the systems.
Without practice you probably lost yourself in the pages. :uhoh: