PDA

View Full Version : portable GPS units

alpharobin
8th Sep 2011, 12:50
I fly a Robin 2160 which is fitted with a Garmin 250xl. its display though is very "numerical" and I would much prefere a moving map design. The two possabilities I have looked at so far ar the Sky Deamon and the Airbox Clarity 2. The Sky Deamon I am told does have vey good planing capability and I am looking for a unit which will assiste me in this but is also very intuative, essy to use and not full of functions which I will never use.At the moment my bias is towards the Clarity as it has a 7inch screen thus giving a better perception of what is ahead and the maps used are Jeppesen so it is easy to cross reference between the screen presentation and the map on my lap. The downside though is that it is quite large and there is no place on the dash where it could be mounted without obscuring instruments, in saying that most units would blank out a dial or two. So it would need to be sucker mounted to the canopy or fitted to a lap board or laid on the P2 seat.
The question I have then is either some first hand experience with either of these units or to pose questions that I have not considered about the merits of either of these GPS's. Any help would be appriciated.

avionimc
8th Sep 2011, 14:13
Why not a Garmin 296? Or a 695?