PDA

View Full Version : How to Transport an 18 month old up a mountain.

gingernut
9th Sep 2011, 19:21
Me and Mrs Ginge are looking after an 18month old bruiser (Dan).

I've just got to a stage in my life, where all I had to transport around was my beer belly.

All of a sudden, I've got Dan in tow most days of the week. Thankfully there's loads of wheelchair friendly routes which help us pass the time of day, but now surfing season's coming to a dark close, it's time for something more challenging.

One of me' favourite routes is the route between Castleton - Mam Tor - Castelton, which, to those who don't know, is elevated, steep and bumpy.

Now, when gingerette Mk1 was younger, I used to carry her on a back-pack, but advancing age has took a toll on my left knee so I'm guessing that a pushchair (or a knee replacment) is the only solution.

I've worn the existing chair to bits, thinking of getting one of these pneumatic three wheelers? Anyone got any experience of these? Are they really "all terrain?"

I was going to post this on mums.net but thought I may get more illuminating answers on here:)

SpringHeeledJack
9th Sep 2011, 19:42
Are they really "all terrain?"

They are, but they don't flatten out the bumps and your passenger might not appreciate all the movements, unless of course he's asleep ;) Don't forget the coming down is often more difficult than the going up as you have to resist the weight of the buggy and the contents, hard especially if the incline is steep. Have you considered one of those rucksack children carriers ? If said bruiser isn't too heavy your knee might not object too much.

SHJ

gingernut
9th Sep 2011, 20:09
have considered it SHJ but don't trust the stability of the joint now.

Think I'm getting old.:suspect:

Lord Spandex Masher
9th Sep 2011, 20:20
This'll work. Don't let the Missus watch though.

http://www.chriswindsor.com/images/03i-giant-catapult-big.jpg

lexxity
9th Sep 2011, 20:28
You want a mountain buggy (http://mountainbuggy.com/). Mountain buggy are a NZ company or you want a baby jogger (http://www.babyjogger.co.uk/summit.html) an American company. I've got a baby jogger, a city one, but it's the best stroller I've ever owned. (And that's been a few.)

Radar66
9th Sep 2011, 20:29
Or just walk up Snowdon instead, and then the baba can take the train. :)

gingernut
9th Sep 2011, 20:37
Fan daby dozy ladies, Mums net...eat ya'heart out.

Now the only decision to make now is; pneumatic or sold rubber?

Mrs G reckons solid rubber gain's less punctures, but she's not the one pushing it.

SpringHeeledJack
9th Sep 2011, 20:45
Not solid rubber Mr Ginger, otherwise the poor kid will hate you for it :ouch: The Mountain buggy's are great and the tyres are pretty robust, just like with a mtn bike, let the tyres down a bit when off road. They are, however somewhat expensive, so be warned.

SHJ

Checkboard
9th Sep 2011, 20:48
You could recognise that you are now a PARENT, your life has changed, and taking a new baby on an unnecessary and difficult (by your own admission) journey is selfish & immoral, and thus probably constitutes child abuse. :hmm:

Yes, your first impulse will be to whinge about my post - before you do, ask yourself:

Does an 18 month old WANT to climb a mountain?
Even if they don't, will it do them any good? Will they even remember it?
Do you want to climb this mountain?

If the answers are "No, No, Yes" - then you are risking the child for your satisfaction, not the child's. :cool:

Radar66
9th Sep 2011, 20:48
Fleabay is your friend.....

11Fan
9th Sep 2011, 20:50
Jeez Checkerboard, He's going to bring the child back down.....

Parapunter
9th Sep 2011, 20:51
Does an 18 month old WANT to climb a mountain?Probably not but social services get uppity when you leave them in the car park.

s selfish & immoral, and thus probably constitutes child abuse.Have a word with yourself sunshine, that is a major overreaction.

Checkboard
9th Sep 2011, 20:57
You're right - feckit, too much booze on my part.

Go ahead - strap the kid to your back, and climb Everest.

There is such a thing as a "babysitter" for those who want to go out and do stuff not appropriate for kids. :rolleyes:

Radar66
9th Sep 2011, 21:05
Checkers sweetie... it's fine. :)
Gingernuts is in the medical profession and has also been a successful parent before now and would, therefore, be fully aware of the risks.

It's good for kids to get out, and what little I know of Ginge, he'll look after that kid damn well. You can mollycoddle kids too much, and it's better for them if they learn to fit in with your lifestyle from the start. The walk that Ginger is talking about is just that, a walk, not a climb up a mountain, but it IS on uneven ground.

Hence his very sensible questions on transport. Ginge is an outdoors sort of laddo, as has been well documented on here, and the kid will have a blast with him.

There are stupid people out there - my personal bug bear is people who ski with their kids strapped onto their backs - THAT is stupid beyond belief, but what Ginge is proposing isn't. :ok:

gingernut
9th Sep 2011, 21:07
Good point Checkboard and thanks for the advice.

Does an 18 month old WANT to climb a mountain?
Even if they don't, will it do them any good? Will they even remember it?
Do you want to climb this mountain?
The reason's for my walking ambition are completely selfish, although, I do have to say, they were when my own kids were young, but they seemed to enjoy the fresh air (even in December !)

Dan is under my care, I'm not his parent in the true sense of the word, I'm just looking after him because he wasn't looked after well before.

'spose I've dressed the question up a bit, but I'm just trying to ask if I should get a three wheeler with pneumaic tyres, or one with solid rubber tyres.

Parapunter
9th Sep 2011, 21:09
Everest:

/..\
/.....\
/....... \
/...........\
/.............\
/................\

Peak District:

---^---^----^---^-- Tea shop.

Checkboard
9th Sep 2011, 21:18
OK. I recognise that I was being ... um ... argumentative. :)

However, perhaps a thread title of:
should get a three wheeler with pneumaic[sic] tyres, or one with solid rubber tyres.

would have provoked a better response than:
How to Transport an 18 month old up a mountain.

:cool:

gingernut
9th Sep 2011, 21:34
Okay, have changed the title.

Hill/Mountain sort of get's blurred.

Have to get up a 2600'foot rocky path. And get down. No danger's identified on a walk I've done many times before with Max (the dog).

Not "mountain" perhaps, but a big hill.

Believe me, no harm intended to Dan:)

DX Wombat
9th Sep 2011, 21:36
Keep going Checkers and Reddo won't need to take you to the vet, Gingernuts could probably make a few adjustments to you himself. :E ;)

Howard Hughes
9th Sep 2011, 21:40
One of these (http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/NEW-HIGGLEDEE-BABY-Grey-Baby-Holster-Backpack-RRP-119-/330608545572?pt=AU_Carriers_Backpacks&hash=item4cf9ce0f24) should balance out the beer belly! :ok:

tony draper
9th Sep 2011, 21:45
Best do it before they are born,nature has supplied us with built in sprog carrying sacks on our persons.
:rolleyes:

DX Wombat
9th Sep 2011, 21:47
Gingernuts, I have had an idea; why don't you invite Checkers along and introduce him to the very real joys of hillwalking. He could then carry the baby for you. :ok:

Parapunter
9th Sep 2011, 21:55
It's a fair idea Checkers hasn't familiarised theyself with the peaks...:suspect:

DX Wombat
9th Sep 2011, 23:11
He's delightful Gingernuts. :) All the fresh air, peace and beauty of the countryside will go a long way to helping him recover. He's a lucky lad to have you for a foster dad. :ok:

Caboclo
10th Sep 2011, 05:43
One well-built pram, plus one 5hp Honda, plus a few random bicycle parts should do for the kid. Add a pair of roller blades for you, and hit the road. :}

Mr Optimistic
10th Sep 2011, 13:03
Have a bit of sympathy for Checkerboard. A few years back yuppies across the road did something similar (though think the baby was a bit younger to be fair). Got a right chewing out by their GP. Think the concern was ears.

gingernut
10th Sep 2011, 19:12
GP's are paid to chew peoples ear's off.:)

Still struggling to see how taking a sprog round Mam Tor is any more selfish or immoral than keeping in the "front room", lying on the sofa, smoking twenty Benson's and watching Jeremy Kyle but perhaps that's a different argument.

Oh well, will have to make the dreaded risk assessment.

Anyway, have been to Mothercare to test these "all terrain" vehicles.

Don't think I could manage any of these contraptions around the hill's. And they cost five hundred quid.

Anyone done it themselves?

lexxity
10th Sep 2011, 19:55
They're easy peasy to push! Get them off fleabay though, new they are very expensive. Did you lock the front wheel to make them easier to push over bumpy ground?

Checkers is being daft, sorry mate but you really are. We cart our two all over the show, we've two buggies and a backpack to cover all ground.

visibility3miles
10th Sep 2011, 21:32
Talk someone else into helping, be it for bonding or fitness or via bribery.

You plan to bring said child back down from the mountain, rather than expect their enlightened feet to follow unaided?

If embarrassed by a slow ascent, you have the cutest excuse around, assuming they're sufficiently well fed, diapered, and amused.

If gung-ho sorts approach, hand them your darling along with a book to read or treat to feed, and rely on the kindness of strangers to help you climb, for the sake of the child, while you gamely struggle on with your gimpy leg.

Soldier on or sob, whichever is appropriate.

vulcanised
10th Sep 2011, 21:34
Will you be plagued with "Are we nearly there yet?"

Lon More
10th Sep 2011, 22:03
Something like this?
http://www.4-legged.com/images/T/Pet-Carrier-Blush-t.jpg
or this
http://300bps.org/gallery3/var/albums/funnyshit/aeb.jpg?m=1302976243

OFSO
11th Sep 2011, 09:33
Gingernut, my memories come flooding back, dad took me YHA-ing on the Castletown-Mam Tor route when I was a boy. Have his painting of the scene, Castletown in forground, Mam Tor "the shivering mountain" at the back. Dad must have painted this about 1968 after I'd left England and moved abroad. Great hill-walker, my dad.

http://i656.photobucket.com/albums/uu287/ROBIN_100/MamTor.jpg

DX Wombat
11th Sep 2011, 20:25
This little lad is being given a great start in his present life - he is being encouraged, albeit compulsory, to get out and about in the fresh air and get some exercise. Too many children these days are not given this opportunity, they don't even get to walk to school. Ginge is teaching by example. well done, carry on Ginge. :D :ok:

west lakes
11th Sep 2011, 20:28
Though as this is an aviation site

Helicopter

Simple :E

DX Wombat
11th Sep 2011, 20:51
Great idea Westie! HMS Gannet would do. :)

west lakes
11th Sep 2011, 20:53
Hey, could even try a really powerful remote control one, covers carrying the 18 month and a big boy toy for Gingernut. :)

DX Wombat
11th Sep 2011, 21:04
This one might fill the bill Westie.
http://i00.i.aliimg.com/photo/v0/422994174/big_remote_control_helicopter_QS8005.jpg
or this one:
http://craziestgadgets.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/largest-rc-helicopter.jpg

DX Wombat
11th Sep 2011, 21:57
A little in-flight entertainment for Ginge and Dan.

Mein Vater War Ein Wandersmann1 - YouTube