PDA

View Full Version : Power Outage on USA west coast

WestWind1950
10th Sep 2011, 16:48
Oddly I have not read anywhere on my usual European news sites or here on Pprune about the massive power outage which affected San Diego up to Orange county, CA, part of Arizona, as well as Tijuana, Mexico.

I mean, how often does such a large area have a black out? Especially with 9/11 coming up, it's quite weird.

One example of the reports. (http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/2011/sep/09/effect-of-power-outage-linger/)

If there has been a thread already, sorry if I missed it.

SpringHeeledJack
10th Sep 2011, 17:21
First I've heard it, and as you say, very strange considering that we get all sorts of 'local' news from the US that has no place in the news far away.

SHJ

west lakes
10th Sep 2011, 17:27
You should pop into the font of most bits of info from time to time

http://www.pprune.org/6689721-post1776.html

hellsbrink
10th Sep 2011, 17:27
According to this (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2035379/US-blackout-Worker-caused-power-cut-left-6m-darkness-Arizona-California.html), the whole thing was triggered by one man removing a piece of monitoring equipment in a substation in Yuma, triggering a cascade which dropped the grid.

OOPSIE!!!

Lon More
10th Sep 2011, 17:33
The last time this happened there was a huge surge in the birthrate nine months later.

WestWind1950
10th Sep 2011, 17:58
@west lakes... I used to read that often, but I miss so much it would take all day to catch up! lol

11Fan
10th Sep 2011, 18:17
Dedicated to this guy....

the whole thing was triggered by one man removing a piece of monitoring equipment in a substation in Yuma, triggering a cascade which dropped the grid.

http://www.etc.tuiasi.ro/cin/ImgFun/MISTAKES.JPG

radeng
11th Sep 2011, 08:15
I understood he was replacing a failed monitoring unit, which puts a different light on the responsibility. But it was on the BBC website and in the Telegraph.

tony draper
11th Sep 2011, 08:22
Always struck me that the distribution system Stateside and Canada seemed rather primitive ,still using pole lines and overhead cables even in the mddle of towns,saying that, tiz twenty five years since I was over the pond so things may have changed.
:)

VFD
11th Sep 2011, 14:35
I understood he was replacing a failed monitoring unit, which puts a different light on the responsibility
A monitoring unit would be just that a monitoring unit and not have any source to control anything.
Obviously it was a control unit.

VFD

Loose rivets
11th Sep 2011, 14:44
Nothing has changed, Mr D.

http://www.pprune.org/jet-blast/437840-power-units-plasma-palm-trees-painful-percussion-panic.html#post6145559

Worrals in the wilds
11th Sep 2011, 15:27
Always struck me that the distribution system Stateside and Canada seemed rather primitive ,still using pole lines and overhead cables even in the mddle of towns...

Sounds like the Land of Oz, where the cyclones keep ripping the lines down and the governments keep sticking them right back up...then OMG, a seasonal cyclone that turns up once a year takes out the power! Here's a thought, try sticking it the ground next time...:ugh:

hellsbrink
11th Sep 2011, 15:29
Always struck me that the distribution system Stateside and Canada seemed rather primitive ,still using pole lines and overhead cables even in the mddle of towns,saying that, tiz twenty five years since I was over the pond so things may have changed.

An advantage is when something goes TU then it can be repaired faster without the need to dig up a road and bugger up the traffic flow for 3 weeks like they do in the UK.............

Capetonian
11th Sep 2011, 15:34
I'm amazed that the conspiracy theorists haven't found their way onto this thread with their rantings! By the way I heard it on the BBC news several times on the day, so it got plenty of coverage.

con-pilot
11th Sep 2011, 16:29
In my housing area and all the new housing additions here all cables are underground. The electric company is slowly burying all the old overhead power cables, but it is slow and expensive job.

We are very lucky, a vice-president of the power company dated a lady that use to live next door. While he was dating her we lost power for two days in a severe ice storm. He promised her and us, that would not happen again unless the entire grid failed.

Since then, there have been a few occasions that there have been power failures in our neighborhood and her house and our's have been the only two in the neighborhood to have power.

One makes good friends with the rest of the neighbors when that happens, especially if the outage is due to a blizzard. :p

Jane-DoH
11th Sep 2011, 16:38
How long before our government will blame this on sabotage, and somehow distort this into either some kind of national/cyber security issue?

R.C.
"Never let a crisis go to waste, and should one fail to present itself, create one"

hellsbrink
11th Sep 2011, 16:42
They didn't from the very start, Jane, and you would have known that IF you read the reports there have been regarding this (even one posted in this very thread).

:ugh::ugh::ugh:

con-pilot
11th Sep 2011, 16:43
How long before our government will blame this on sabotage

For God's sake Jane, give it a break. We already know what happend.

:ugh:

Ya beat me to it, Hells. :D

west lakes
11th Sep 2011, 16:45
How long before our government will blame this on sabotage, and somehow distort this into either some kind of national/cyber security issue?
From a report at
NBC, msnbc.com and news services

updated 9/9/2011 1:21:19 AM ET

Niggli and FBI officials had earlier ruled out terrorism.Hey but don't let it get in the way of trying to start a rumour

OOPs 3rd in line there!

hellsbrink
11th Sep 2011, 16:46
I'm surprised she didn't try to blame it on all these top-secret backsplatter machines causing an overload.

How do they work anyway? Do they identify a bad guy and then play "the brown note" so he splatters from the rear?

west lakes
11th Sep 2011, 16:52
Reality is that any power grid in the world, given the right conditions, can cascade trip.
Operators have contingency plans to re-connect them but it will always take some time.