PDA

View Full Version : Krokodil

ORAC
9th Sep 2011, 08:43
How long before this gets a hold in the rest of Europe? :eek::eek:

Krokodil: The drug that eats junkies (http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/krokodil-the-drug-that-eats-junkies-2300787.html)

...........The home-made drug that Oleg and Sasha inject is known as krokodil, or "crocodile". It is desomorphine, a synthetic opiate many times more powerful than heroin that is created from a complex chain of mixing and chemical reactions, which the addicts perform from memory several times a day. While heroin costs from 20 to 60 per dose, desomorphine can be "cooked" from codeine-based headache pills that cost 2 per pack, and other household ingredients available cheaply from the markets.

It is a drug for the poor, and its effects are horrific. It was given its reptilian name because its poisonous ingredients quickly turn the skin scaly. Worse follows. Oleg and Sasha have not been using for long, but Oleg has rotting sores on the back of his neck.

"If you miss the vein, that's an abscess straight away," says Sasha. Essentially, they are injecting poison directly into their flesh. One of their friends, in a neighbouring apartment block, is further down the line.

"She won't go to hospital, she just keeps injecting. Her flesh is falling off and she can hardly move anymore," says Sasha. Photographs of late-stage krokodil addicts are disturbing in the extreme. Flesh goes grey and peels away to leave bones exposed. People literally rot to death.......................

handsfree
9th Sep 2011, 08:54
Ideal candidates for the Darwin Award.

Strange things human beings. :sad:

sisemen
9th Sep 2011, 09:01
Brilliant! Let's get all the druggies onto it.

Worrals in the wilds
9th Sep 2011, 09:06
Cooking up codeine for povvy 'heroin' has been around for a while here, at least twenty years or so. Actually I'm surprised the Russians hadn't figured it out earlier. I wasn't aware of all those side effects though. Interesting article.

Thanks to these bozos, the sale of codeine and pseudoephedrine is now heavily regulated here. There are forms to sign, licenses to check and quite a hunt to find a pharmacist who'll even stock them due to the break-ins that invariably follow (the druggies send people around to innocently buy a packet and then burgle the place that night). Making codeine prescription only doesn't address this issue. I understand the pharmacists' predicament but getting supplies is a total PITA if you take either of those drugs for a legitmate medical reason.

Slasher
9th Sep 2011, 09:18
That's right Worrals. Last time in Oz I was after a few boxes of
Codrals for a cold I had then. Confronted with all sorts of forms
and silly crap because it appears one is assumed to be a member
of the street trash drug brigade until proven otherwise.

Load of absolute bullshit. Give every drug taker truckloads of
codeine and be rid of 'em once and for all. :*

troppo
9th Sep 2011, 09:23
Can't believe people are still doing IV drugs...
Give em reusable needles wth every truckload of codeine while we're at it

Worrals in the wilds
9th Sep 2011, 09:23
Sneezing all over the staff seems to hurry the process along a bit. :E Unfortunately the drug producers got very savvy about recruiting respectable looking people like grandmothers and suitwearing guys, hence the paperwork.

IV's become a bit uncool here, particularly heroin; but I'm guessing that the backblocks of Moscow haven't caught up with the latest trends in Drug Culture yet. :hmm:

Oldie but a goldie...
9mgjZK46_uw

Cacophonix
9th Sep 2011, 09:32
Krokodil might be a nasty drug and a big problem but the scale of the alcohol problem and the distillation of illegal and potentially poisonous vodka is a much bigger problem in Russia.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sponsored/russianow/society/6931039/Russias-war-on-illegal-alcohol.html (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sponsored/russianow/society/6931039/Russias-war-on-illegal-alcohol.html)

Caco

stuckgear
9th Sep 2011, 09:51
Krokodil might be a nasty drug and a big problem but the scale of the alcohol problem and the distillation of illegal and potentially poisonous vodka is a much bigger problem in Russia.

It's now a big problem here in the UK as well, what with the level of taxation and duty placed on alchohol, Eastern European gangs operating multiple stills on an industrial scale has also become the norm.

As for Krocodil, i just googled it and some of the images of what it does to the body. JESUS!

troppo
9th Sep 2011, 09:56
anything like what this one could do to you?
Giant crocodile captured alive in Philippines - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/giant-crocodile-captured-alive-philippines-134625838.html)

radeng
9th Sep 2011, 10:38
Worrals,

Is codeine available on prescription in Oz? I always carry some paracetamol/codeine in case the sciatica starts up on me. I could see problems entering Oz with them (even with a doctor's letter), although when I declared the steroids, all they asked was if they were for personal use.

Worrals in the wilds
9th Sep 2011, 10:46
Bring a prescription or doctor's letter and you can't go wrong. Declare on your IPC as well (Q2 from memory). Realistically, if you don't have a suitcase full you're not going to have issues, but any controlled drug is better accompanied by a letter. This also applies to steroids and drugs like methadone. Drug smuggling (as opposed to narcotics smuggling) is quite a big business between Australia and SEA because a lot of pharmaceuticals that are controlled in Australia are over the counter in Asia and people see a business opportunity :suspect: .

It's a PITA to get here so you'd be better bringing your own. Not impossible, but difficult because not all pharmacies stock the stuff and if they don't know you, even the ones that stock it will probably say they don't. If it's a short stay and you only need a couple of packets, BYO. If it's a longer stay, establish a relationship with a local provider.

As for Krocodil, i just googled it and some of the images of what it does to the body. JESUS!

Agreed :eek:. Heroin's not real pretty in its end stages, either. The teeth decay and body abscesses sound similar.

troppo
9th Sep 2011, 10:46
Reminds me of a joke.
Why don't (insert ethnic group) like panadol?
Because they're white and they work. :}

Dop
9th Sep 2011, 10:52
Cake is a made up drug

g0GxUxKZdHk

birrddog
9th Sep 2011, 13:20
At first I thought this was a thread about P.W. Botha!

parabellum
9th Sep 2011, 13:28
A South African friend who had seen a lot of drug abuse had an unconventional approach to getting drug abuse stopped.

Government sponsored, pile it high on street corners, needles supplied, totally free. As soon as it was made totally free by governments the dealers and pushers would be out of business and imports would stop, why? No money. Possibly some glaring faults in such a policy but I do like the sound of it!