PDA

View Full Version : Squatters

OFSO
9th Sep 2011, 17:31
A good friend became deputy mayor in a nearby town this year. A few days ago he received a formal complaint that there were some yobs squatting in a house in his community. He gathered another councillor and some of the larger Municipal Policemen, went round to the house and the squatters were encouraged to depart. The house was then secured.

Probably nobody will be surprised to hear that he was then criticised from above for not waiting for a lawyer etc to ensure that the legal rights of the squatters were observed.

His reaction was that he was elected to defend the interests of the residents in his community and as long as he wasn't actually thrown in prison he would continue to do just that.

Nice to hear that common sense and integrity has not entirely departed.

Parapunter
9th Sep 2011, 17:38
All very true. However, if they are protected in law & I have no idea, nor do I care at all for squatters, the question is this: What is the point of the law if you pick & choose which ones to follow?

Slasher
9th Sep 2011, 17:43
the legal rights of the squatters

How the hell can they have legal rights???

vulcanised
9th Sep 2011, 17:49
We need people like that in the UK.

Trouble is, they would end up in a cell.

con-pilot
9th Sep 2011, 18:08
How the hell can they have legal rights???

Risking the dreaded 'off topic thread drift', but I'd guess the same way illlegal immgratants have legal rights over here.

OFSO
9th Sep 2011, 18:29
IMHO, legal rights are earned by respecting the law yourself. If we start saying people who break the law still have legal rights, we end up in situations where - for example - a burglar who breaks into your house and trips over an unsecured power cord and breaks his leg, can sue the houseowner. Of course things like that could never happen, could they ?

lomapaseo
9th Sep 2011, 18:40
In some societies there is a differenne between a tresspaser and a squatter.

A squatter typiclly applies to one who has set up a homestead (lives, eats and sleeps there).

Try pushing the Rio squatters off their hillside and see what happens.

Than there are the farmers and sheep herders of the US Ole West.

baggersup
9th Sep 2011, 18:41
I get the whole squatters history and how it came to this, etc.

But one thing that always defies credulity is that they are perfectly allowed to enter someone's home and take over as long as they don't "break in."

Does anybody REALLY believe this many home owners who are away at another property or on holiday went away with doors and windows all unlocked?? Of course it does occur in some homes. But in all of these?

Just the fact that they come in and change the locks on SOMEBODY ELSE'S HOME (!!!) is enough to cry foul. Isn't it?

I often admire the way the French get around laws by making other laws that indirectly get what they want. Maybe something could be done that helps to accomplish a solution until squatting can be made illegal (which of course will never happen as it will be immediately appealed to the EU human rights court and be overturned. We already know that.)

Instead of making squatting illegal, why don't Parliament immediately enact emergency legislation making it illegal to change a lock on a property for which you do not have legal entitlement?

It's a start! :hmm:

Another thing I simply don't understand is the squatters are removing all of the home owners personal property, taking it away, discarding it and stripping appliances from all of the kitchens and bathrooms.

Why isn't that theft and chargeable as such? Even if they cannot charge squatting....they have stolen property en masse with no legal recourse?

Why?

fitliker
9th Sep 2011, 19:00
The tide may be turning .After decades of stupidity in old blighty:D:D

baggersup
9th Sep 2011, 19:06
One can hope.

But I fear we all know what will happen when all these lawyers who defend squatters take the any new anti-sq laws to the human rights court. Sigh. But hope springs for those invaded and affected.

The plight of the two retired nurses who came home to find all of their belongings ransacked and thrown away, the single woman who came home from holiday to find everything she owned was destroyed with the intruders drinking her wine and wearing her clothing...and then the piece de resistance of the pregnant wife and her husband finding their new home into which they were hoping to bring their new baby defiled...

...such heartbreaking stories. And to think nobody official stood up for them until they went to court to try to get relief--and even then it was inadequate to recoup their financial losses.

Having just returned to my own home after being in the UK for a few months made me realize what it would be like to return home to find everything that means something to you gone...a mother's irreplaceable momento or a father's watch he wore during WW2, etc. It's hard to fathom the trauma of that kind of invasion and destruction.

It's one thing when mother nature creates such destruction. But to think a society/government/police force looks away when yobs just do it for no other reason than...they can...seems such insult to injury.

Hey! How about suing the squatters in civil court for "emotional distress!" (Okay. Tongue in cheek but a cheeky idea nevertheless!):D

11Fan
9th Sep 2011, 19:11
a burglar who breaks into your house and trips over an unsecured power cord and breaks his leg,

Does make for an easier target though.

baggersup
9th Sep 2011, 19:13
Heck, think i'd be scouring the market for disused tear gas cannisters to throw inside my home whilst it was...errr...occupied....oops! Oh dear, how DID that happen, the cannister must have slipped out of my pocket!

oops.

Standard Noise
9th Sep 2011, 20:38
I'd just get into my house however I needed and sort the feckers out, then let the rozzers take me to court. It's still trial by jury and you might be hard pressed to find a jury who'd convict you for taking back your property.

Anyhoo, I have a duty to protect the legally held shotguns I own and by 'breaking in' to my house, all I'd be doing is preventing them from falling into the hands of those who have no legal right to touch/use/own them. Then I suppose when faced with an angry, armed Ulsterman, the squatters resolve may well crumble. Ho hum.

RedhillPhil
9th Sep 2011, 21:59
My old mate Mr. Baseball-Bat can prove to be a friend indeed.

Mechta
9th Sep 2011, 23:33
My old mate Mr. Baseball-Bat can prove to be a friend indeed.

From Amazon Registers Steep Rise in Sale of Baseball Bats, Batons | ITProPortal.com (http://www.itproportal.com/2011/08/10/amazon-registers-steep-rise-sale-baseball-bats-batons/)

The British version of online retail giant Amazon has witnessed an overwhelming 5000 percent growth in the sales of baseball bats and police batons in the last 24 hours as the capital city suffered from the most violent unrest in the recent years.

Baseball bats, which can also be used as a weapon, comprised seven out of the top 10 products in the ‘movers and shakers’ section in the site’s leisure and sports list. The sales of various kind of baseball bats along with many other objects that can be potentially used as weapons, registered a massive upward turn since the beginning of the week- in between 1,756 percent and 5,149 percent.

I was actually looking for a clip of the comedian who asked when was the last time a baseball bat was actually sold in the UK for the purpose of playing baseball...

Solid Rust Twotter
10th Sep 2011, 07:50
Probably worth investing in a mitt as well to provide some depth to your story of using it for sporting purposes should the gendarmerie stop you.

goudie
10th Sep 2011, 08:19
I keep, what was my grandson's baseball bat, in the downstairs cloakroom.

We live in a quiet neighbourhood but if we were ever threatened, I'd have no qualms about using it. Sod the consequences.

Slasher
10th Sep 2011, 08:30
I'm the same Goudie - baseball bat, wife's huge Asian meat
cleaver and couple of old trusty AK47s (if it came to it and I'd
have no qualms whatsoever if me and/or the fam's lives were
even hinted at being threatened).

Fortunately I've lived (and still live) in countries where one
has the full right to defend oneself with no consequences. No
squatters around here - no one would be dumb enough to try
it.

Lon More
10th Sep 2011, 10:07
I've got two baseball bats; a traditional wooden one and an aluminium one. The aluminium one is much more wieldy and enables you to hit a precise target.

It costs a fortune to get them out here in Neddyland as well. Large hairy bikers with big Allegayshun dogs are the best method.

Mac the Knife
10th Sep 2011, 10:32
"If we start saying people who break the law still have legal rights...."

Of course they do. Though not necessarily to your house!

I'm no tree-hugging shrinking violet, nor do I love squatters but that really is a rather more than usually unthought out comment.

Mac

OFSO
10th Sep 2011, 12:00
I keep, what was my grandson's baseball bat, in the downstairs cloakroom

I'm intreagued. Is this because you anticipate being in there when the miscreants break in and you will burst out of the door and whang them ?? Or will they break in slowly, giving you time to slip in there, retrieve the bat and etc etc.....

Personally I think a conveyor belt installed in the hallway would do the trick. Run one way, bring guests and groceries in; in reverse, get rid of potential squatters.

goudie
10th Sep 2011, 12:20
baseball bat, in the downstairs cloakroom

OFSO, I picture the scenario thus. Mrs G wakes me up to say there are burglars downstairs. Having failed to make her go to investigate, I creep downstairs and sure enough there are burglars ransacking the house.:eek:
I have a sudden urge to use the loo.
In the loo is the baseball bat, I emerge from the loo like a 'Whirling Dervish', burglars drop their ill-gotten gains and flee. I return to the bedroom, a hero....!:ok:

Meanwhile Mrs G has dialled 999, two days later the police turn up! I don't mention the baseball bat.

green granite
10th Sep 2011, 12:41
Since the British police can arrest anyone on suspicion of anything, why cant they arrest all the squatters on suspicion of breaking and entering then if they find they cant prove release them. Meanwhile you have claimed your property back and thrown their stuff outside.

hellsbrink
10th Sep 2011, 14:35
Hmmmm. Just had a thought.

What about securing the services of a local hunt at silly o'clock in the morning? You break down the door of your own house and send a few foxhounds in. Then stand back and wait for what is left of the scumbags to emerge, at high speed, where you can claim "self defence" when they suddenly say "Hello" to a baseball bat/cricket bat/etc........

Firestorm
10th Sep 2011, 14:51
hellsbrink: because of another stupid law (thanks Mr B Liar) that means that you can't hunt pests and vermin with dogs.

But there is nothing to stop an urban fox ripping a new one in a crusty with a soap allergy.

hellsbrink
10th Sep 2011, 15:07
But, Firey, said law from Bliar's lot specifies what is illegal to hunt with hounds.

Soap dodgers and parasites are not included so, therefore, are fair game.

Firestorm
10th Sep 2011, 15:17
I didn't read the small print of hellsbrink. Or any of the print of it... ;) Hunting is still going on!

I was trying to find Derek and Clive relating the tale of Squatter and The Ant.